PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

BriEOD
03-21-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a new impeller and am curious where you all are getting yours and what the best price is. DIM has them for mid 30's.

AR Footer
03-21-2005, 11:01 AM
I bought one from DIM last fall because they had the cheapest price that I was able to find for my 85.

jsonova99
03-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I bought mine on SKIDIM, I think it was like $29.99 for the Johnson 812, not sure which one you need though. I didn't do a lot of hunting though. Generally anything under $50 I just buy from the easiest place which is generally SKIDIM because I can just do it online.

east tx skier
03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
$28 or $29 from dim last year. Overtons was about the same.

OhioProstar
03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I think BAWS had them for around $27.

Tom023
03-21-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm putting one of these in this year just to try it out.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/search.htm?step=2&viewfrom=1&numresults=40&searchterm=globe

MarkP
03-21-2005, 01:51 PM

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/search.htm?step=2&viewfrom=1&numresults=40&searchterm=globe
Do you have a crossover chart??

jsonova99
03-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Totally unrelated, but I had to chime in. I konw the guy who owns Hamilton's Marine. My Mom and Aunts grew up with him in Maine. Great guy, he has a floating catalog for a boat, your jaw would drop to see all of the gadgets he's got. Anyway, just though I'd add that. Good place to go if the prices are right. :)

86PowerSlot190MC
03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I purchased one for my 86 two weeks ago from Skidim $21.95.

G-man
03-21-2005, 02:03 PM
I had a globe impeller for a short while. If I started my engine and went at idle speed for a couple of minutes without going about 20 mph engine would overheat. The impeller didn't have enough suction at idle. This only happened the first time the boat was started in the day. There were no air leaks to cause this. I went back to the black impeller and no problems.

rem_pss308
03-21-2005, 03:56 PM
SkiDim.com for me too.

Can't go wrong there.

Also Vince can aswer just about any questions about your boat.

jsonova99
03-21-2005, 04:02 PM
SkiDim.com for me too.

Can't go wrong there.

Also Vince can aswer just about any questions about your boat.

Vince is great, he's made all of my maintenenance work that much easier by making sure I get the right parts the first time.

MarkP
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
I had a globe impeller for a short while. If I started my engine and went at idle speed for a couple of minutes without going about 20 mph engine would overheat. The impeller didn't have enough suction at idle. This only happened the first time the boat was started in the day. There were no air leaks to cause this. I went back to the black impeller and no problems.Thats good to know.. Thanks

Tom023
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I had a globe impeller for a short while. If I started my engine and went at idle speed for a couple of minutes without going about 20 mph engine would overheat. The impeller didn't have enough suction at idle. This only happened the first time the boat was started in the day. There were no air leaks to cause this. I went back to the black impeller and no problems.

I'll let you know how it works out, hopefully yours was an isolated case. I read somewhere the Coast Guard uses them so I would think they would be reliable.

lakes Rick
03-21-2005, 07:38 PM
A local boat repair shop has them in stock locally..... I think under $30.....

Leroy
03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
I bought at local MC dealer, $39.95!

toothawk
03-21-2005, 09:25 PM
where do you find out what impeller you need for your particular boat??? The maintenance manual just says to replace it every year, doesn't give the parts number of what you actually need.....

MarkP
03-21-2005, 10:13 PM
where do you find out what impeller you need for your particular boat??? The maintenance manual just says to replace it every year, doesn't give the parts number of what you actually need.....
If you call DIM they will know. It is a GREAT place to shop. They know what you need:headbang:

BriEOD
03-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses. You're dam skippy DIM knows everything. I purchased my impeller off their site today and they called me to ask about it. I ordered the same impeller that came out of my water pump. The waterpump I have doesn't go on an Indmar engine...hmmmm. I have a PCM engine in my MC. Not that it makes a dam bit a difference it runs fine. But, I am still perplexed at what this guy did that I bought it from. I had to replace the long block when I bought it but just used the same bolt on parts because my issue was a block problem. So who knows what kind of "blank" rigging they did.

SkySkiSpokane
03-21-2005, 10:59 PM
A PCM in a MC!! :eek3:
I gotta see this. We need some pics!!

MarkP
03-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Dude

I think you had better take a look under the Mastercraft decals:uglyhamme

BriEOD
03-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Lance made a comment about my altenator being on the right side the other day. Than I looked at the DIM site and they have some photos of various engine. The engine in my MC is configured in the same manner as a PCM. The altenator is to the top right and the water pump is belt driven and down to the left. I'll take some pictures and post. It runs tip-top and I never knew the difference but it is not configured as an Indmar engine from this era.

sfitzgerald351
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
A PCM in a MC!! :eek3:
I gotta see this. We need some pics!!

Didn't MC use PCM at first for all their boats? My 1984 is a PCM.

jsonova99
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I think so, I think it was 86 or 87 when they switched, but I could be wrong.

Lance
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
87 definitely should have an Indmar. I believe that 86 was the year they went to Indmar. 86 is kind of a transition year as MC had moved away from the stars and stripes and believe they might have used the new hull that eventually went into 87 - 9? boats but had not used the new top half. Also the graphics pattern was only used for one year.

Could be wrong on the hull though.

Lance

SkySkiSpokane
03-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I stand corrected! :o

BriEOD
03-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Alright here are some photos. As I said the water pump is in the lower left postion and the alternator is in the top right. According to DIM this is how PCM engines are set up. Also, the impeller I bought from them (took over night to get here, gotta love it) said PCM on it. Lance do you have any photos of your engine?

BriEOD
03-22-2005, 09:16 PM
A closer view of the water pump.

BriEOD
03-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Here is a stern looking forward shot...

MarkP
03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm:confused:

Lance
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't have any pictures of mine (and don't have access to my boat now) but there are probably some somewhere on this site. That definitely looks to me like the PCM setup that was used in earlier MCs. Defnitely isn't the same as a standard 351W Indmar. I'll look for pictures here and on ebay.

BriEOD
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm:confused:

I see the hamster is running on the wheel, so do you care to elaborate?

Brn85ss
03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Same set up as my 85, minus the carb cover.

BriEOD
03-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok, maybe they pulled it out of an older boat and stuck it in an 87'. I suspect that is the case. Their are a lot of parts on this that I don't see in other boats similar in age.

Lance
03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
The link below contains a picture of someones 351 Indmar that is essentially the same as what should have been in the 87 when it was new. This isn't a great angle for comparing to your PCM version but you can see the differences in placement of water pump, alternator, etc. The difference between the one in this picture and my 87 are as follows:

1: Valve covers are chromed in the 87 and simply have a mastercraft sticker rather than machined label,

2: Water pump pully (for the normal engine water pump rather than raw water pump) is black on the 87

3: Plastic cover over the carburetor covers the distributor in this picture where the original was only slightly larger than the flame arrestor but was square

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=127&sort=1&cat=501&page=10

I am not sure why mastercraft moved away from PCM but I am sure the PCM is a good engine. I have a friend that has an 85 that he has been beating the he!! out of for the last two decades and that thing just keeps going with its PCM engine. In fact he is always giving me a hard time because his is a real MC with Stars & Stripes and the PCM. To a certain extent I have to agree with him in that it has been a great boat and says MC all over it.

I wouldn't worry too much BiEOD as long as it does what it needs to and you know that when you buy parts not to say you have an 87 MC with Indmar.

BriEOD
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey thanks for the response Lance. I guess it is more of a curiosity thing than a worry thing. The motor runs tip-top now that I replaced the long block. We have a lot of fun with it. I just like to be able to speak inteligently when people ask me 'why?'

Bongo
03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
BriEOD,

Here are a couple pictures of my '89 w/351W and Indmar setup. I believe this is the same engine as in Lance's boat and has the 3 features he enumerates.

Bongo

Bongo
03-23-2005, 01:48 AM
... According to DIM this is how PCM engines are set up. Also, the impeller I bought from them (took over night to get here, gotta love it) said PCM on it. ...

I keep a spare set of maintenance items on hand; e.g. spark plugs, points, condenser, impeller, etc. I pulled out the still-in-shrink-wrap impellor Iíve got and it is listed as a PCM item. Iím pretty sure I purchased this from skidim a few years ago and my set-up is by Indmar. I presume a lot of the Indmar and PCM parts are interchangeable. (Yes, I compared it to one I pulled out previously, and it is the same.) Therefore, I wouldnít assume that just because skidim sent you a PCM impeller, your engine was marinized (marinated? :) ) by PCM.

Now the other evidence you point outÖ

Bongo

jsonova99
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM
The impeller is the same, I just installed one in mine. I have the Indmar 351 but the impellar came in a PCM package. Fit like a champ. In fact most of the parts I have bought so far have been PCM and fit the Indmar just fine.

quincyfirefighter
03-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Has anyone try or own one of the Jabsco impeller pullers. Thinking it would be a good tool for the first-aid kit for my boat :cool: Allready have the OJ Spare Prop Case. Kind of cool.

jsonova99
03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I used the paint can openers from Home Depot. Worked pretty good. I don't remember who posted that idea but it was a good one, and free! It also takes up minimial space in the small emergency kit I'm putting together to keep in the boat.

Tom023
03-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I got one and will be using it on Friday. I've struggled with impeller removal on my v-drive, so I figured the puller is the way to go, especially if I have to do one out on the water. Grabbing it with pliers is not the way to go.

Sledneck
04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey Brian,

I'm jumping into this thread kind of late I suppose.. but since I've got basically an indentical boat the same year/model/color (mine's just lacking all of the new goodies you've added, looks great by the way!), I saw the pic and was thingking wierd, my waterpump is different too.. Here's a pic for reference, not that it matters.. just looks like some one went to a different style waterpump for whatever reason..

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-05-2005, 10:45 PM
The engine you show, and the raw water pump on it, look to be the standard Indmar Ford configuration.

BriEOD
04-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the reply Sledneck. Lots of similarities and differences jumping out at me. However, as you can see my waterpump and altenator are in the opposite spot as yours. Also, I have PCM risers/exhaust manifolds not the MC brand. It appears I have the same carb and flame arrestor cover. Very interesting.