PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner Disaster......

6ballsisall
12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
So this evening I put a 12 lbs. brisket in my Bullet smoker for the long 22 hour smoke session (just in time for Christmas Eve dinner) From the get go, things went sour........It's a gas smoker, and for whatever reason I couldnt keep the burner lit??? It was a brand new tank of propane, it ran GREAT for about 10 minutes then it would peeter out...... So I say enoughs enough and decide to go old school and use lump coal and smoke it that way. I get the heat dialed in, toss on some Hickory and smart smokin....All is going well until my Dad yells out that the smoker is on FIRE!!!! So i go out back and the smoker EASILY has 8' flames out the top!!! Needless to say I pull the hose out, kill the fire and see what the meat looks like. CHARCOAL!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: I am so bummed....... We cut off some of the outer coal and wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to finish it off. Who knows how it will turn out, we may be ordering Dominos for Christmas Dinner.......:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
What caued the flame/fire in the smoker?? Was the fire in the box or in the smoker? :confused:

I'm guessing that brisket just needs to be left to us boys in Texas!!! :D

Maristar210
12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
What caued the flame/fire in the smoker?? Was the fire in the box or in the smoker? :confused:

I'm guessing that brisket just needs to be left to us boys in Texas!!! :D

No way ....

You stupid hilljacks would have burnt down the house as well

Jeff- You have a blown regulator in that smoker or a line is cut?

Be carefull

erkoehler
12-23-2007, 09:45 PM
How cold is it? I've had a propane tank "freeze" and the flame goes out in our snowmobile trailer.

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2007, 09:53 PM
That is true with the propane the regulator will get frosty and I think not flow right.

And 210/numb-nuts he said lump charcoal!!!!!! 8p

Grease fire from the last stuff in the smoker??? And that burning grease will not impart a savory flavor on your brisket.

Footin
12-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Go to the drive thru at Burger King.......can't go wrong.

6ballsisall
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
No way ....

You stupid hilljacks would have burnt down the house as well

Jeff- You have a blown regulator in that smoker or a line is cut?

Be carefull

Thats what I am thinking too.......I think it was the regulator.

Doesn't really matter now, it's toast! It got hot enough it melted down!! :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
12-23-2007, 09:59 PM
That is true with the propane the regulator will get frosty and I think not flow right.

And 210/numb-nuts he said lump charcoal!!!!!! 8p

Grease fire from the last stuff in the smoker??? And that burning grease will not impart a savory flavor on your brisket.

Yep I think grease fire is what did it in. However, the smoker was clean. This brisket had a nice 1/2 fat cap on it which I think caught fire....:mad:

bcampbe7
12-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Sound like "Big Green Egg" time.

Leroy
12-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Too bad JR, was the hickory soaked in water?

6ballsisall
12-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Too bad JR, was the hickory soaked in water?

Yes it was

kycat2007
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear it Jeff. I know all will be well but that really sucked.

erkoehler
12-24-2007, 12:26 AM
So, where are the pics?

TMCNo1
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Take'um all to KFC for the Colonel's Buffet!

tex
12-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Jeff, My advice to you is to drink heavely!:)

milkmania
12-24-2007, 01:55 AM
So this evening I put a 12 lbs. brisket in my Bullet smoker for the long 22 hour smoke session (just in time for Christmas Eve dinner) From the get go, things went sour........It's a gas smoker, and for whatever reason I couldnt keep the burner lit??? It was a brand new tank of propane, it ran GREAT for about 10 minutes then it would peeter out...... So I say enoughs enough and decide to go old school and use lump coal and smoke it that way. I get the heat dialed in, toss on some Hickory and smart smokin....All is going well until my Dad yells out that the smoker is on FIRE!!!! So i go out back and the smoker EASILY has 8' flames out the top!!! Needless to say I pull the hose out, kill the fire and see what the meat looks like. CHARCOAL!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: I am so bummed....... We cut off some of the outer coal and wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to finish it off. Who knows how it will turn out, we may be ordering Dominos for Christmas Dinner.......:rolleyes:

don't forget to pop in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!!!!

beats out Charlie Brown everytime at our house;)

milkmania
12-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Thats what I am thinking too.......I think it was the regulator.

Doesn't really matter now, it's toast! It got hot enough it melted down!! :rolleyes:

next time you try running the regulator in freezing weather.....

try microwaving one of those "Corn Therapeutic bags" and putting it on top of the regulator.
we got this little ol' neighbor lady that makes them, but here's what I'm talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEARANCE-CORN-BAG-HOT-COLD-HEATING-PAD-FLANNEL-BCMM_W0QQitemZ160191743968QQihZ006QQcategoryZ36439 QQcmdZViewItem

I use a 100 pound bottle with regulator on the travel trailer, instead of the two little bottles it came with.
trust me, it works;)

Mikey
12-24-2007, 05:17 AM
I am a huge fan of smoked brisket but I will say the best brisket I have ever had was cooked in the oven.:o I dont have my recipe book with me to share with you but I used a certain dry rub on it and it turned out amazing. Hopefully yours turns out OK. :)

TMCNo1
12-24-2007, 07:38 AM
next time you try running the regulator in freezing weather.....

try microwaving one of those "Corn Therapeutic bags" and putting it on top of the regulator.
we got this little ol' neighbor lady that makes them, but here's what I'm talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEARANCE-CORN-BAG-HOT-COLD-HEATING-PAD-FLANNEL-BCMM_W0QQitemZ160191743968QQihZ006QQcategoryZ36439 QQcmdZViewItem

I use a 100 pound bottle with regulator on the travel trailer, instead of the two little bottles it came with.
trust me, it works;)

If the bag of corn got hot enough, would you then have popcorn?:rolleyes:

SkiDog
12-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Take'um all to KFC for the Colonel's Buffet!
Or in your case, Waffle House!:D :uglyhamme :purplaugh

TX.X-30 fan
12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I am a huge fan of smoked brisket but I will say the best brisket I have ever had was cooked in the oven I dont have my recipe book with me to share with you but I used a certain dry rub on it and it turned out amazing. Hopefully yours turns out OK.

The oven????? :rant: :rant: :rant: :eek3:

TMCNo1
12-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Or in your case, Waffle House!:D :uglyhamme :purplaugh

That's right, A Waffle House Party Tray would please the whole crowd too!

Mikey
12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
The oven????? :rant: :rant: :eek3:

Yeah, I know, saying the word "oven" in texas is blasphemy.:D I do love smoked brisket but if its done right in the oven it comes out just as good and sometimes better.

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I'll download the pics tomorrow of how the smoker looks.......it's a goner! The temp gauge is still pegged @ 800 degrees. I am not sure how the paint was cured on it (seems stronger than powder coating?) but it popped and flaked off.

Suprisingly enough, the Brisket wasn't bad! I took it out of the disaster, foiled it, and put it in the oven and finished it off. @ 185 degrees internal temp, I pulled it and put it in the crockpot.. This morning I fired the crockpot up and by this evening it was soft and tender as can be. Of course, we had to cut off the 1/2 of char from the outside first........:rolleyes:

Oh well, at least we didn't burn the house down!

Merry Christmas all!!

Mikey
12-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Glad it worked out Jeff. Merry Christmas to you too.

atlfootr
12-25-2007, 10:35 AM
So this evening I put a 12 lbs. brisket in my Bullet smoker for the long 22 hour smoke session (just in time for Christmas Eve dinner) From the get go, things went sour........

It's a gas smoker, and for whatever reason I couldnt keep the burner lit???
It was a brand new tank of propane, it ran GREAT for about 10 minutes then it would peeter out..:mad:

Should'a used the "ProGauge" :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
RIP Smoker........:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Pic #2 Smoker reached 1,000 degrees.. oops! :rolleyes:

Mikey
12-25-2007, 05:40 PM
:eek3: Ah, a wire brush and some rattle can paint and she will be smoking again. :D

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 05:42 PM
:eek3: Ah, a wire brush and some rattle can paint and she will be smoking again. :D

Shh......it's already in the trash can. Convincing the CFO (wifey) I need a more serious smoker now. ;)

Mikey
12-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Shh......it's already in the trash can. Convincing the CFO (wifey) I need a more serious smoker now. ;)

Do I need to edit my post?:)

I see whats going on here. You sabotaged the smoker purposely so you could get a new one.:cool: :D

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I see whats going on here. You sabotaged the smoker purposely so you could get a new one.:cool: :D

Embarrased to say, I didn't.....

That smoker has made some exceptional meals and sad to see her go. Anyone know what heat tolerance powder coated paint can take? I assume it was powder coated on.

atlfootr
12-25-2007, 07:49 PM
What'd the bird look like?

6ballsisall
12-25-2007, 07:54 PM
What'd the bird look like?

Didn't take pics of the COW. ;) I should have though! It had about a 1/2"-3/4" thick HARD charcoal edge. :(

atlfootr
12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Didn't take pics of the COW. ;) I should have though! It had about a 1/2"-3/4" thick HARD charcoal edge. :(

That's sounding really ummmy ... so the pic below didn't even come close to the "finished" product?
That is, the way it did look as to what you started out w/ correct ?

TMCNo1
12-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Sound like you could have used it for fuel next go 'round!:D

atlfootr
12-25-2007, 08:11 PM
You should of read this guy's story first :rolleyes:

http://www.houseofq.com/b_project.htm