PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Macbook

h2oskiluvr
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
My wife just bought me a new Apple Macbook for Christmas. I have a few questions I was hoping someone familiar with Apple could help me with.

First, is the three year warrenty, the "AppleCar Protection Plan" worth it? The cost is $250, so it isn't cheap. Generally, the additional warranty the electronic stores sell you is overpriced garbage but I am inclined to keep this.

Second, the version my wife bought me has the superdrive which is amongst other things a DVD burner. My question is can a DVD be created that can be played on a standard DVD player? The information on the Website is really fuzzy on this. The professional type programs, costing over $1,400, indicate the ability to auther a DVD but the basic home editions don't really mention it.

Perhaps it is silly to post these kinds of questions to a MasterCraft message board but the board hasn't let me down before. Thanks everyone in advance!!!

sand2snow22
12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Is it a powerbook? We've had ours for about a year. You're going to love it. 1) I can't remember if we purchased this or not, haven't had to get anything fixed, knock on wood. 2) Yes, you can burn DVD's. When you burn DVD's get the ........DVD-R's instead of the DVD+R's, the DVD-R's tend to play in more DVD players.......

MC2000190
12-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a mac and bought the applecare protection plan but havent had to use it.....because its an apple. I would get it just to be safe.... if something would happen to your mac it would cost more than $250 more than likely.

As far as the DVD it depends on what kind of DVD you buy. I would check the brand of your DVD player and make sure the DVD's are compatiable to your DVD player. My brother burns a lot of DVD's and he can only use certin DVD's to burn for his DVD player.

I hope this helps and isnt confusing. ENJOY!

No Skeez
12-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Congrats on your Mac! I work at a Mac based business, and I too finally pulled the trigger on a new MacBook Pro. Love it so far. A good friend works at a local Apple Store and highly recommended the Apple Care, so I went with it. He put it in perspective that a new Logic Board can run $1400 or so for just the parts, plus the labor to r and r it. Call it peace of mind, but I went for it. As for the burning of DVDs, your DVD player is going to be the piece of the puzzle that will determine this. I second the recommendation to buy the DVD-Rs instead of DVD+Rs. You will have better chances that the -R will play in your home DVD player. I just finished my first movie in iMovie, and it turned out far better than I expected. I ended up with an hour long video from all of our skiing and barefooting from this past summer that I made for my two skiing buddies. Burned it out of iDVD and it plays perfectly on my home DVD player!

Best of luck to you!

h2oskiluvr
12-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. It is the smaller MacBook but it is the 2.2Ghz with 2 Gig of RAM and the Superdrive. Sounds like the AppleCare is worth it. My plan is to put together the waterski videos from last summer just as No Skeez has done. Perfect and thanks again everyone!

j2nh
12-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Congrats on the MacBook! Nice present. We have 6 Macs in our house, 2 new MacBooks, 2 17" MacBook Pros, an Imac and a G5. Go with the Apple Care. We've only had to use it a couple of times but with the cost of any repair it is money well spent. If your unit needs repair they will send you a box for packaging and return it to your door in a timely manner. Service in the computer business is notoriously bad but Apple actually does a pretty good job.

bigmac
12-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Current version Mac laptops use Intel processors and Intel's Santa Rosa chipset. There are MacBooks (12 inch screen) and MacBook Pros 15.4 inch screen and aluminum case. Powerbooks were last generation - G4 processors.

Laptops by their very nature are subject to more problems, and I consider Applecare at $250 to be an OK deal, not a great one. At $349 for my MacBook Pro, I'm inclined to pass, although I have a year to make that decision.

You should consider looking on ebay for Applecare (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=applecare&category0=) for your machine. You can usually get it a lot cheaper there.

Superdrive - I agree DVD-RW or DVD-R will play in any DVD player that supports it, which is almost all of them these days. iDVD, which comes with your machine preinstalled, does a very nice job at authoring DVDs. Likewise, iMovie is a very useful program for editing video. The two work well together, edit your movie in iMovie and when your done, click "Burn".

sand2snow22
12-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. It is the smaller MacBook but it is the 2.2Ghz with 2 Gig of RAM and the Superdrive. Sounds like the AppleCare is worth it. My plan is to put together the waterski videos from last summer just as No Skeez has done. Perfect and thanks again everyone!

This is basically the same computer I have, I remember I went with the Applecare because I had two problems with my last PC laptop. Today I just finished burning a slideshow of my son I made in iMovie, burned it in iDVD using a DVD-R, popped it in the DVD player and it works perfect. My brother did our summer lake movie using Final Cut Pro on his G5, it's about 50 minutes long and turned out great.

sand2snow22
12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
At $349 for my MacBook Pro, I'm inclined to pass, although I have a year to make that decision.

Where did you swing that deal? I got mine right when they came out and paid a little bit more!! ;)

bigmac
12-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Applecare is a two year of extension of the normal 1 year warranty on a Mac, and it extends telephone support from the normal 90 days to 3 years.

$349 is the normal retail price for AppleCare on a Macbook Pro. It can be purchased anytime in the first year before the warranty expires.

It definitely pays to shop around for Applecare rather than plonking down the retail price at the time of purchase. I see an Applecare plan for my machine on ebay that's going for $200 so far. One hour left to bid...hmmm

h2oskiluvr
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
I decided to keep it. My wife is totally awesome. Not only does she tolerate my very expensive waterskiing addiction she buys me cool gifts like this. I am working on it right now. It will take a while to learn the navigation. Bill Gates has had me under his spell for too long.

milkmania
12-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Applecare is a two year of extension of the normal 1 year warranty on a Mac, and it extends telephone support from the normal 90 days to 3 years.

$349 is the normal retail price for AppleCare on a Macbook Pro. It can be purchased anytime in the first year before the warranty expires.

It definitely pays to shop around for Applecare rather than plonking down the retail price at the time of purchase. I see an Applecare plan for my machine on ebay that's going for $200 so far. One hour left to bid...hmmm

with your wording in post #7, I am inclined to think that sand2snow22 may have thought you were saying your macbook pro may have been $349
I read it a couple of times to realize it was the applecare program you were talking about.
or, I could just be full of it

either is possible;)

sand2snow22
12-23-2007, 02:15 AM
I miss understood. I thought you paid $349 for the computer!!

bigmac
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I miss understood. I thought you paid $349 for the computer!!Ah..I see the confusion. And I missed the winkie.

No, $349 retail for the Applecare program for that MacBook Pro, but I did win the auction on ebay last night for $212 for that service, so I saved a bit of money there. I'm still not totally convinced of the value - I've never had a hardware issue with a Mac computer, and I've never had the occasion to even call their support line, and I rarely keep a computer longer than 2 years. But...my laptops do tend to take a beating. If I do have a claim, I'm sure I'll pat myself on the back for being so smart. If I don't, I'll feel dumb.

The MacBook Pro I bought is the 2.4 ghz model and was $2498 from B&H Photo, no sales tax, free shipping, so a better deal than I would have got from the Apple Store. MacMall had a lot of rebates and stuff on the same machine - included a printer, case, and Parallels, but MacMall is certainly not known for its user-friendliness or reliability when it comes to rebate fulfillment, so I passed in favor of good ol' B&H Photo. I also bought memory from Crucial to get it up to it's max 4 gig RAM plus Parallels and a new license for Windows XP so I can run XP virtually on the machine.

Sodar
12-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I am on my 3rd Apple Laptop and I have purchased and used AppleCare on each of them. My 1st iBook went in twice for repairs for problems with the speakers and headphone jack. My second I had an issue where the screen would suddenly turn off and the only way to get it back on would be to do a hard shutdown and restart. My most recent issue with my newer PowerBook was definitely self inflicted, but AppleCare still took care of me! I fell asleep one afternoon with my laptop laying across my chest.... after rolling over, it found the floor! From then on, if I even moved the computer a 1/4", the hard drive would freeze and had to be restarted. Apple was also very receptive, when they opened the case on my computer and left the screwdriver pry marks on the case. They ended up giving me an entirely new case.

All in all, I believe think my AppleCare purchases have paid for themselves. I love the fact that when there is a claim, Apple has Airborne Express deliver a box to my doorstep, within 24 hours and the repair has been taken care of and returned in no more that 5 working days.

bigmac
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
For comparison, Dell service plans are interesting...

3-year warranty with mail-in service on Dell Latitude laptops is standard. BUT...for an additional $165, you can purchase next-day on-site service. Both my business partner and my son have used this service on a few occasions. The process is a call to Dell Support, they diagnose the problem. All of these incidents (4 altogether over the last 2 years) have involved replacing the motherboard. Dell overnighted a new motherboards to a local guy, who comes out to the home or office and fixes it.

Additionally, my son (fortunately) had accidentally purchased their Complete Care program for $69 when he bought the machine. That program covers accidental drops and other damage for the three years. In his case, he spilled a can of Pepsi into the keyboard. Dell replaced the entire machine within about 10 days (they wanted the machine shipped to them so they could determine if it was fixable). Unfortunately, that machine was basically DOA, hence the call back and the next-day visit from a tech, who replaced the motherboard on our kitchen table. My partner has his machine go belly up on a business trip where he had to give a presentation in San Francisco. The service guy met him at his hotel and fixed it there.

Impressive service from Dell, although not necessarily impressive reliability, in my experience with Dell. And for $240 all-risk-next-day on-site service, compared to Apple's $349 bring-it-in-to-an-Apple-Store service or we'll-FedEx-you-a-box Applecare service.

Not bashing Applecare - I'd rather have a computer that's less likely to die a premature death, but Dell service is pretty good. I present this information as an FYI interesting (to me) comparison.

Sodar
12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
For comparison, Dell service plans are interesting...

3-year warranty with mail-in service on Dell Latitude laptops is standard. BUT...for an additional $165, you can purchase next-day on-site service. Both my business partner and my son have used this service on a few occasions. The process is a call to Dell Support, they diagnose the problem. All of these incidents (4 altogether over the last 2 years) have involved replacing the motherboard. Dell overnighted a new motherboards to a local guy, who comes out to the home or office and fixes it.

Additionally, my son (fortunately) had accidentally purchased their Complete Care program for $69 when he bought the machine. That program covers accidental drops and other damage for the three years. In his case, he spilled a can of Pepsi into the keyboard. Dell replaced the entire machine within about 10 days (they wanted the machine shipped to them so they could determine if it was fixable). Unfortunately, that machine was basically DOA, hence the call back and the next-day visit from a tech, who replaced the motherboard on our kitchen table. My partner has his machine go belly up on a business trip where he had to give a presentation in San Francisco. The service guy met him at his hotel and fixed it there.

Impressive service from Dell, although not necessarily impressive reliability, in my experience with Dell. And for $240 all-risk-next-day on-site service, compared to Apple's $349 bring-it-in-to-an-Apple-Store service or we'll-FedEx-you-a-box Applecare service.

Not bashing Applecare - I'd rather have a computer that's less likely to die a premature death, but Dell service is pretty good. I present this information as an FYI interesting (to me) comparison.

That is interesting, because I have heard very different reviews of Dell's service. I am a firm believer that it all depends on who answers the phone. Sometimes you get folks that are very helpful and willing to work with you and other times, you get folks that have definitely woken up on the wrong side of the bed! The customer service reps can make or break it.

bigmac
12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
That is interesting, because I have heard very different reviews of Dell's service. I am a firm believer that it all depends on who answers the phone. Sometimes you get folks that are very helpful and willing to work with you and other times, you get folks that have definitely woken up on the wrong side of the bed! The customer service reps can make or break it.

I should say that these computers are Latitudes, bought through Dell's business division. As a result, service calls and phone support etc are all handled locally (meaning USA) instead of being outsourced off-shore. That does indeed make a difference and is probably the reason for the different reviews of Dell's service. The calls I made on my son's computer were all handled by a person whose native language was English (or at least, Texan).

sand2snow22
12-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I just came back from a holiday party and a friend just got a job with apple. He made a good point. He said once you buy the computer you get 90 days of telephone tech. support for free, after that each phone call is $50!

He was also talking about the new Macbook pros coming out next year. Supposed to be half as thin with nanotechnology and all flash memory? Droppable, but not breakable!

bigmac
12-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I just came back from a holiday party and a friend just got a job with apple. He made a good point. He said once you buy the computer you get 90 days of telephone tech. support for free, after that each phone call is $50!

He was also talking about the new Macbook pros coming out next year. Supposed to be half as thin with nanotechnology and all flash memory? Droppable, but not breakable!
I've never had the occasion to call Apple tech support. 45 minutes on hold doesn't appeal, and there is certainly no shortage of Mac experts online. More productive to take the thing into the Genius Bar at an Apple Store.

The computer your buddy is talking about is the long-rumored Mac Ultra Portable. It's likely to be announced at MacWorld San Francisco in January. TFT orders for Apple indicate it will have a 13 inch screen. It will use NAND flash, so no hard drive, and it won't have an optical drive at all - nobody can make a SuperDrive that thin yet. It's not a MacBook Pro and won't replace it, it's a new line, basically a machine for road warriors - it has too many compromises to be an all-out, full-power laptop. You can be sure it will break if you drop it, but it's true that the biggest source of damage from dropping a computer is the hard drive arm hitting the platter. Current Mac portables have "drop sensors" in them and if they sense being dropped, they disengage the hard drive arm to keep from damaging the platter when the machine hits the floor. Not bad, but I agree that a solid-state drive without a platter would be more rugged. It will also use LED backlighting for the screen (like the current MB and MBP). I've seen predicitions for as much as 12 hour battery life. I consider that to be pretty optimistic.

It's likely to be a nice machine though (it's an aluminum case, gunmetal grey in color), selling for around $1700, but 64 gig is the max size for current flash drives and that's just not big enough for me. Likewise, the fact that it will lack an internal optical drive would also be a deal-breaker. Sometime in 2008, Apple will be upgrading their MacBooks and MacBook Pro's to the new Intel Penryn processors, as well as Intel's new chip set (forgot the name). That should provide a modest speed bump to the MacBook Pro and keep it at the cutting edge until the next major redesign.

h2oskiluvr
01-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the great advice from everyone. It was very helpful.

I am teaching myself how to use iMovie and put together a video TT folks might find interesting. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlROzUewh1E

sand2snow22
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Looking good!! Nice wrecks. Do you guys ever not wreck? :D

skeeler
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I too joined the Apple family on the 1st. Die hard PC user for the past 10+ years. Almost like starting over, but I like it so far!

bigmac
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
For switchers...pretty good book.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/switchmacmm2/

h2oskiluvr
01-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Looking good!! Nice wrecks. Do you guys ever not wreck? :D

I had a TON of raw footage to choose from. The video is such a great training tool. I was able to see things in my technique and correct it over the summer.

TheOneandOnly
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Just purchased the Imac computer 2.0 ghz, 250ghd, wow interesting especially after coming from a pure 100 percent windows pc enviroment, i'm starting over. Where can one go to learn all the features, shortcuts, tips etc?

Are these computers bulletproof from virus's like they say in the stores?

BuoyChaser
01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
wow, my last mac was a G3 which still runs to this day, bought it back in '97...now back with the iPod video of course then iPhone and hmmmm, certainly tempting!!!

bigmac
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Just purchased the Imac computer 2.0 ghz, 250ghd, wow interesting especially after coming from a pure 100 percent windows pc enviroment, i'm starting over. Where can one go to learn all the features, shortcuts, tips etc?

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=442035&postcount=24

Are these computers bulletproof from virus's like they say in the stores?
I've never had a virus or spyware on a Mac, but to be safe, let's just say that they are very, very, very virus resistant.

/

123src
03-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Ok guys, I finally made the leap to Apple. Macbook Pro. This is my first task on the new notebook! I have never touched a mac before, much less used one. I am impressed by all the things I hear about Apple, and if half of the claims are true, I will be happy. I have had problems with all previous PC uses... Gateway, Dell, and finally tried HP. The Blue screen of death got me for the last time (hopefully) last weekend. I did purchase the extended care from Apple, as I have had soooo many computer problems in the past. I figure the money is worth the lack of stress...

As I sit here tonight trying to figure out this whole thing out, did anyone else transfer their outlook contacts and old emails over to mac mail? And also transfer over internet favorites? The Apple store will do it for free, but they want my computer for 24-48 hours! It can't be that hard! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. I must go now and figure out how to work the Trackpad!

BuoyChaser
03-20-2008, 12:49 AM
As I sit here tonight trying to figure out this whole thing out, did anyone else transfer their outlook contacts and old emails over to mac mail? And also transfer over internet favorites? The Apple store will do it for free, but they want my computer for 24-48 hours! It can't be that hard! Any ideas?
Don't even use Mac Mail, setup IMAP in Gmail and migrate all your old email directly. Here's a link on how to do it, SO EASY!!!
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

welcome to the world of easy computing...another suggestion, download Firefox, so much easier to use than Safari http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

as for figuring out the trackpad, get the bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so nice to use http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

as they say "...once you go mac, you never go back..."

bigmac
03-20-2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks in advance. I must go now and figure out how to work the Trackpad!
I haven't seen the new multi-touch trackpad. Supposedly very cool. I don't care for Apple's Mighty Mouse at all - tried it for awhile and dug out my old Logitech. I got tired of trying to keep the little scroll ball working.

I didn't transfer from Outlook...I was using Outlook Express on my home PC. Contacts and emails from Outlook at work are stored on the Exchange server, so nothing to download. If you have Outlook (not Outlook Express), that might be more difficult, but for me, contacts as well as email and Explorer transferred over just fine, as did Favorites, although it was kind of an arcane exercise that took a little internet digging.

Between my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro, I spent about $240 in Windows XP licensing to run under Parallels and Boot Camp. It turns out that the ONLY things I ever boot into Windows for is Garmin mapping and playing Call of Duty 4. These machines more than meet my computer needs without having to suffer Windows any more.

BuoyChaser
03-20-2008, 01:40 AM
where did you find your XP copies at $120 each???i've got a copy of VMWare to try out, already been down the Parallels road on 10.4 before Leopard and didn't like the inability to adjust partition size...

haven't tried the touchpad yet, my Macbook Pro doesn't have it, but not sure how i would like that...on the iphone, different story...

123src
03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
OK... Touchpad is set to my liking. No right click is driving me crazy, but I can get the same function by having 2 fingers on the touchpad while clicking.. Just have to get used to it... 2 fingers to scroll will be hard to get used too, but I like the other things, like increasing/ decreasing size by "pinching"... This "mac" thing might just work out! The ongoing spell check is nice, no matter what program I am in!

bigmac
03-20-2008, 08:31 AM
OK... Touchpad is set to my liking. No right click is driving me crazy, but I can get the same function by having 2 fingers on the touchpad while clicking.. Just have to get used to it... 2 fingers to scroll will be hard to get used too, but I like the other things, like increasing/ decreasing size by "pinching"... This "mac" thing might just work out! The ongoing spell check is nice, no matter what program I am in!

I agree that the trackpad ought to be a two-button device - Apple has been unusually stubborn on that for their portables over the years, even after they went to multi-button on their mouse. For extended use on my laptop, I just use some old multi-button Logitech RF wireless mouse I had sitting around. Otherwise, if I'm just using the trackpad I find it easier on my non-multi-touch MBP to use control-click. Holding down the control button and clicking the single trackpad button gives the same result as right-clicking.

bigmac
03-20-2008, 08:39 AM
where did you find your XP copies at $120 each???i've got a copy of VMWare to try out, already been down the Parallels road on 10.4 before Leopard and didn't like the inability to adjust partition size...

I bought the OEM version of XP Professional at NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems). I see the price has since gone up to $135, $86 for XP Home version.

LKNMC
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I have been Mac for 1 1/2 years now and it has been great

Once you go Mac you'll never go back!