PDA

View Full Version : Time to start looking for a new truck?

jkski
12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
OK guys, the good old Dodge is starting to cost too much to maintain and with 180k on it, it wont' be long now, so I wanted to get some input on newer trucks:
The criteria is that it needs to be a 3/4ton for hauling boats/trailers and plowing snow, yet it also needs to get good gas mileage as I want to reduce my fleet of vehicles and make this a daily driver.
So, I've been looking at the F250 and I want some feedbacl on the 5.4l V8 vs. the V10. Also, I looked at 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0l....thoughts? Dodge could still be in the mix as well.

Thanks in advance.

Footin
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I would go with an 07 Chevy, the newer ones are much nicer than the 06's.

Or you could buy a nice 05 Z71 Avalanche from me!

jkski
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Footin...the Avalanche is nice and thanks for the offer, it is the holidays, so if you wanted to GIVE it to me...maybe we can call t an early National Championship gift!!!
Hope to see you at the Cleveland Boat Show in a few weeks (1/11-1/20).

Footin
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Are you guys doing the Columbus boat show this year?

jkski
12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
James and Chris will be there and at this point, I think they are taking 3 MC's down(not sure which ones). I'll be down there on the day it closes down to help dismantle and haul back.

The Cleveland show will be something to see...all new display and really cool...plus I think they are taking 8 MC's.
Either way, hope to see you there.

jkski
12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
James and Chris will be there and at this point, I think they are taking 3 MC's down(not sure which ones). I'll be down there on the day it closes down to help dismantle and haul back.

The Cleveland show will be something to see...all new display and really cool...plus I think they are taking 8 MC's.
Either way, hope to see you there.

MIMC
12-18-2007, 01:54 PM
jkski -

I will tell you anything you need to know or want to know about the Chevy or GMC. Think about the free 5yr/100k mile warranty, best horsepower in the industry, etc. Also, the 6.0 with DOD (displacement on demand) will definitely increase your MPG's - most HP with best fuel economy. The fit/finish and ride quality on the new GMT900's is much better than the GMT800. Reply, PM me, or email me at MIMastercraft@aol.com for any info.

Thanks -
MIMC

Datdude
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I would suggest a Chevy. They have really done a great job with the new trucks, and have some great incentives right now. My dealer told me he had customers with the 6.0L in the new body style getting 17mpg.

Have you considered a diesel?;) :D

jkski
12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
The diesel is certainly an option if I can find one. I thought I saw somewhere that GMC was running a deal on the 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel, in terms of great finance rates...got any details? Can you hang a snowplow on the front of a 2500Hd Crew Cab Diesel, without voiding the warranty? Any idea what to realistically expect in terms of gas mileage HWY/City?

TMCNo1
12-18-2007, 04:10 PM
The diesel is certainly an option if I can find one. I thought I saw somewhere that GMC was running a deal on the 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel, in terms of great finance rates...got any details? Can you hang a snowplow on the front of a 2500Hd Crew Cab Diesel, without voiding the warranty? Any idea what to realistically expect in terms of gas mileage HWY/City?

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/ this site should give you all the info, based on the options you desire.

stuartmcnair
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I know this irks bigmac, but when making a purchase like this I always look to what the pros use...

If you look at construction sites, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, etc. most drive Ford F250 Diesels. There has to be a reason for that. I personally have a Chevy and a Ford and like them both but I would have to give the nod to the Ford 250 for a work truck.

Datdude
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM

yesterday I drove my new body style 2007 Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 diesel 285 miles and got 16.1 mpgs(80% at 74mph/20% at 64mph). This was very good considering the truck only has 1900 miles on it and it takes a while for diesels to break in and start to get good mileage. When I bought about a month ago, GM had 0% for 60 months or 1.9% for 72 months or about $4000 in rebates. The rebates and incentives may have gotten better since I bought. I thought I saw 0% for 72 months on a commercial? My 2006 Duramax was getting about 17-18mpgs with a mixture of county highways (55mph) and interstates (65mph). A friend with a 2004 6.0L gas 2500 crew cab reports about 11-12mpg in similar conditions. There are some relatively cheap modifications like a programmer that can increase mileage 1-3 mpg on a diesel truck. I would check out www.dieselplace.com for some more information on Duramax diesels, and www.gm-trucks.com for info on the trucks in general. Both are similar to Team Talk and full of nice people. Good luck!

Edit: Not sure about the plow, but I don't think it would be a problem:confused:

jkski
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, that's what I was looking for. Between the truck advice and the advice you gave me on sleds, if ever our paths cross, I owe you a beer(or beverage of your choice).
Thanks again.

wakolman
12-18-2007, 06:18 PM

I have the 2006 diesel crew cab. Highway 19/ city 16. Most of the time when I fill up the economy comes in around 17.5. I don't believe that a snow plow voids a warranty-the dealerships around here have a plow package already added to some of the new trucks on the lot.

It is for sale.:D

jkski
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Shoot me a PM with some details..miles, color, options, price, etc.

tones03
12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
as always if you go with a chevy or GMC i will be able to hook you up with a discount. Go GM for sure, 6.0 with the 6-speed and awsome quality and power. I have driven many and they are beasts. PM if you want any other information.

mcrider
12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
i'd go for a dodge ram 2500 with the cummins diesel. I get 20mpg with a 4x4 megacab doing 80mph. I love this tuck

duckguy
12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
My chevy is also for sale as of this week, and it already has the MC decal installed-PM me if your interested.

JohnE
12-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I know this irks bigmac, but when making a purchase like this I always look to what the pros use...

If you look at construction sites, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, etc. most drive Ford F250 Diesels. There has to be a reason for that. I personally have a Chevy and a Ford and like them both but I would have to give the nod to the Ford 250 for a work truck.

I don't know. One of my best friends has had 5, F250's or F350's since around 1990. He works them very hard. He said he is going to a Chevy nest time. He's had a lot of problems with the last 2 or 3. And a lot of the problems were when the warranty recently expired. I'm not saying one way or another, I've just heard a lot of positive comments about the Chevy's lately, and I'm in construction.

jkski
12-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I realize that the majority that responded to this thread are fans of the Chevy/GMC, but what can you tell me about the Ford F250 6.0l Diesel?
Pros/Cons...Fuel mileage???
I came across a great looking 2005 F250 Crew Cab4x4 w/61k on it but I don't know the first thing about the 6.0.

Thanks,

lanier92prostar
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
If you are looking at the 6.0, in my experience the gas mileage will kill you. I get almost the same mileage with my Duramax towing a large 5th wheel as I got with my 6.0l not towing. If you are looking at a 3/4 ton, I would step up and get the diesel. I don't know too much about the fords, all I know is that I have a friend that had a 2004 F350 that was in the shop 2 or 3 times with recalls on the turbo for the diesel. Just my 2 cents.

jkski
12-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I have definetly ruled out the Chevy/GMC 6.0l gas engine and if I go with this brand it will be a Duramax. However, I am stll "considering" the Ford F250 diesel, which comes in a 6.0 or 7.3 but I don't know a thing about either one. Specifically, I'd like to know about the Ford 6.0 Turbo Diesel........Let me know what you know.

endl
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
My 06 Dodge 2500 Diesel has performed very well. I get about 17-18 with my foot in it all the time. No chip. I had a 99 Ford F-250 7.3 diesel before this truck and it was a good truck as well. Typically I would say parts are cheaper for the cummins engines than the Navistar or Chey/Izusu built motors.

If you tow alot its hard to beat the Diesel for torque and performance.

jkski
12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I tow quite a bit, not always a lot of weight. I also plow some snow, again, not a lot. The truck will be used as an everyday driver as well as a tow/plow vehicle. I am not in any type of construction or landscape type business, I just lke big trucks (like most guys) and I never like to say "I can't tow that, it might hurt my truck"....just ask the 2 transmisions I've put into my Dodge.

thijs
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
My brother in law has a 3500 Chevy with the diesel. Amazing on fuel compared to my (previous) F350 6.0L. The Chevs could not compare to the FX4 Super Duty off road, but unlikey that you are going to be in the slop that I was. This is nothing for mud, but an idea. The Super Duty was one tough bugger. For every Chev or Dodge you see in the oil patch up here you see four Fords.

lanier92prostar
12-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I have definetly ruled out the Chevy/GMC 6.0l gas engine and if I go with this brand it will be a Duramax. However, I am stll "considering" the Ford F250 diesel, which comes in a 6.0 or 7.3 but I don't know a thing about either one. Specifically, I'd like to know about the Ford 6.0 Turbo Diesel........Let me know what you know.
Does Ford still make the 7.3? I know they stopped making them for a while.

thijs
12-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Does Ford still make the 7.3? I know they stopped making them for a while.

Ford stopped making the 7.3 a few years ago. It was a terribly tough, but inefficient engine. The went to the much smaller 6.0 which delivered more power. The 6.0 ended up being a bit of a mechanical lemon and gained a poor reputation for breaking down and excessive turbo lag. I found them actually to be quite loud too. Last year For issued another engine to replace the short lived 6.0, the new 6.4L. This engine again has mroe power, and to solve the turbo lag problem Ford has introduced the new engine with two turbos, one that spools faster and then a second for the higher pressure. The new engine is gonig to have some drw backs i believe. This new engine is very tightly packed into the compartment and I think that heat is going to cause problems. (They have that HUGE grill for super large radiators) I believe that there are even up to seven rads on this sucker (inter cooler, engine cooler, tranny cooler etc.)

I have an intersting article on the Power Stroke from a vehicle magazine. Any other questions?

TX.X-30 fan
12-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Very true ford has no reliable diesel power since the powerstroke. The chevy/gmc duramax allison is a proven platform now. The new ones are even quieter.

thijs
12-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Very true ford has no reliable diesel power since the powerstroke. The chevy/gmc duramax allison is a proven platform now. The new ones are even quieter.

The Power Stroke has been around for a long time. The 7.3 turbo was a great engine that I would have called a proven platform. I have been on many ambulances with this motor with 700,000 km (~440,000mi). None of the 6.0 have been aound long enough to rack up those miles.

I am interested to see if the 6.4L is eventually put into the vans. There hasn't been a body change on those vans for over 15 years, and the new 6.4 requires a larger grill for cooling. The 6.4 seems like a large risk. A lot of the vehicles that use the diesel are serious work trucks and needing all that cooling is going to be a problem when they start running them in mud.

spanielman50
12-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Can You Say Hemi ?

6ballsisall
12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
It's already been said somewhat, but the 6.0 Stroke is a Lemon motor, don't get it......
The DMax is a good engine, good truck combo. You can't go wrong with the Cummins/Dodge truck either.

BrianM
12-22-2007, 06:11 PM
You can't go wrong with the Cummins/Dodge truck either. Only thing with the Dodge is that the bodys fall apart around the nearly bullet proof Cummins engine. Go take a look at 3+ year old vehicles that have really been used and see the difference in body quality fit and finish. The GM and Ford trucks are light years ahead of the Dodge in this respect. In my experience the Dodges get loose fast.

Datdude
12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
My first diesel was a 2000 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I really liked the truck itself as the interior was huge. The 7.3L did a good job for me and averaged over 20mpg on the highway(75hp chip and K&N air filter). The only problem I had was the cam position sensor going out and shutting the truck off at 60mph:eek: . She finally got to 118K miles and it was time for something new. I sold it and bought a new 2005 Dodge Ram 3500(non-dually) quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9L Cummins. The Cummins motor had great power and I was getting about 19mpg on the highway. My biggest issue with this truck was the small back seat. The quad cab was just a little too tight for long snowmobile trips. I kept this truck for 15 months and 38,000 miles before I traded it in on a new 2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with the Duramax LBZ. The Duramax was virtually silent compared to the Cummins and Powerstrokes I had owned before.....which is a good thing. I like the sound of a diesel engine as much as the next guy, but holding a conversation in either of those trucks was a little more difficult...especially for the person in the back seat. The Duramax pulled well, but I thought the 2006 truck was a little soft for my liking. When towing on rough roads the truck seemed to bounce a lot, which neither the Ford, nor Dodge did at all. The mileage on my first Duramax was around 17-18mpg, but this was right around the time most places switched to Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel which has been rumored to lower mileage 1-3mpgs. If I could combine the best attributes of all of the diesel trucks I have owned over the past few years, I would say that my 2007 Silverado has almost everything I could ask for. The ride is a little stiffer than the 2006, it is virtually silent (a little turbo whine:cool: ), the back seat has almost all of the room we need (4" more would be great), and it has tons of power. My dealer sells Dodge and Chevy and the night I bought my new truck we were doing a dealer locate for a new 5.9L Cummins equipped MEGA cab. The interior room in those trucks is amazing, as is the 5.9L Cummins. My hang up with the Dodge was how cheap the interior felt compared to the new Silverados. I have to say it was close, but the new Silverado is the total package.

I would stay as far away from the 6.UH OH as possible. If you really have to have one.....go to www.ford-trucks.com and there is a place where you can post the VIN number of the truck and someone will look up all of the warranty work that has been done on that truck. It helped steer me away from a 2007 F-250 King Ranch (bad azz truck) that had 15K miles and multiple injector issues as recently as 2K miles ago. I know it has a warranty, but who wants to have your new truck in the shop? The Ford-trucks.com website also has some great info on other stuff as well.

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Well said DatDude, I agree with you about the dodge. I have had 5 or 6 chevy/gmc and as far as the ride goes I always change the stock shocks immediately. With high dollar after market shocks you can dial in the ride that suits your tastes. My 02 3/4 ton duramax has 130,000 miles and runs better than the day I bought it. I had the bad injectors and GM replaced all at 98,000. I just can't see what the other 2 have to offer over the GM package. Ford is one recall after another and near bankruptcy? The duramax is cutting edge diesel technology, and the Cummings is great for a back-hoe !!!! Ford currently has no diesel power plant.

6ballsisall
12-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Only thing with the Dodge is that the bodys fall apart around the nearly bullet proof Cummins engine. Go take a look at 3+ year old vehicles that have really been used and see the difference in body quality fit and finish. The GM and Ford trucks are light years ahead of the Dodge in this respect. In my experience the Dodges get loose fast.

My Dad has an 05' w/ 55k miles and it's tight as a......;)
My Grandpa has an 05' as well and pulls a 13k 5th wheel 8 months a year (80k miles) and it's tight as a.........;)

I'll agree that I think some of the plastics Dodge uses is cheesy but I have to disagree on the fit and finish of the Rams. Now the Durango I had........TOTALLY different story..........:rolleyes:

jkski
12-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I've always been partial to Dodge as I currently own 3 of them, so the Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 is certainly not out of the running. With that said, what do you guys know about the 5.7 Hemi in these trucks (gas mileage, power, etc.). From all the research I have done and in looking at the way I use the truck, it's becoming evident that while I would "like" a diesel, I just can't justify it (that hurts to admit).
So, does the 5.7 Hemi in a 2500 do it justice?

Again, I've said it before, but thanks, you guys are great.

jkski
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
OK, guys I am continuing to research the crap out of what truck to get next and while I love the idea of getting the GMC D-max/Allison combo I talked to a friend who heads-up the service dept. of a local Ford shop and he suggested that I avoid the diesel for my use. Basically, he said that with the lower sulpher diesel that is now being put out, the trucks are not going to be getting the same great gas mileage that they have been getting and unless I need it for the raw pulling power, then why spend the extra on the vehicle and the fuel cost.
What is your take on this? I have 2 good friends that own the GMC w/D-max and they have not said anything about this, only said that they are getting anywhere between 17-21 mpg.?
So, if not the D-max, then what do you think of the 6.0l gas engine that GMC has?

jkski
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
OK, guys I am continuing to research the crap out of what truck to get next and while I love the idea of getting the GMC D-max/Allison combo I talked to a friend who heads-up the service dept. of a local Ford shop and he suggested that I avoid the diesel for my use. Basically, he said that with the lower sulpher diesel that is now being put out, the trucks are not going to be getting the same great gas mileage that they have been getting and unless I need it for the raw pulling power, then why spend the extra on the vehicle and the fuel cost.
What is your take on this? I have 2 good friends that own the GMC w/D-max and they have not said anything about this, only said that they are getting anywhere between 17-21 mpg.?
So, if not the D-max, then what do you think of the 6.0l gas engine that GMC has?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
You are buying new? Or used?

Ric
01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd like to see 17-21 from my HD gasser, but that aint gonna happen

Workin' 4 Toys
01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I think with a tuner chip or the like, the 6.0 could get a HUGE wakeup. It's got the power, but I think it's detuned for economy. I think with the right tuner you get get better at both.
No complaints here about the 6.0 as it is though, but if you are going to compare it next to the duramax, it's going to need at least a little bump in the numbers...

I think the GMC with the Duramax is the way to go IMO, of course it's not my money.;) But the 6.0 is real nice.

Have you driven both, the Duramax and 6.0? I still can't believe how quiet they have become.

jkski
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I am buying a used truck as I just can't justify the cost of a new one given the amount that I actually end up using it. I have driven all of the trucks as someone on here suggested and absolutley agree that the GMC rides the best and that the Duramax is extremely quiet.
Again ,I'd love to get the D-max, but I do not know what to make of the low sulpher diesel and how that will play into the fuel economy down the road...is it really that big of a deal or am I making it out to be more than what it is. The other consideration is the maintenance cost of the diesel vs. the gas...will I end up giving back my fuel economy savings when it comes time to service the D-max (oil changes, etc.)?

MIMC
01-07-2008, 11:24 AM
jkski -

I have to ask, how much will you really be towing and how often? Also, how much snow plowing are you going to do? You say you need a 3/4 ton, but do you really? Just curious because you can get a 1500 Chevy or GMC crew cab with the MAX Trailering package - it includes the L76 Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine with active fuel management, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, (AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle, (N56)17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug custom aluminum wheels, (T96) fog lamps, (JD9) front and rear disc brakes and (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment (NHT). Put it all together and it gives you 7000 GVWR, a max trailering capacity of 10,500 lbs and a GCWR of 16,000 lbs. I don't know of any M/C that the 1500 can't tow with confidence. Being in the idustry, we see it all the time, people buy more truck than they really need. Just laying down some facts for you so you can make the best buying decision possible.

Thanks MIMC :)

MIMC
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
jkski -

Just saw your post about buying used, the L76 Max trailering package is only available on 2007 and 2008 models. If you buy used, give me a VIN, and I'll see what I can find out for you!

Thanks - MIMC

jkski
01-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Good point and certainly appreciate the facts. I end up towing quote often..not always a lot of weight, in fact most times I average 5,000lbs or less. When it comes to towing the larger stuff, I'll end up pulling bobcats, tractors etc., for work on some property I own. In terms of plowing snow, being that our Ohio winters are getting more and more mild, that has diminished. I do not actively plow commercially, only when a friend who does gets swamped with work (few and far between), so most of my stuff is just driveways.
So, why the 3/4ton rather than the 1/2ton....... it seems like a bigger, stronger, more built truck (probably just perception). I've been in and used several of them, and they just don't seem to keep going no matter what you ask them to do. I have always had concerns about plowing with my 1/2ton and going to a crewcab truck, I was always told that you have to have a 3/4ton due to the length,frame strength, etc...
Again, I am all for saving money and not buying more than I need, so the education is much appreciated.

MIMC
01-07-2008, 05:10 PM
jkski -

My co-worker collects Moline tractors, he tows all across the country to get these beasts. He has towed over 10,000 lbs several times with his 2007 GMC 1/2 ton crew cab w/ the VMAX package and his 5th wheel flat bed trailer, twice he has towed over 13,000 lbs with the truck. With what you plan on towing, a properly equipped 1/2 ton will be plenty. If you still plan on plowing then I would lean towards the 3/4 ton. When you go to the 3/4 ton there are many chassis upgrades, but you sacrifice mpg, option availability, and ride quality. Some of the "unseen" objects when plowing can really deliver some hard hits and the 3/4 ton can withstand that abuse much better. However, I still see no need for a diesel other than personal preference. The DMAX is awesome, but is overkill for what you described. Also, the DMAX has gone through three series of changes. The first was the LB7, then the LLY, then the LMM, most of the changes were fuel delivery related. If buying used I would look for the LLY of LMM if you can find one! If you need anything else let me know!

Thanks - MIMC

jkski
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
MIMC,
Thanks for the great insight I truly appreciate the info.

6ballsisall
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd like to see 17-21 from my HD gasser, but that aint gonna happen

You evil person Ric! You are destroying our ozone with that gas hog!! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme