PDA

View Full Version : Yet another teak thread... got a question

Snyd28
03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I became the proud owner of a 96 Mastercraft ProStar 190 last summer and I love it! The teak was in only fair shape when I bought it and through the season it became worse. I stored it indoors over the winter and I am getting the itch and now working on the deck.

Here's the question - I am taking the deck apart and sanding, cleaning, brightening, and oiling each piece seperately. I started digging into it today and found the project is going to be worse than I thought. It appears that one of two things has happened. Either 1. a lot of oil has built up in the joints over the years and formed what can only be described as a strong glue or 2. one of the previous owners did this too and then reassembled with glue. I am leaning towards 2 because I found a lot of glue coming out of the screw holes in the brackets.

So... is it normal to glue a platform together (or did it come this way from the factory) or is this just due to years of oil build up? Any thoughts would be great... I am going to take a picture of the deck tonight and try to post it... only got the brackets and one piece off so far.

Thanks in advance!

Mag_Red
03-20-2005, 07:04 PM
:eek: I can't imagine why anyone would glue it together! Pics would be helpful.....and welcome to the MC forum :headbang:

ski_king
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I noticed last spring some of the short filler strips on mine were loose. After looking at it real close, I realized the short pieces were glued in place between the longer ones that are screwed together. While it was in storage it dried out and shrank enough for some of the short pieces to come lose.
I asked on here and Gorella Glue was recomended to put it back togeher. So far, so good on the Gorella Glue holding.

Snyd28
03-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Lets hope I can get these loaded... and hopefully they show the problem!

Mag_Red
03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Still have no idea if the small pieces are glued together, but I would keep sanding and going at it. :wavey: A stationary belt sander would speed things up. Here's my Before (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1170) and after (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1173) pics.

BriEOD
03-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Mag, nobody likes a showoff!! ;)

ski_king
03-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Snyd28, Mine is something like yours, but only the short pieces are glued together. I would use wood screws from the bottom up to put that back together. Hopefully you can use the orginal holes unless the crossbar is stripped out.

Mag, Looks great!!!!!! Looks like you had a professional painter do the job!

Mag_Red
03-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Mag, nobody likes a showoff!! ;)LOL Believe it or not......the platform is sitting in my living room right now :D Ahhhhhhh the joys of being single. :dance:

ski_king
03-20-2005, 08:26 PM
LOL Believe it or not......the platform is sitting in my living room right now :D Ahhhhhhh the joys of being single. :dance:
Makes a great off season coffee table.

6ballsisall
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Just got done redoing a friends platform (for a Tige) It was REALLY rough when I got it!

Mag_Red
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Looks good Jeff! :toast: I remember how bad that one looked.

Snyd28
03-20-2005, 11:58 PM
tomorrow I am gonna focus on the deck and push some other projects to the side. Once I get all done I'll put another picture up so I can have the pretty before and afters

Leroy
03-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes, but what about that floor under the after picture? What do you do for a living? :D

THe teak looks good. I'm ready to do the same to my fish cleaner.

Still have no idea if the small pieces are glued together, but I would keep sanding and going at it. :wavey: A stationary belt sander would speed things up. Here's my Before (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1170) and after (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1173) pics.

Mag_Red
03-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Yes, but what about that floor under the after picture? What do you do for a living? :D

:o I was wondering when some one was going to notice the condition of my deck. :purplaugh

jimmer2880
03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
:o I was wondering when some one was going to notice the condition of my deck. :purplaugh

At least his priorities are in order... Boat first. The rest can wait! :toast:

Mag_Red
03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
At least his priorities are in order... Boat first. The rest can wait! :toast: You got that right! Beside......I have 8 painters that could do it........they're just too busy right now
:friday:

86PowerSlot190MC
03-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I know this is going to make every one scream…………But here goes. Due to the fact that all the screws on my teak platform are coved by neat little teak plugs, I didn’t want to remove them just to sand and clean the platform. So (here the part you won’t like) I used a dust blasting booth, and yes I dust blasted the platform. :eek3: Before you all scream bloody murder, I only used 30-40 PSI of air. And I can’t tell you how good it came out. Heres some pics.

86PowerSlot190MC
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
And here's the finished producted :D

milkmania
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
very nice, proud you got it to look that good:worthy:

Holtrodj
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Snyd28 - Let's see some pictures of the boat too!

Holtrodj
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
HEY LOOK!! I'M A 'REGULAR'! Oh, boy that's pathetic...

6balls
03-22-2005, 10:25 PM
All you Teak Freaks are a bunch of CUPCAKES! :uglyhamme

André
03-23-2005, 06:48 AM
86 PS
Is it the same as sand blast ?

6balls
More tea ?

86PowerSlot190MC
03-23-2005, 09:28 AM
86 PS
Is it the same as sand blast ?

Very similar, but generally dust blasting uses minute glass particles or aluminum oxide it all depends on the material your blasting. I was using 500 glass particles at very low air pressure.

OhioProstar
03-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Last year I used a horizontial planner to strip off the weathered sections. I also used a drum sander on my drill press to get all the edges cleaned. Looks like a piece of furniture now....which makes me think that an old teak deck would make a cool coffee table for the basement that I don't have.

Snyd28
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Still working on the platform.... taking this thing apart is more work than I thought! Only got one picture of the boat, and I refuse to take more until i get it cleaned up and detailed this spring!

Snyd28
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
and unfortunately the pic is really small and gets distorted when I blow it up..... :o

captkidd
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
86 PS,
It looks like the results justify the means. I used a belt sander on mine and it definitely needed it. Looks to me like dust blasting works pretty well.

Snyd28
04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
The deck is completely apart and sanded. I am now cleaning, brightening, and oiling. The wood is absorbing the oil like crazy... not sure now many coats it will need. I will say this though.... I am not gonna post an after pic because mine will not look as good as the other ones :(

Snyd28
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Well... the project is finally complete after a few weeks of not getting my butt in gear to get it done. Since it was my first refinish it was definitely a learning experience. It did not turn out like I had planned on... wanted it better... but at least next winter I know what I need to do. For now, it'll have to do because the ski season has started! Here's the before pic and then I will post the after.

Snyd28
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
After.

Like I said, not as pretty as I wanted but I just joined a private ski club and I need to get on the water!

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 04:08 PM
As long as it isn't white! :uglyhamme

rdwilt
04-24-2005, 07:42 PM
All these beautiful teak boards..... I just refinished mine and the wife asked if I was worried if someone would steal it?? We park our boat at the local ski club during the week but also take it camping etc.... and never thought about it till now.
1. Anyone ever hear of a teak board theif??? (It is awfully pretty all refinished!) Anyone put a lock replacing a pin??
2. Any place to purchase a teak board cover/protector?
rdw in Ohio