PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel and Rudder Position

RackAtak
08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
While cruising straight, my steering wheel is at about the 10 o'clock position. Can I straighten it out by loosening the center nut and moving the wheel to the correct position? If so, how much torque needs to be on the steering wheel nut when retightening? I attempted to loosen it last night, but it seemed awfully tight and I didn't want to screw anything up before I got some advice...Ron

bret
08-07-2004, 03:30 PM
It depends on it you have a spline or a key. If you have a spline, you can usually take the steering wheel off and make the adjustment by just putting the wheel back on in a different position. If you have a key type, then you might have to break the cable loose underneath from the steering gear box, straighten the wheel and rudder, then reattach the cable. But before you do, have someone close to the same weight in your boat opposite of you, where the boat is driving level, to get a good idea on your wheel location. Oh, the nut is just tight from install at the factory. Tighten when going back but you don't have to kill it.