View Full Version : Camcorder to buy?

ggroller
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Everybody.

I'm looking into buying a camcorder.

What should I get?

bigmac
12-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Sony or Canon in miniDV format for maximal quality and most flexible editing.

Sony or Canon with hard drive instead of tape for maximal portability.

H20skeefreek
12-17-2007, 08:31 AM
DO NOT get a mini-dvd. I did and I hate it, it won't work on the boat b/c of vibration, and to this day, I cannot figure out a way to do any editing.

vogelm1
12-17-2007, 08:45 AM
We have a Sony hard drive cam and love it...it's very compact and picture quality is real good. It comes with video editing software (basic but allows you to do some creative stuff) and a viewing program. Also has a one-touch/burn directly to DVD from camera if you wish. Got the 30 gig model and that seems to be plenty adequate for the amount of video we take...this probably equates to more than a 2-hour video tape but we always download to the computer and back up just in case. Was around $500 IIRC. If you go this route, I highly recommend getting a second battery with higher capacity so you don't have to worry about coming back in to charge. Good luck!

mcdoon
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Sony or Canon in miniDV format for maximal quality and most flexible editing.

Sony or Canon with hard drive instead of tape for maximal portability.

Bigmac's got it. We just bought our son and his wife a Sony miniDV yesterday. The sales guy was trying to push the hard drive version, but for a little more hassle on transferring video around, the miniDV was worth the price. Best Buy miniDV = $287, HDD model = $521.

bigmac
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
DO NOT get a mini-dvd. I did and I hate it, it won't work on the boat b/c of vibration, and to this day, I cannot figure out a way to do any editing.

Agree, the mini-DVD formats are problematic and I'd definitely stay away. MiniDV tape would still be my current choice, but the hard-drive models for casual shooting are conceptually nice for their pocketability. My only problem with a camcorder that writes to a hard drive is the reliability of the hard drive mechanism. I have little doubt that those drive mechanisms will be replaced by NAND flash as those capacities get bigger and their cost gets smaller, and the time frame of those advances is likely to be shorter than the amount of time most people go between camcorder replacement. We're just starting to see NAND flash replace hard drives in laptops, already replaced in portable MP3 players (iPods), and in some camcorders (although capacities are less in current models). It's hard to beat the proven compression ratios of miniDV and it will be a while before the HDD and flash models can compete.

Cary K.
12-17-2007, 09:14 AM
We recently got a JVC HDD model, and it works great for our purposes. Easy shooting and easy editing.

mitch
12-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Sony mini-DV. If you need to move mini DV to DVD, just plug the Sony into the front of a set top DVD recorder to record and you're all set. We were doing this last nite, piece of cake, good luck