PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for my first DSLR but I cant decide between the Rebel XTi or Sony A-100

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I think I want to get a Digital SLR for myself. Based on research it seems the Canon Digital Rebel XTi is a slightly better camera, with more lense options and such BUT there is a catch. Normally the Canon and the Sony A-100 go for the same price. I can get each camera through my work for $605...or I can order the sony straight from Sony for $422. I cant decide if its worth an extra almost $200 for the Canon, or get the Sony which has less lense options/processor but has a built in stabilization feature and save that money. What do you guys think? This will be my first SLR.

VirtualWi
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
being a Nikon kind of guy, I think you'd be better served with the Canon as there are more add-ons readily available (lenses, flashes, etc.) and you know they have been doing the SLR thing for a LONG time ;)

I agree that the stabilization thing is nice, but if you only plan on using either one in "Auto" mode, you could save yourself a bunch of money and go with a prosumer camera (Canon A640 is a great camera and I am having fun with it). Or the Canon S5IS has a great stabilization system that I have tried.

Good luck!!

phecksel
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I abandoned all my dads old minolta (sony) lenses for Nikon.

Glass for Glass, I believe the Sony will cost more then the Canon lenses. Funny thing about cameras, you'll start with a consumer lens or two, add a flash, then start spending the big bucks on prosumer lenses. I have a collection of three (or is it four?) consumer lenses, one prosumer, and one semi pro lens, plus three flashes! Camera body is literally the cheapest thing in the collection!

Friend of mine professionally shoots nikon and reps sony. Unfortunately, he takes amazing photos, no matter which camera he's using.

We might be able to help a little more if you can tell us how you plan to use the camera, and how much you want to spend putting together the kit.

bigmac
12-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Nikon user here too...

Canon cameras don't suit me, but if my choice were between Canon and Sony for an entry-level dSLR, I'd go with Canon every single time.

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Ill be using it for wakeboarding, some creative photography/still shots,stuff I can play with in HTML and photoshop, car pictures,....things like that. It being my first SLR I am scared to spend alot of money on a camera...but then again I am also scared to spend this money and then wishing I spent more. I used to use my point and shoot all the time but for the past year I havent used it much mostly because I think I have outgrown it. Is it worth the extra $200 for the Canon? Other then the lenses, does it really offer that much more? I really cant see me spending all that much on lenses right away....maybe.

On a side note.....A Canon Rebel XTi commercial just played as I was typing this.....

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-17-2007, 12:26 AM
What about the D40x? Thats priced the same as the Canon, so if I were to decide to shell out the extra bucks for the Canon...that would be another contender.

VirtualWi
12-17-2007, 12:29 AM
What about the D40x? Thats priced the same as the Canon, so if I were to decide to shell out the extra bucks for the Canon...that would be another contender.

of course...i'll second that ;) However, go to the following sites and see what they have to say:

www.dpreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com
www.kenrockwell.com specifically regarding this post:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-17-2007, 01:40 AM
So after spending a few hours on a couple different sites....its confirmed I wont be buying lenses any time soon.....WHOLLY PRICEY BATMAN! I almost decided to buy an advanced point and shoot but I feel like I could still take better pictures with an SLR...and then eventually have the option for lenses later on. Tomorrow I am going to go to a local Best Buy and see how the A-100 feels because so far I think I am leaning towards that one. The extra noise at higher ISOs isnt appealing..especially for action shots....but I cant justify it being worth $180 more. Also, while each lense for a sony is more then the same one for a Canon, they are still PLENTY available....and I might be able to get those through my work as well. I will keep you guys posted. Any other thoughts? Your information has helped alot so far.

djhuff
12-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Don't be so hard on the Sony, it's a Minolta (Sony bought the camera line from Minolta). The older Minolta lenses fit this camera, so there are plenty of lenses out there (not as many as the Canon/Nikon bunch, but a good amount). I looked pretty hard at this camera but ended up with a Nikon D50 last year. Mainly because many of my friends had Nikons and I wanted to be able to pick up their cameras and shoot, as well as have them shoot mine, depending who's camera was out.

stuartmcnair
12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
I would go with the Canon. Learn to shoot fully manual in RAW and make any adjustments to exposure and the like when you process. You could save some money by buying used. Check out KEH.com.

phecksel
12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
minolta lenses are available. Problem with Sony is going to be the f/2.8 sports lenses, and f/1.8 {or 1.4} lenses. Canon is much cheaper. If the $180 is critical, then you may not have a choice. Sony will take a good picture, but it doesn't have much headroom for growth.

Still would rather Canon given the choices. Nikon D40(x) are good choices, BUT they have lens limitations.

Stuart is giving you some excellent advice, shoot ONLY raw, shoot in either manual or semi manual as much as possible. Learn how to adjust curves and use unsharpmask with photoshop or elements {or the chosen mfg's software}.

The Sony will give you one advantage, the image stabilization feature. Especially for the boat, that's a great thing. Find someone that can test the camera for back focus, Minolta {and initially} Sony had a real issue with back focus.

milkmania
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Stuart is giving you some excellent advice, shoot ONLY raw, shoot in either manual or semi manual as much as possible. Learn how to adjust curves and use unsharpmask with photoshop or elements {or the chosen mfg's software}.

that's where I screwed up on my sunset photos
didn't use RAW mode:(:o:(

still kicking myself:mad:

bigmac
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Sunset photos can be problematic because of the very extended dynamic range. RAW is a good choice for those, but even being able to adjust exposure after-the-fact still requires you either expose for the maximum sunset effect, foreground detail, or some compromise in between.

One solution is layering, such as what you can get in Photoshop. I will typically take the shot using some variation of a broader field exposure. I'll then bring it into Photoshop and create a duplicate layer. I'll adjust the exposure of each of the two layers to get best effect, sunset in one layer, foreground in the other, combine the two, then erase the foreground from the sunset photo, leaving the layer behind with the better exposed foreground. It's a way of avoiding the compromises necessary in strongly backlit photos.

stuartmcnair
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Milk,

For the shots you are doing you should really look into HDR images. It takes several shots of the same subject and merges them into an amazing photo. Takes some practice but it really pays off. Go to popphoto.com and look into it.

Roonie's
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
I am Nikon man myself as I have the D50. However my second choice would be Canon for sure.

MIMC
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I have the Canon, love it! Wife has no problems with it either!

MIMC

phecksel
12-18-2007, 02:24 PM

I have one of those... this (http://www.hecksel.com/images/Phil/Aviation/2006%20thunder%20over%20michigan/2006ThunderOverMichigan/images/DSC_3068.jpg)photo would have been so easy to fix up with raw

bigmac
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I have one of those... this (http://www.hecksel.com/images/Phil/Aviation/2006%20thunder%20over%20michigan/2006ThunderOverMichigan/images/DSC_3068.jpg)photo would have been so easy to fix up with rawHow? The plane is well exposed. What raw settings would you change and what would be your goal?

phecksel
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
How? The plane is well exposed. What raw settings would you change and what would be your goal?
It's underexposed, didn't hold up well to a heavy crop, and had a slight motion blur. As I changed the exposure, cropped, and sharpened, best I could get was 8x10. I may take another pass at it over the holidays and maybe see if I can bump the size up with a little more experience at processing.

suedv
12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I just noticed this thread. I have a digital rebel and use it all the time. While I'd like to move up to a better camera, I'm happy with it and it takes good pictures. There are cameras that go faster than 3 frames a second, but I get pretty decent water sport pictures that speed.

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-19-2007, 03:19 AM
Guess what I bought today! It starts with a C and rhymes with Smanonrebelxti!

phecksel
12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Congrats! you've made a good choice!

pilot02
12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank god you didn't buy the point and shoot.
I too have a rebel xti and although I really liked the Nikon D80 as well after reading article after article comparing the 2, the rebel was a much better deal financially. Yes, it has a few less features and may not be as ergonomically correct, but article after article proved that both were essentially dead on as far as performance and that both were ultimately limited by the glass provided, not the body itself.

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I would post the price I got it for but I dont want to make you guys feel bad! I am going to get the accidental damage coverage for it and then 2 years from now I will drop it in the lake and upgrade to a 40d or something!

BuoyChaser
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I think I want to get a Digital SLR for myself. Based on research it seems the Canon Digital Rebel XTi is a slightly better camera, with more lense options and such BUT there is a catch. Normally the Canon and the Sony A-100 go for the same price. I can get each camera through my work for $605...or I can order the sony straight from Sony for $422. I cant decide if its worth an extra almost $200 for the Canon, or get the Sony which has less lense options/processor but has a built in stabilization feature and save that money. What do you guys think? This will be my first SLR.
hopefully not to late, but i got an XTi last year and it is great...drop me an email and i'll send you a link to a bunch of photos we've taken with it...we picked up ours for a great deal through beachcamera.com

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Go ahead and send them to krayne@mail.usf.edu, im excited to see what I can do!