PDA

View Full Version : Networking a Laptop and A PC

Farmer Ted
12-16-2007, 03:30 PM
what's the easiest way to network my PC and laptop?

I have all the Wifi stuff and the laptop is hooked up to the router blah blah blah, PC is plugged into the router

what do I need to do to be able to pull files from the PC via Wifi?

sdesmond
12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
The easiest way is to run the home networking wizard on windows. Then just right click on the drive you want to share. Select properties and then go to the sharing tab on the top. Click "Share this Folder" on the network. You should be able to go to "My Network Places" on your start menu and see your shared drive on there. You can take it to your desktop and add a short cut and such if you desire.

88 PS190
12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Right but remember you have to set both computers to have shared either drives or areas of drives in order for it to go both ways.

Many people will set up just one folder on each that is visible to the network.

When I was in the dorms we did it that way, one folder available for sharing I had mine password protected but that way we could send mp3's or video back and forth with out much problem.

andrewtimko
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I would recommend only sharing specific folders and not entire drives. Make sure the local logins (username/passwords) on both machines are the same, and do not have a blank password. XP's default policy does not allow blank passwords for network shares.

Farmer Ted
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Guys!

I was reluctant to run this for fear of messing up my Wifi stuff

JimN
12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Ted- if you don't go into the Network settings for the router and specifically change the access for the WiFi, you won't cause any problems. Go to My Computer, right click on it and scroll down to Properties. Look for Computer name and make sure the PC and laptop are in the same workgroup. Look for a button called Network ID and use the Wizard.

This applies to XP. If you have Vista, it may have a similar way to network the computers.