PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile insurance??

mitch
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Who do you guys use? What should I expect to pay for basic (other guy) coverage. Just got a really high quote:eek3: , and am looking for any input. Thx!

Datdude
12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I have all of my insurance with ALLIED (Nationwide is the parent company) and am very happy. I think I pay around $150 per year on my sled. I have a $500 deduct on the sled

jlf
12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
We use American Family Insurance. 2 sleds full coverage with a $500 deductible is 320 for the full year. Checked on liability only and it was $190 for both. If we run the full coverage, the insurance company only has contracts for the full year-not just the season.

Datdude
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
We use American Family Insurance. 2 sleds full coverage with a $500 deductible is 320 for the full year. Checked on liability only and it was $190 for both. If we run the full coverage, the insurance company only has contracts for the full year-not just the season.

I would be paranoid to ride a sled with liability only. A few years ago I killed a deer with my sled and did around $1800 in damage:rolleyes:

cbryan70
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
was the deer good?

Thrall
12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
If any of you checking into sled insurance or talking to your agents could ask a question of them, I'd appreciate it.
I have not been able to find a company that insures sleds in New Mexico. Why, I don't know. Never gotten a straight answer.
SO, if ya' find someone who insures sleds here, please let me know.
I'm not interested in liabilty (although I'd take it) as much as insurance on the machines themselves. Where I ride, the likelyhood of colliding w/ another snowmobile or an animal is very slim. Racking up the sled on a hidden boulder or launching it off of a cornice is a much higher probability!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 10:12 PM

Mine were also insured with American Family. And to my surprise, they gave me actual policies. Unlike the 2 companies I tried before them.
Prices sound the same too. Full coverage.

TX.X-30 fan
12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Winter???? YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Winter???? YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post.........YAWNNN....................8p

TX.X-30 fan
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Go back to the garage thread and argue mega pixels with Rachael !!! :rolleyes:

jkski
12-14-2007, 09:35 AM
I got liability coverage and med pay coverage for my 2 sleds through Progressive for $226/year(total for both).

vogelm1
12-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I just bought a new Yamaha Vector GT and American Family quoted me $294 a year w/$500 ded and $370 a year w/$1000 ded. This seems pretty outrageous. The premium on my MC is less and it's worth 6 times more! I brought this point up with the agency and all they said was "well that is a pretty fast snowmobile". They're all fast - give me a break.

I was beginning to wonder if the "GT" automatically adds $$ to the premium...like buying a Mustang vs. a Mustang GT. If anyone has suggestions for more reasonable rates, post away. Between homeowners, vehicles, and the boat I'm thinking American Family is getting the better of me.:confused:

jkski
12-17-2007, 03:18 PM
If you aren't already with an "independent agent" maybe look into one, as they will have access to more markets, which can sometimes provide a better/more competitive rate. With that said, I have my MC insured through what I believe is now being called Global Marine(www.insuremyskiboat.com), then the sleds are through Progressive and the the house and vehicles are combined through Westfield. All total, it was better to keep them separted this way for cost savings and I have my insurance agent shop my policies every year to see if we can get a better rate someplace else.

atlfootr
12-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Who do you guys use?
What should I expect to pay for basic (other guy) coverage.
Just got a really high quote:eek3: , and am looking for any input. Thx!

My input after watch'n this ... I'd get the insurance on myself and snwmobile :rolleyes:

http://popuplace.com/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=424

Mikey
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
I just bought a new Yamaha Vector GT and American Family quoted me $294 a year w/$500 ded and $370 a year w/$1000 ded. This seems pretty outrageous. The premium on my MC is less and it's worth 6 times more! I brought this point up with the agency and all they said was "well that is a pretty fast snowmobile". They're all fast - give me a break.

I was beginning to wonder if the "GT" automatically adds $$ to the premium...like buying a Mustang vs. a Mustang GT. If anyone has suggestions for more reasonable rates, post away. Between homeowners, vehicles, and the boat I'm thinking American Family is getting the better of me.:confused:

I dont think total value has much to do with it. I would think that the reason snomobile insurance is higher is because it is a higher risk for an insurance company to take. I would assume that if you compare statistics of how many claims are made on boats vs. snowmobiles you would see more on snowmobiles. I could be wrong but I think thats how it works.

MIMC
12-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Progressive for me, paying about the same as jkski.

Datdude
12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
was the deer good?

I had no way to get it back to town. I don't like venison anyways:rolleyes: :D

PM at you Vogelm1

I know when Yamaha came out with the RX-1 and it's 1000cc engine(or whatever it is) it was causing problems with insurance companies. They were looking at the CC's and not the horsepower.

mitch
12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I just signed up w/ foremost, liability and med pay only for 2 sleds, total was 263.00 and I have my wife and 3 kids on the policies. Seems pretty good to me, esp w. the kids on there. Local progressive rep was 1300.00. I'll check into using them for my quads and boats when the time comes. thx for the replies.