PDA

View Full Version : What would you get?

Doug G
12-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Long story short the boss has offered up a company car and all expenses (ezpass, gas, insurance, etc) with a $40k budget for the purchase. I have a 54 mile / 1 hour commute each way highway to work and do 30-40k per year. Currently driving an 04 Durango.

I am torn between getting something that I can still pull the boat with 2-3 times per year and throw the wakeboards /snowboards in the back each weekend or going with something better on economy. We drive about 1hr each weekend in the summer to the lake with the coolers, boards etc and would look to do this in the new car. The wife's car is a camaro and out of the question for that.

To complicate things, my son just got his jr license and wants a car. He doesn't really want the durango but dumping it is not an option for a variety of reasons. So looks like he is driving a Durango.

Prostar in Michigain
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
New tahoes are nice, new wranglers are very nice also. Or how about a escalade

Monte
12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Go Diesel...

F-250 Crew Cab.. Better Mileage.. Truck bed.. and plenty of tourqe to pull the X-30..... Just My opinion

3event
12-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I have worn out a few company cars, as have my colleagues. Tranny and other assorted issues with Chryslers. Stupid stuff on Grand Prix's like intermediate steering shafts, alternators, main bearing (ouch). All this has left me a bit sour on American sedans. Time in rentals such as Impalas, also not too satisfying. All those are a lot less expensive than what your budget allows, however.

If you have 1 truck in the family, why not something that would be a bit more fun to drive and toss around a bit? How about:
Acura TL
Infiniti G35
Toyota Avalon (not as sporting, but nice ROOMY car)

if must be American
Chrysler 300 AWD (the roomiest vehicle, love the space in these sedans with the potential caveat of reliability issues)
New Pontiac G8, available V8 or big V6. (looks nice, reliability ??? who knows ???)

wakolman
12-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I have been kicking around the idea of a suburban. I like them for their ablity to carry all the "stuff" needed when we take a trip. They would tow well also. That would be my pick. But....if you only need to tow a couple of times per year, and are keeping the Durango, then you already have your tow vehicle.

If you have more than one kid, something with space would be nice. Do you have to buy a new car, or can it be one that has 5000-10000 miles? You can get more for the $ on the slightly used/demo stuff. Since you drive a lot of miles, make sure you are comfortable in it. I don't like sitting in our 4Runner any longer than I have to.

I test drove a 2007 Cadillac DTS. Great options, side curtain airbags. I liked the comfort of it. New they are in the 40's. Slightly used/demo the price drops waaaaay down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Blue-Chip-DTS-Luxury-II-Nav-Chrome-Wheels-Leather_W0QQitemZ230197257978QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem230197257978

Doug G
12-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I have worn out a few company cars, as have my colleagues. Tranny and other assorted issues with Chryslers. Stupid stuff on Grand Prix's like intermediate steering shafts, alternators, main bearing (ouch). All this has left me a bit sour on American sedans. Time in rentals such as Impalas, also not too satisfying. All those are a lot less expensive than what your budget allows, however.

If you have 1 truck in the family, why not something that would be a bit more fun to drive and toss around a bit? How about:
Acura TL
Infiniti G35
Toyota Avalon (not as sporting, but nice ROOMY car)

if must be American
Chrysler 300 AWD (the roomiest vehicle, love the space in these sedans with the potential caveat of reliability issues)
New Pontiac G8, available V8 or big V6. (looks nice, reliability ??? who knows ???)

I have been thinking along the fun lines as well. If timing was better I would even take a look at the Challenger ... My draw back to these is if the kid takes off in the Durango it needs to handle 4-6 ppl , cooler, and boards to get to the lake or the mountain.

monte you must have missed the $40k budget part :o

American is not a requirement from the company. (debate for another thread) I would really love to be a little greener that the 16mpg I am doing today though.

rholmes
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
If the son gets the durango, do you still need a truck to pull the boat and the other trips that require more space?

How about a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? Either one could pull a a boat, get around 20mpg or maybe better on the highway. Could also go with a Pathfinder (40k budget would get you one LLLOOOOAAAADDDDEEEDDDD!!!)

3event
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Wakolman, I had a DTS for a rental and it was a very nice ride. I had not been in a new Cadillac, very impressed. Comfort, quiet, and really decent handling for a large car - making it a great business vehicle. They've gotten pretty spendy.

In any case, the wife told me never to come home with a Cadillac sedan of any type! I don't know what women have against these new ones - Caddy has really shaped up.

Leroy
12-13-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm with 3event with the miles you drive, get a nice car, give your son the Durango (then you still have the boat puller), all problems solved!

Doug G
12-13-2007, 01:10 AM
If the son gets the durango, do you still need a truck to pull the boat and the other trips that require more space?

How about a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? Either one could pull a a boat, get around 20mpg or maybe better on the highway. Could also go with a Pathfinder (40k budget would get you one LLLOOOOAAAADDDDEEEDDDD!!!)

As long as the durango is around it will do the job except for CSM and that will be a rental anyway. Don't know if I want to count on a 16 y/o being around :)

In any case, the wife told me never to come home with a Cadillac sedan of any type! I don't know what women have against these new ones - Caddy has really shaped up.

Not sure why they hold the stigma. They really have shaped up but are pricey. The CTS could be in the budget with some negotiation. The rest aren't

88 PS190
12-13-2007, 02:08 AM
3 series bmw...

milkmania
12-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Dodge Magnum
Chrysler Crossfire
Dodge Charger
Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ -------> blows the budget, but a damn fine ride

I can spend someone else's money all day long8p

JohnE
12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Avalanche.

KnoxX2
12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Get a Demo 07 Tahoe LT or LTZ. Good gas, Flex Fuel and power to tow the boat.

Maristar210
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Don't forget the Envoy Denali XL. Our business owns two of them and no problems with either. Tows a boat just fine and lotsa room:
http://www.wittenbachsales.com/Showcase/internal.cfm?&redirect=vehicledetails2&initQues=no_speak&InventoryID=26162842

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 10:06 AM
What conditions do you drive in? Where are you located? Does mpg matter whatsoever if someone else foots the bill?

Chevy Tahoe should be in the 35k range
Ford F150 Crew
Chevy 1500 Crew or avalanche

Cadillac as you mentioned.
Pontiac G8 (But you'll have to wait a few months)
Pontiac Grand Prix
Jeep Grand Cherokee (They have Diesels too now if you desire)

wakolman
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Wakolman, I had a DTS for a rental and it was a very nice ride. I had not been in a new Cadillac, very impressed. Comfort, quiet, and really decent handling for a large car - making it a great business vehicle. They've gotten pretty spendy.

My wife didn't like the Caddy either! If you want more of a sporty ride, the STS will foot the bill, it is rwd also. Not practical for me in Wisconsin with almost 2 feet of snow outside right now.

Did you see this link? It is a new 07 DTS for 32k obo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Blue-Chip-DTS-Luxury-II-Nav-Chrome-Wheels-Leather_W0QQitemZ230197257978QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem230197257978

That is a smokin deal.

Anywho, it is your decision and your bosses $$. Your employer is being nice about letting you pick out the vehicle.

I got my diesel for under 40k, so it can be done.

Roonie's
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
We too have had a stipend for a company car for as long as I can remember. The question is can you pocket whatever money you don't use? Is there a clause where it can only be 3 years old and have to upgrade?

I can tell you we went the expensive route and bought a really nice company car that still fell within the stipend as the company gives us a lump payment every month rather then a one time payout. The lump payment covers almost any car payment you can have and insurance. If we were to do it again we would go cheap and have a small car and small car payment and we would pocket the rest of the monthly stipend (That would probaby pay for boat payments too).

Our other car is a suburban for towing the boat so the company car could be whatever.

Jorski
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Get a Demo 07 Tahoe LT or LTZ. Good gas, Flex Fuel and power to tow the boat.

Amen brother. Bought an LTZ for the better half in the summer. I absolutely love it !

BrianM
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Avalanche. With rebatesa and such you should be able to get a mostly loaded out LTZ to come in under your $40k budget. Can't beat the utility or the ride. As roomy inside as the first two rows of a Suburban but with a huge trunk/truck bed. I have 30k on my '07 and still love it as much as the day I bought it. Despite the window sticker it isn't the best on gas (probably as good as the Durango though and your company is paying) but it is a great ride on the road. I put between 70 and 100 a day on mine.

stuartmcnair
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Toyota Avalon Limited. Drive one, they are amazing.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Toyota Avalon Limited. Drive one, they are amazing.
Yea butt it's a toyota... Who the he!! wants one of those POS... Puullllleese

Thrall
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
You could get a fairly well optioned crew cab diesel pickup of your choice for $40k. Do it! More power than anything else on the road under $40k (especially of you put a few bucks into a programmer or tune). More interior room than about anything on the road, except a Suburban. Hauls more stuff than anything else you'd buy. Tow more (or more easily) than anything else. Same or better fuel mileage than any other full size SUV's or trucks. Just as many interior luxuries as any passenger car.
And..................you're not paying for the fuel, insurance or repairs, so don't worry about being "green." You can drive a Prius when you're too old to pull yourself up into a truck!:D

phecksel
12-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Dodge Charger!

Your boat is probably above the V8 towing capacity, but what a blast for a car!
http://www.hecksel.com/images/charger/2007_09_22/a/images/DSC_14651.jpg

Datdude
12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
You could get a fairly well optioned crew cab diesel pickup of your choice for $40k. Do it! More power than anything else on the road under $40k (especially of you put a few bucks into a programmer or tune). More interior room than about anything on the road, except a Suburban. Hauls more stuff than anything else you'd buy. Tow more (or more easily) than anything else. Same or better fuel mileage than any other full size SUV's or trucks. Just as many interior luxuries as any passenger car.
And..................you're not paying for the fuel, insurance or repairs, so don't worry about being "green." You can drive a Prius when you're too old to pull yourself up into a truck!:D

I like how you roll and I would agree:cool: I am very happy with my new Silverado and GM has some great rebates or financing options on leftover 2007s right now

Lennyp04
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi DOUG aka chief its mike

cbryan70
12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
isnt there a new camero coming out?

Hollywood
12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Buying a diesel to sit in 2 hours a day going over 100 miles makes absolutely no sense to me. Towing 2-3 trips per year = diesel?? You guys are crazy!

So because the boss pays for fuel you guys think MPG doesn't matter? Easy for you to say, but I doubt many of you would do it. Just because you're getting a fuel allowance doesn't mean you need to max it out.

I'd find a nice sporty/comfy 4-door sedan to cruise to work in. I'd go for a CTS, and as much as I hate to say... Maxima.

So your 16 year old son wants a car and you just hand over the keys? Wow.

cbryan70
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bruce
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Based on your needs I would definitely take a look at the Honda Pilot. Seats 8, rides like a dream for an suv, good mileage, 4wd if you need it. No problem in your price range. etc, etc. Wife has one (03) great mid sized. Safety ratings are super.

Jim@BAWS
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
isnt there a new camero coming out?

2009 RELEASE DATE !!!

Jerseydave
12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi DOUG! Here's my short list if I was in your situation:

Car: The new Mercedes C-class is awesome! You can get a loaded C-350 for around $40K. However, if you want 4-matic for the snow, you have to get the C-300. Still nice, just a little less quick.

SUV: Tahoe or Avalanche!!! EVERYONE loves them! Suburban if you need the extra space. All with 100,000 mile warantee.

Pickups: I'm a die-hard Chevy guy, but the Nissan TITAN is an awesome truck! 5.6 liter, plenty of grunt to tow that X-30 down here to the river! :)

If you get any of the above trucks, I need to road-test it with you just, well, just because! :)

-Dave

BrianM
12-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Pickups: I'm a die-hard Chevy guy, but the Nissan TITAN is an awesome truck! 5.6 liter, plenty of grunt to tow that X-30 down here to the river! :)

I wouldn't want to drive many miles in the Titan. They don't have all that great of a ride and are kind of noisy inside but the biggest thing is they are PIGS on gas. Most owners in the real world don't see much better than 13-14 combined driving. That sucks! (pun intended) A Suburban/Tahoe/Avy/1500 Truck will have a much better ride (especially the SUVs) and get around 18 mpg combined.

ShamrockIV
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I love my YUKON XL. I drive 50 miles each way everyday but use a 96 jetta for daily commute!!

Doug G
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Buying a diesel to sit in 2 hours a day going over 100 miles makes absolutely no sense to me. Towing 2-3 trips per year = diesel?? You guys are crazy!

So because the boss pays for fuel you guys think MPG doesn't matter? Easy for you to say, but I doubt many of you would do it. Just because you're getting a fuel allowance doesn't mean you need to max it out.

I'd find a nice sporty/comfy 4-door sedan to cruise to work in. I'd go for a CTS, and as much as I hate to say... Maxima.

So your 16 year old son wants a car and you just hand over the keys? Wow.

Agree about the diesel and fuel... as for the last one ... no , he has a job and will be paying some. but that's another thread.

Doug G
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Avalanche. With rebatesa and such you should be able to get a mostly loaded out LTZ to come in under your $40k budget. Can't beat the utility or the ride. As roomy inside as the first two rows of a Suburban but with a huge trunk/truck bed. I have 30k on my '07 and still love it as much as the day I bought it. Despite the window sticker it isn't the best on gas (probably as good as the Durango though and your company is paying) but it is a great ride on the road. I put between 70 and 100 a day on mine.

I have been thinking about the Avy. I was debating about trading the Durango on one before this came up. Although I was wondering how it would ride for the daily 105 miles.

I have yet to hear someone talk down on an Avy. Any other Avy or CTS owners?

Doug G
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM
What conditions do you drive in? Where are you located? Does mpg matter whatsoever if someone else foots the bill?

Chevy Tahoe should be in the 35k range
Ford F150 Crew
Chevy 1500 Crew or avalanche

Cadillac as you mentioned.
Pontiac G8 (But you'll have to wait a few months)
Pontiac Grand Prix
Jeep Grand Cherokee (They have Diesels too now if you desire)

Allentown PA to Philly PA to Poconos PA. 5-10 4wd days a year. 90% on highway. MPG matters becuase I am still accountable for the company profitability and we all have to be accountable for the environment IMHO. That being said it is not the #1 factor.

Kinda surprised to see the trucks at the top of the list from you, expected more of the "toy" focus :D

Doug G
12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Dodge Charger!

Your boat is probably above the V8 towing capacity, but what a blast for a car!
http://www.hecksel.com/images/charger/2007_09_22/a/images/DSC_14651.jpg

I would prefer the challenger R/T over the charger based on what I am reading.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Allentown PA to Philly PA to Poconos PA. 5-10 4wd days a year. 90% on highway. MPG matters becuase I am still accountable for the company profitability and we all have to be accountable for the environment IMHO. That being said it is not the #1 factor.

Kinda surprised to see the trucks at the top of the list from you, expected more of the "toy" focus :D
Tahoe is now offered in a hybrid.

I like trucks..(Kinda sorry I sold mine).. Can't beat the all around usefulness. There are a few avalanche guys here, maybe just not checking in lately.

I refrained from my "suggestions" as you might have expected.;)
You want MPGs and fun. A Corvette gets 25, might just bust the budget a touch though.
Same goes for the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
And the Trailblazer SS

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2007, 11:02 PM
isnt there a new camaro coming out?
Available
2009 in the coupe
2010 for the convertible;)

TX.X-30 fan
12-14-2007, 01:06 AM
2500 GM/GMC crew cab Duramax/Allison loaded!!!!!!

And for the girls who always poo poo diesels- Shut-up and drive one before you make ridiculous accusations!!!

lanier92prostar
12-14-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree about the truck. I have a 2005 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison. Great vehicle to tow, but I don't know if I could handle the long commute on a daily basis. Mine rides horrible unless I am towing. We also have a Tahoe. The ride is much better, but I get better highway mileage from my duramax.

dmayer84
12-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I would go with the avalance or silverado/sierra. I might be a bit biased though. If you want to see how the 1500's do towing it let me know.

Edit- They are available with the fuel managment engines that shutdown 4 cylinders, dont have much experience with it though as my daily commute is 3 miles.

lanier92prostar
12-14-2007, 01:17 AM
My 1500 towed just fine. We took a smaller travel trailer to Maine with now problems. I was probably around 6000 lbs. I would still have it had my wife not wanted the larger 5th wheel. Now I will never have anything other than the diesel for towing. But for a daily commute and just towing a boat, I would go with the 1500 because the ride has got to be better than my HD.

H20skeefreek
12-14-2007, 08:46 AM
This guy is going to use this car 40k miles a year, and you are suggesting full size 3/ton+ pickups and avalanches? This kind of blows me away. Have we no environmental consciousness here? I know a few people suggested getting a sedan and using his son's durango for towing the boat, but most are making very irresponsible suggestions. If you are worried that the derange won't be there when you need it, you simply have to say "it has to be here when I need it if you want to drive it".

BrianM
12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I have been thinking about the Avy. I was debating about trading the Durango on one before this came up. Although I was wondering how it would ride for the daily 105 miles.

The Avy rides really nice. I have the LTZ with Autoride and I have to say I have never been in or driven another SUV or truck with a better ride. In fact it rides a whole lote better than about 80% of the sedans I have ridden in. Great highway manners, very comfortable and quiet inside, lots of room. Go drive one.

This guy is going to use this car 40k miles a year, and you are suggesting full size 3/ton+ pickups and avalanches? This kind of blows me away. Have we no environmental consciousness here? I know a few people suggested getting a sedan and using his son's durango for towing the boat, but most are making very irresponsible suggestions. If you are worried that the derange won't be there when you need it, you simply have to say "it has to be here when I need it if you want to drive it". He is currently driving a Durango. Not exactly a green vehicle. In the case of the GM SUVs at least the gas mileage will be better than in the Durango and he would have the ability to run E85 making a trade up to a 3ton SUV more environmentally friendly. Plus you get a vehicle that rides and drives great on the road, is comfortable for him and clients/passengers and he can tow his boat.

I drive 30k a year and also have to have the ability to tow my boat. I've thought about it many times but the math just doesn't work to purchase a seperate commute car. Plus you have to factor in the environmental footprint of the production and recycling of two vehicles for my use.

rrbooker
12-14-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with Brian!!!! I have had my truck for 2 weeks and i will say its the best truck i've ever driven!

BTW the LTZ's are around $40000 New!

TX.X-30 fan
12-14-2007, 10:47 AM
BrianM hits a home run ( no steroids) !!!! :D

Edit: Hey H2 great topic for a thread though???

TT Members and Environmental Consciousness!!!! 8p

Hollywood
12-14-2007, 11:51 AM
2500 GM/GMC crew cab Duramax/Allison loaded!!!!!!

Reminder, he is not in CA or TX...:confused:

Allentown PA to Philly PA to Poconos PA.

bdecker
12-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd strongly recommend the 3-series BMW. You couldn't get a fully loaded 335xi for $40k, but I'd bet you could get into a 328xi for that price and it will be a heck of a lot more comfortable in the commute than a truck. That would also solve your 4 wheel drive problem. I'd take the traction of my BMW over any 4-wheel drive truck I have ever owned (Ford, GMC, or Nissan). With snows it'll handle any conditons you'll run into with the exception of super deep snow that you'll never find if your on the road. Plus, BMW doesn't force you to get the frickin' automatic like Infinity doe if you are getting AWD(of course your boss might...). As for the towing, if you're son is getting a subsidized car, I'd think it's reasonable that he'd help you out...

Datdude
12-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Reminder, he is not in CA or TX...:confused:

What is that supposed to mean:confused:

I would strongly suggest a Chevy Aveo. They have tons of room, loads of power, stylish 14" rims and great road manners. Their crash protection is also excellent. Heck....for $40K you could get a fleet of 4:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Edit: Hey H2 great topic for a thread though???

TT Members and Environmental Consciousness!!!! 8p

Someone tell me which part of a owning a boat with V8 engine (Or 2 of them in some cases) is Environmentally conscious. (Other than leaving it parked in your living room with the engine missing.)
I may be off the mark here, but using a recreational vehicle forum for this might just be about the worst place I could think of.

Might be worse on a "Yachting life" forum.
Point being- The last Yacht I was on used 2500 gallons of fuel in 4 days (if I recall correctly).

chevy08bud
12-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd go with the Avalanche, they do tow very well, and the new ones are very nice. I have an 02 z71 avalanche and love it... when it comes time to get another truck, we'll definately get another Avalanche. Once you get one, you'll never go back... I promise, unless you get a 5th wheel or start hauling huge loads all the time.

JohnE
12-14-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm on my 2nd avalanche. Had an '03 and now an '05. My wife says it rides better than her car. (E430 Benz.) It does not ride anything like a pickup truck for whatever reason.

peason
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
What about a nicely equipped GMC Acadia? I am thinking about this for my next company car, but I don't get 40K to spend. It can tow 4,500 lbs. and is nice ride and gets okay gas milage.

H20skeefreek
12-14-2007, 10:03 PM
So, let me get this straight, we can't care about the environment if we have a v8 boat? Maybe I'm suggesting that we should do something to offset the damage we do with our boats. I was simply commenting that he asked what to use as a daily driver that he'll be driving 40K miles per year, when he already has something to tow with, and we suggest GMC 2500's and Suburbans (same as an avalanche).

I'm not suggesting in any way that we should by any means go completely granola. I don't buy global warming, but you can't deny that we are pumping MILLIONS of tons of pollutants into the air every year. Seems like would could make SOME sort of effort to have a decent place for our kids. Heck, Al Gore, the king of environmentalists has a MC, or did anyway.

Willski
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I agree with H20skeefreek to a point. If you need a tow vehicle, buy a tow vehicle. I like the Acadia. We have a Pilot that tows okay as long as you don't have to tow too much. It is very roomy though If you can live with the Durango, I would buy something fun and smaller. For $40K, you could buy a nice Audi A4, or a BMW 3 series, or similar. Just a few suggestions.

I drive my truck to work, but I only drive 7 miles each way. If my wife or I had a really long drive to work, I think our 2 vehicles would be a good tow vehicle and a small 4 door car.

TX.X-30 fan
12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
So, let me get this straight, we can't care about the environment if we have a v8 boat? Maybe I'm suggesting that we should do something to offset the damage we do with our boats. I was simply commenting that he asked what to use as a daily driver that he'll be driving 40K miles per year, when he already has something to tow with, and we suggest GMC 2500's and Suburbans (same as an avalanche).

I'm not suggesting in any way that we should by any means go completely granola. I don't buy global warming, but you can't deny that we are pumping MILLIONS of tons of pollutants into the air every year. Seems like would could make SOME sort of effort to have a decent place for our kids. Heck, Al Gore, the king of environmentalists has a MC, or did anyway.

OK OK so here it is my next tow vehicle????

Whats wrong with a grown man having a daily driver that is comfortable? Why would someone want to spend 40,000 miles a year in some tiny plastic beater?? H20 take no offence here but I don't do any damage with my boat, my family and I enjoy our time and exercise together on the boat so I see no damage there??

What all these enviro freaks want is for you to curb your carbon footprint while they fly to Paris and have dinner and then fly home??

Texans have always been good stewards of our land as have others, to hear the nightly news from Manhattan you would think the country in one big toxic wasteland??

H20skeefreek
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I never suggested driving around in an uncomfortable plastic car. I just suggested something smaller than a 4 ton truck. You won't find me driving around in a plastic car, as a matter of fact, I currently (hopefully not much longer) drive a tahoe as my daily driver, but I only drive 30 miles/day, 4 days a week. I was just suggesting that we suggest something that gets better than 14mpg.

TX.X-30 fan
12-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I never suggested driving around in an uncomfortable plastic car. I just suggested something smaller than a 4 ton truck. You won't find me driving around in a plastic car, as a matter of fact, I currently (hopefully not much longer) drive a tahoe as my daily driver, but I only drive 30 miles/day, 4 days a week. I was just suggesting that we suggest something that gets better than 14mpg.

4 tons= 8000lbs. My truck is 8700lbs!!!!!

You shorted me 700lbs????? I'm pissed!!!!! :D :D

I tow and use my truck for business, with that said I still think the avalanche suggestion was right-on-dude. ;)

H20skeefreek
12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
LOL, sorry I understated the weight of your gas guzzler, am I giving you too much credit with my 14mpg estimate too?

Obviously I'm not opposed to tow vehicles, they are necessary for what we do, I was just saying that there are better suggestions for this use.

My suggestion is the new to be released Chevy Malibu.

Footin
12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I like my Avalanche, but sometimes I wish I have a sporty car, like the Acura TL.

I think I actually like diving my wifes Trailblazer more than the truck.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
So, let me get this straight, we can't care about the environment if we have a v8 boat?
I assume you directed this question toward me.
My point was (if you go back and reread the post I quoted) I wouldn't suggest a thread about environmental consciousness in this forum.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2007, 01:04 AM
LOL, sorry I understated the weight of your gas guzzler, am I giving you too much credit with my 14mpg estimate too?

Obviously I'm not opposed to tow vehicles, they are necessary for what we do, I was just saying that there are better suggestions for this use.

My suggestion is the new to be released Chevy Malibu.
My V6 (80% highway) gets about 15-17 (towing gets 8-10)
My V8 (city & local) gets about 14-15 (towing gets 13-14)

My 8000# diesel 4x4 crew was in the neighborhood of 18mpg. Including having a trailer on its back almost every weekend I owned it. Loaded with Jeeps, snowmobiles, boats, cars, ATVs, dirtbikes..etc. and people with all the necessary gear to go along with each.

I will say the new malibu will be a good seller. Looks like a winner.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2007, 01:11 AM
OK OK so here it is my next tow vehicle????

Whats wrong with a grown man having a daily driver that is comfortable? Why would someone want to spend 40,000 miles a year in some tiny plastic beater?? H20 take no offence here but I don't do any damage with my boat, my family and I enjoy our time and exercise together on the boat so I see no damage there??

What all these enviro freaks want is for you to curb your carbon footprint while they fly to Paris and have dinner and then fly home??

Texans have always been good stewards of our land as have others, to hear the nightly news from Manhattan you would think the country in one big toxic wasteland??

I fear for the 20,000+ people waiting for the arrival of that car. One hit and their dead.
Or should I say, I fear for all of us.

TX.X-30 fan
12-15-2007, 02:04 AM
No truer words have been spoken, first time someone is splattered in that useless POS the news will call for reduced size vehicles on America's roads!!!!

Listen closely here------- We are not Europe and hopefully never will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll have fun now here. :D :D :D :D

Jerseydave
12-15-2007, 10:55 AM
My feelings about large SUV's are this:

If you need one for towing or for it's large carrying capacity (work-related perhaps) then by all means, buy one.

I will say I see alot of people driving Excursions and Suburbans who really don't need them for towing anything, they just like big SUVs. (Now that gas is over $3.00 gal. I'm seeing less of that)
My K-2500 Suburban sits in the garage except for towing the boat, camper or plowing snow in winter. I drive the wife's car all the rest of the time.

If Doug needs to tow the boat occasionally, a car just isn't going to cut it.

H20skeefreek
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
No, most cars would not be able to tow the boat, but his son got his jr license, so I am assuming that he's still living at home. If the son gets the Durango, I think it would be fair to say "if you don't want to buy your own car, the Durango needs to be here when I need it, since I own it". But maybe I'm just a horrible parent.

TX.X-30 fan
12-15-2007, 11:35 AM
My feelings about large SUV's are this:

My K-2500 Suburban
If Doug needs to tow the boat occasionally, a car just isn't going to cut it.

I'm with you njskier, I want my own personal fleet of 2500 suburbans, For now all I have Is the starter kit "one"!!!!

Back to the topic at hand!!! This gentleman has to spend a great deal of time in his auto and this all goes to quality of life here. Why in the world should he not drive whatever in the world he feels comfortable in??? Its not like he is flying a 12 passenger Lear around the country alone!

My wife drives a 3/4 ton suburban with my 2 kids and I feel great about the fact that my family is safe. When some illegal alien plows into her chances are they will get the helicopter ride not her!! :D

Edit: h2o you are not a horrible parent, no matter what WFT says!!!!

H20skeefreek
12-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I would really love to be a little greener that the 16mpg I am doing today though.

This is all I was commenting on. If Doug G wants to buy an m1 Abrams tank, I don't care, I was just saying, the guy asked for suggestions and said that he was interested in being a little greener, and we suggested 4.35ton 8p gas guzzlerz. It just surprises me that people that play in the water, don't seem to care about clean air and water.

JohnE
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
My wife drives a 3/4 ton suburban with my 2 kids and I feel great about the fact that my family is safe. When some illegal alien plows into her chances are they will get the helicopter ride not her!! :D

True dat.

One of my wife's best friends bought a new Camry last year. She was rear ended a few months ago and if she had the kids with her, they would have been seriously injured after seeing the wreck. She has gone back to a trailblazer, I believe.

Maristar210
12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Speaking of this we had an accident here last year, an H2 broad sided a 1500 suburban. Killed three in the burban...

That H2? Barely a scratch. I was astonished at the conditon of the suburban versus the H2 :( :(

Jerseydave
12-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I would guess that most of the time the passengers in the vehicle that gets "t-boned" will come out much worse than the other vehicle with the frontal impact. (built-in crumple zone made to withstand more impact than the side of a vehicle).

Not many vehicles larger than the H2. (except heavy trucks of course) And bigger is usually safer. Now, when is GM going to come out with a Duramax-powered H2 or Suburban??? (I'm waiting) :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Edit: h2o you are not a horrible parent, no matter what WFT says!!!!

It's all fun 'til someone puts words in my mouth like this.:(
(This is one of those posts I don't find amusing)

H20skeefreek
12-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't worry w4t, I assumed nothing of the sort.

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2007, 12:01 PM
It's all fun 'til someone puts words in my mouth like this.:(
(This is one of those posts I don't find amusing)

Think back................... when exactly did you lose your sense of humor??? JEEEEEZ!!

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
It's all fun 'til someone puts words in my mouth like this then its even more fun than cleaning my garage really!!!!!!
(This is one of those posts I find amusing)

I'm with you there buddy!!!!!!~ :D :D

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
This is all I was commenting on. If Doug G wants to buy an m1 Abrams tank, I don't care, I was just saying, the guy asked for suggestions and said that he was interested in being a little greener, and we suggested 4.35ton 8p gas guzzlerz. It just surprises me that people that play in the water, don't seem to care about clean air and water.

I think we are pretty green, I was just enjoying the banter H20.

That suburban of my wife's goes for a month between fill-ups.

Puron heat pump 16 seer.

Appliances all energy star rated.

AC 78 summer, Heat 70 winter!

My truck is mandatory for my construction business.

Double pane windows throughout.

Cars tuned tires inflated correctly.

R-38 attic insulation.

Probably more but these come to mind with a foggy beer induced coma!!! :D ;)

That tank crap is funny too!!!!!! 8p

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
OOPS doubled up

Workin' 4 Toys
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I think we are pretty green, I was just enjoying the banter H20.

In case I have given the wrong impression (Here is a very small sample)
R26 & R32 Walls
R40 Attic
14.5 SEER
Majority Energy star (remainder in process)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Think back................... when exactly did you lose your sense of humor??? JEEEEEZ!!
I got it,8p
But that was a pretty direct insult if HE didn't understand your humor.
Get it now?:cool:

Rapunzl
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I was in a car accident a couple of years ago and lost my Geo Prizm...it had almost 250,000 miles on it and could have gone for at least another 50,000. I was upset at losing it...that little car was like a best friend!! I drive 54 miles one-way to work Monday through Friday. That dang car saw me through nursing school and two pregnancies. After the accident, I got a Saturn Vue...not the snazziest mini-SUV, but it's really reliable and fuel efficient. I get about 26-28 mpg with the distance I put on it daily. I fill-up twice a week, at about 35 bucks each time...not too bad, by today's standards!

phecksel
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I would prefer the challenger R/T over the charger based on what I am reading.
For what, carrying two passengers and going fast? If that's your criteria, Mustang and Camaro also fit the bill.

Charger can tow up to 3,800 lbs with load leveling. The car is a frickin blast to drive. It seats my family very comfortably. and did I tell you it's a blast to drive? Charger and Challenger will appeal to two different sets of customers. Chrysler made the right decision keeping it based on the same platform and sharing parts with Charger. Allows them to plan for lower volume without excessive associated low volume costs. Biggest problem with Challenger is going to be dealer mark up.