PDA

View Full Version : painful

kev88
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
This may come across as a dumb question but how painful is wakeboarding? I am 37 and in decent shape. Will probably be purchasing my first wakeboard after the first of the year and "ease" my way into it. Are the falls painful, is it something that I could really get hurt doing? Can't afford to miss work etc. I've read many posts here and on wakeworld and can't get a real feel for the "pain factor"....

Opinions appreciated - thanks!

JoshBuzz
12-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Not as bad as skiing!! You're only going 23-24 mph, and you pick your own difficulty and risk! If you go big and fall, sure it'll hurt a bit more, but wake2wake isn't that huge! My dad's in his mid fourties, and has no problem! The sore factor sucks, but doesn't it with any sport?? My back always winds up sore, and my arms, but I'm not in prime shape, so that explains it!! try it once and you'll be hooked, and there aren't any real career ending injuries unless you hit your face trying to make a rail, or don't let go of the handle, you could pull your shoulder out, or if you tweak it on your fall, tear your ACL, nothing past a regular sport though!!

ShamrockIV
12-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I am soon to be 35 and gonna start wakeboarding pretty hard this summer!!! I am in the same boat as you. I am in the military so an injury is maybe career threatening but i think that falls should not be much worse if as bad as slalom falls!!!

My only precaution, and this has been well dispuited here, is i am gonna wear a helmet with ear protection! I really can't afford to blow out an eardrum!!

I may be wrong!!! (ask my wife)

06' X-2 R8R H8R
12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
44 and ruptured the eardrum....HURT LIKE $#@%.

cbryan70
12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
wakeboarding can be real fun if your just out there to mess around. thats basically what i do...as long as there isnt beer involved it doesnt tend to be as painful from my experience

03 35th Anniversary
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm the odd man out on this one.

In my case I have had worse falls wakeboarding than footing. If I fall footing I slide across the water, if I fall wakeboarding its like I got an anchor tied to my feet.

Jerseydave
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I've been slalom skiing for 35 years, wakeboarding for about 3 years. I've never even thought about wearing a helmet while slalom skiing, but most people I wakeboard with wear helmets.

I feel you can get hurt easier wakeboarding than slalom skiing. The speed is slower, but the falls come quick! Sort of a mousetrap effect if you catch an edge.

Just this year some of my riding friends have had the following injuries:

-Dislocated foot
-Bruised ribs
-Blown eardrum
-Broken leg (just above ankle, required surgery,metal plate installed)

Not trying to scare you (ok, maybe a little)
Just don't ride beyond your comfort zone, and you'll be fine.

JoshBuzz
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I guess it's extreme sport, of course there are risks, but good advice, don't ride out of your comfort zone! given your age, I'm guessing you won't be goin to big!!

Aric'sX15
12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
sounds like wakesurfing would be the best bet. but wakeboarding is well worth the pain.

03 35th Anniversary
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I guess it's extreme sport, of course there are risks, but good advice, don't ride out of your comfort zone! given your age, I'm guessing you won't be goin to big!!Man give'm him a break he is not living in the retirement home yet....... :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

WTRSK1R
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm the odd man out on this one.

In my case I have had worse falls wakeboarding than footing. If I fall footing I slide across the water, if I fall wakeboarding its like I got an anchor tied to my feet.

I cant wakeboard for nothing, but it seems like everytime I try I catch an edge just crossing the wake or something and slam into the water HARD. Now don't get me wrong I have blown the same ear drum twice from slalom falls. (3 summers apart) I have injured a shoulder on deep water barefoot starts, and I have never had more then a whole lot of pain wakeboarding, but as someone else said the falls seem to come really quick and given my lack of skill, for no apparent reason. Then again, my lack of skill is probably the reason. :rolleyes:

I would really like to get to the point that I can at least ride behind the boat and cross the wake a few times without crashing, but so far, I am not there.

RexDog1
12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I started skiing when I was very young so after skiing for 30+ years or so, I started wakeboarding and I love it!!!!!! I am 45 now and this past summer I had a fall…. Blown eardrum and broke my back in two places will have surgery the first of the year on my back …......I don’t think I will be back on a board soon.. looking back........ I would not change a thing, I hope to be back on a board in late 08 ?? I hope …….. I love the sport …..but to say you will not get hurt……..? The way I look at it is …..this it no dress rehearsal, live life !!!!! Have fun!!!! And don’t pee into the wind ……………… and if you live life with out pain you are not living …..
or not marred …….LOL Hi DEER………:D

thijs
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Totally harmless man. Much easier on your muscles and joints. There are the odd freak posterior tibialis tendon tear, okay just me.

But really, it is a great sport and way easier (on you) than some of the others.

TX.X-30 fan
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I guess it's extreme sport, of course there are risks, but good advice, don't ride out of your comfort zone! given your age, I'm guessing you won't be goin to big!!

BITE ME, AGGIE BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

88 PS190
12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't like the pain from wakeboarding. Myself I prefer the slalom pain, injury from falling rather than just general whole body pain... Ever wonder why wakeboarders like their helmets? all the bell ringers, If i'm really pushing I might take one or two painful falls a day on the slalom... push on a wakeboard atleast 10...

RexDog1
12-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Age is just a number ………….. Go Big, Or Go Home:D

mitch
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
You can do it, but like others said, don;t try to do too much. I'm 43 and 1/2 ski 1/2 board. Lotta fun once you learn, and the people in your boat will have a blast watching your faceplants as you learn to ride:D

wakolman
12-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I just got a helmet and plan on using it whenever I "push it". When I try to expand my ability is where I end up catching an edge and getting whiplash with a slight concussion. If I didn't want to do the tricks, I wouldn't need a helmet. Oh, by tricks, I mean all I can do is jump wake to wake, a 180, and go goofy foot on the water. I want to do a flip or a 360.

My wife learned to wakeboard this summer and she loves it. She just cuts outside the wake on both sides, and does a little hop over the wake. She absolutely can't afford to get injured.

Take baby steps and you will be fine.

tbd01
12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
whatever you do, do not skimp on bindings, had one foot come out on a wake 2 wake 360 crash, torn acl, partial mcl, sprained pcl, busted eardrum, but I'll be right back out ther next summer, in one of those fancy robocop braces:D

ps209jvl
12-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm 45 and just learned to wakeboard. Its really fun, but I took it real easy. Falls at 16-20 mph don't hurt as bad as 30 mph.

kev88
12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Man give'm him a break he is not living in the retirement home yet....... :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Appreciate all the feedback! If I can sneak by the nurses one weekend this spring I think I'll give it a go....:D

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Which begs the question, let's see a picture of you "going big"! And I'm not talking about those tubing pictures.

The floor is yours.

h2oskiluvr
12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Great thread! I slalom 99.9% of the time and I have had some rough falls including a broken nose this last August. I am still very nervous out there on a wakeboard and whiplash effect when you catch the edge is really something. I wear a thicker CG approved vest and a helmet when I wakeboard. I will say when I am not falling it is a pretty easy ride and I feel like I could go forever before getting tired. Not sure I have a point here except to say I would suggest extra protection relative to the discipline you are more accomplished at.

JoshBuzz
12-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Age is just a number ………….. Go Big, Or Go Home:D

definitely didn'e mean any harm with the age comment!! y'all have been through much more than me, and I respect that, but given that he's just starting and trying not to get injured, age plays a factor!! Rex, you were chargin it harder than me before the accident!! just sayin cause he's starting so late!!

JoshBuzz
12-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Which begs the question, let's see a picture of you "going big"! And I'm not talking about those tubing pictures.

The floor is yours.

low blow. Lemme see if I can find some pictures, I'm usually the one on the tube taking the pictures!! I know I've got some rough crash pictures somewhere though!

Chas
12-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I am just getting through an injury - I have been flat on my back since September the 8th. I went back to work yesterday for the first time.

I just bounced the boat over some waves on the way to the marina at full throttle - the lake was blown out and we were headed in.

I was driving the boat!

Just the right impact at just the wrong angle. Surgery December the 4th, and I am pain free and ready to get out there and build myself back up - and lose the twenty pounds I picked up along the way...

ShamrockIV
12-12-2007, 08:55 AM
My wife is getting a board for Christmas and is excited about it!!
My daughters, especially the 6 year old are really wanting a board and will prob have one by spring so it seems to be a great family activity!!

ShamrockIV
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
My wife is getting a board for Christmas and is excited about it!!
My daughters, especially the 6 year old are really wanting a board and will prob have one by spring so it seems to be a great family activity!!

coz
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
This may come across as a dumb question but how painful is wakeboarding? I am 37 and in decent shape. Will probably be purchasing my first wakeboard after the first of the year and "ease" my way into it. Are the falls painful, is it something that I could really get hurt doing? Can't afford to miss work etc. I've read many posts here and on wakeworld and can't get a real feel for the "pain factor"....

Opinions appreciated - thanks!

If you have that fear before you even hit the water then it's gonna be hard, falls hurt either on water or land. Just don't even think about it and enjoy because once you're up then you're hooked and the pain is worth the fun. It's when you start the tricks is when the pain begins.
Good luck.

TX.X-30 fan
12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Catching the the tip of the board in the lip after an aggressive cut has to be faster than 22 more like 30 I would imagine thus the split second face plant will clear all the hangover fog from the evening before!! ;)

chudson
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Just a personal observation but if your worried about the pain from wipeouts you may be in the wrong sport!!! :twocents:

Covi
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
My worst crash had to be tubing! 8 beers and a power slide later. I was tossing cookies when I came to. Knocked me out cold. Good thing for the beers, they probably loosened me up enough so I didn't snap my back. I can say that I almost pulled out of it. It was that last wake that got me. 20' up and out!!!! Ye Ha!!!!!!

Willski
12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been pretty lucky. I have a bad back and I can seem to wakeboard when my back is hurting, but slalom, (especially the course) is very hard on the lower back imo. As far as falls go, I think slalom can be the worst, then barefoot, then wakeboard. There are the occasional wakeboard falls where you catch an edge though!! Those will ring your bell. Unless you are getting very advanced, I would tend to say that wakeboarding is the least dangerous of the those 3.

RexDog1
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
definitely didn'e mean any harm with the age comment!! y'all have been through much more than me, and I respect that, but given that he's just starting and trying not to get injured, age plays a factor!! Rex, you were chargin it harder than me before the accident!! just sayin cause he's starting so late!!

LOL Josh I was just giving you a hard time,,,, that’s what old farts do……………….. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)

Take it slow when you start off, I have The Book DVD’s and it helped me out when I started wakeboarding, IMO don’t have ballast in the boat, there is no reason to have a big wake when you are learning just to cut, take it slow and have fun………..!!!!!!

tex
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I've had several wipeouts that resulted in throwing up. The worse ones are when you toss the cookies in a show and haven't had a thing to drink all day!!!! It's always funnier when it happens to your friends. I have a friend who is still introduced as the guy who crashed so hard he puked!

tex
12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
LOL Josh I was just giving you a hard time,,,, that’s what old farts do……………….. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)

Take it slow when you start off, I have The Book DVD’s and it helped me out when I started wakeboarding, IMO don’t have ballast in the boat, there is no reason to have a big wake when you are learning just to cut, take it slow and have fun………..!!!!!!
Don't listen to him, get a big wake, get wide, wait, and then cut like heck all the way through the wakes....It's the only way to learn...You'll end up a legend!!!!

Roonie's
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I have been slalom skiing my whole life (for 26 years as I am 34) as we grew up on a lake and my sister refused to let me start with two skis. Recently I have switched over to wakeboarding and wakesurfing primarily. It is much easier on the body for sure. I have had some bad wrecks slalom skiing but nothing like wakeboarding. You hit hard when you catch an edge instantaneously that is a given. But still nothing like slalom. Also I can go multiple times wakeboarding and still not be sore the next day where one slalom will always produce sore muscles. I made the switch and have never looked back and now I rarely slalom.

I should also note I have a couple doc friends who use their hands primarily as they are surgeons. Their work depends on them not getting hurt. They have started wakeboarding behind our boat and are loving it.

Muttley
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm 47. When you first start out, wakeboarding is pretty easy. It's not like you'll be getting 15 feet of air the first year. If you're just going along behind the boat, crossing the wake, it's pretty harmless.

It's when you start doing tricks. Once you catch an edge trying to go fakey it will wake you up in a hurry. I've had more serious pain wiping out on a tube and slaloming, tho'.

RexDog1
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Don't listen to him, get a big wake, get wide, wait, and then cut like heck all the way through the wakes....It's the only way to learn...You'll end up a legend!!!!

lol lol Yes you will be a LEGEND :rolleyes:

yippikaiyay
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
IMO, I find the w'boarding crashes a little tougher on the body. And it's generally when pushing to learn the next trick. I guess it's due to falling, hard and fast when I'm in various positions, whereas slalom crashes are more predictable.

mcdoon
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
IMO, I find the w'boarding crashes a little tougher on the body. And it's generally when pushing to learn the next trick. I guess it's due to falling, hard and fast when I'm in various positions, whereas slalom crashes are more predictable.

Agreed. Slalom crashes are definitely more predictable. Also, you've got less surface area being ripped off your feet/ankles/knees than with a w'board. I gotta believe that difference alone accounts for the greater pain factor in boarding. :eek3:

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
low blow. Lemme see if I can find some pictures, I'm usually the one on the tube taking the pictures!! I know I've got some rough crash pictures somewhere though!

Nothing low about it, you're the one who's calling someone in his 30s old. Forget the wipeout shots, let's see pictures of you getting the "big air." Here's a picture I snapped on our last outting of one of the guys who came along with us "going big" just so you understand that I'm not asking for 5' off the water shots. Picture was taken this past February.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0060.jpg

RexDog1
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Nothing low about it, you're the one who's calling someone in his 30s old. Forget the wipeout shots, let's see pictures of you getting the "big air." Here's a picture I snapped on our last outting of one of the guys who came along with us "going big" just so you understand that I'm not asking for 5' off the water shots. Picture was taken this past February.

weeeeeeee!!!!!! nice photo:D

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Agreed. Slalom crashes are definitely more predictable. Also, you've got less surface area being ripped off your feet/ankles/knees than with a w'board. I gotta believe that difference alone accounts for the greater pain factor in boarding. :eek3:

Now that all my challenges are done, I agree with this 100%. I'm no wakeboarder and do little more than cruise around when I bother to ride one. But I've had more trouble shaking off face plants than some of my harder OTF yard sales on slalom. Fortunately, I haven't had one of those either lately. But to be clear, the skier is ordinarily going a bit faster cross course than the boat is going down course. Impact vests save ribs.

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
weeeeeeee!!!!!! nice photo:D

Not big double ups like the first one, but here are a couple more from that day. BTW, not behind my old Pro Star. Big 2006 wake machine.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0063.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0035.jpg

RexDog1
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice Photos, looks like he is having fun!!!! :banana:
Do you think we can make easty a full time wake boarder? :rolleyes: ……LOL I would see him as a full time wake boarder before he puts the mod. hat back on :rolleyes: :D

hydro-therapy
12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
"Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body!" USMC

Maristar210
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I am 41. I started wakeboarding four years ago. I am still pretty much a novice with a few tricks in the bag. I can tell you getting settled and comfortable is the hardest part. The hardness of the falls seem to coincide with the size of the cajones. Like trying a wake to wake 180 when riding switch is difficult for you can be an issue or dropping your heel while doing a surface 360 can hurt more. Facing away from the boat and catching an edge is the worst I have hurt. Getting the wind knocked out of you and a slight concussion is the worst that has happened to me. It's a great sport and one you can share with the whole family, even if they don't ride.

I was aprehensive at first too but once I hit the water, I was Hooked !!! :D

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Nice Photos, looks like he is having fun!!!! :banana:
Do you think we can make easty a full time wake boarder? :rolleyes: ……LOL I would see him as a full time wake boarder before he puts the mod. hat back on :rolleyes: :D

I dropped that hat in the lake.

vision
12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
For me, it is the same as snowboarding versus snow skiing. The board falls are slower and having both legs pointing the same direction helps. But there is often no warning on a board and catch an edge and it is a hard face or head plant. If you are beginning, you do not need a 3 foot wake!. Shorten your line and slow the boat down and learn the fundamentals.

My advice, seek out a Pro and learn how to board correctly and safely. I do not know where you are in the Southeast, but I highly recommend Adam Fields Wakeboarding school in either NC or Florida. You will enjoy the sport significantly more if you learn proper technique.

92 190 PS
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
No question wakeboarding falls hurt the worst. I've barefooted, slalomed, kneeboarded and most anything else you can put on water and pull behind a boat and I would put the falls I've had learning to wakeboarding above all the others. I've taken some bad ones barefooting but usually it involves a tuck and rolll or a smack on the water. The bad wakeboarding falls I've taken have involved major head aches for days and enough water through my eyeballs to think I'd swallowed the river.....

I will say this while I'm not a fan of wakeboarding I'm also trying to learn in it in my 30's, while I learned most everything else when I was under 10 and that is an entirely different learning curve....

92 190 PS
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Double posts twice in two days...This site is SLOW.

kev88
12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the input!!

MMCCAR12
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Im 56 and been wake bording for 6 years. Ride a Hyperlite Parks board with Transit bindings. I ride all the time with guys in their 50,s and we dont think were old. These guys are better than most young guys out there. Got my first concussion last Sept. at Lake San Antionio in Calif.

Cant wait for March when the water rises at the river for us.

After that last bad fall I may get a helmet.

damaged442
12-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I tried getting my father up on a wakeboard a few years ago, he was 57 at the time. He popped up like he'd been doing it his whole life, then immediately let go of the rope. When I turned around to get him, he had already kicked the board off and was slowly heading back to shore. I had no idea what he was doing, but it turned out he pulled his groin. The man turned shades of purple I never thought possible. Note to self: There are advantages to flexibility. Ask him, he'll verify that wakeboarding can be painful.

mccobmd
12-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I skied for 30 years, have been wakeboarding for 4. I don't get big air, I ride side to side and am working on riding switch. I don't wear a helment and observe the 2 cardianal rules of people who can't afford to see if their disability insurance will really pay for everything 1) if you think you can't save it let go, it's easy to get up again 2) when you know you're going to fall tuck forward tuck your head. I rode the first summer in sandals which don't allow you to do any tricks but also don't allow you to injure yourself when you fall. Having cracked ribs twice at 36mph and blown out a knee with one of those I'll take the wakeboard falls.

lanier92prostar
12-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I slalomed for 20 years before I took up wakeboading. The learning curve is quite quick if you have someone who can instuct on the basics. I went back to slaloming after a knee surgery from wakeboarding, but it was a freak accident, I highly recommend good binding, you either want both feet to come out or neither. I would wakeboard more, but it hurts the knee to land when you go big. Best of luck riding, there is no better thrill than to learn something new. My 8 year old is starting to get interested in wakeboarding, so it is definitely something the whole family can do.

rick s.
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
plus when you are learning to wakeboard you are not going at 22 - 24 mph, more like 16 to 18. When I pull a newbie I always watch them closely in the mirror and adjust speed up or down depending on how they are doing. Going too slow will cause the board to bog down and it takes more muscle.

The boat also makes a difference. My x45 has a pretty intimidating wake for a learner, so I would recommend learning behind something smaller.

You will take a face plant once or twice, but you will learn really quickly how to prevent the dreaded double eyelid peeler.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
i am 53 and in pretty good shape. i ride a hyperlite roam and i pretty much just slide around on the water and switch back and forth and do surface 360's. also, i can go wake to wake on my other boards but the roam is the board for an older person. i ride at 21 1/2 mph. i love to load up the rope and jump from inside the wake going out. it is an easy, low-to-the-water jump but you still get to get a few feet of air. i also like to add a 180 onto that little jump. i never hardly fall anymore on the roam. and after i get in riding shape i don't even get sore anymore, ofcourse, i do ride year round. i wouldn't give up wakeboarding for any other interst i have. like someone else said, however, leave the alcohol out of the equation. it's plenty enough fun without adding unnecessary liability to the equation. always encourage whomever is riding behind your boat to stay one notch BELOW their maximum ability level. you don't want to encourage anyone to hurt themselves. if they are pro-wannabees then let them do it with someone else. keep it recreational and non-competitive and you will have a fun-filled riding season. it is the most fun thing i have ever done and i am willing to accept the inherent risks but they are small if you use common sense and start slow and work your way up. find a good coach who will teach you proper basics and encourage you to use common sense and work your way up slowly. now, go get started and in six months report back how you have become addicted. hotty toddy.

Davo
12-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Dang - he's over the tree tops....musta been a huge air.

Just crop the water out, Josh, or get a good angle up from the tube and you can win this "challenge". ;) :rolleyes:

...for the original poster - you gotta try it! You'll hear all the horror stories on these threads, but like others said; don't ride out of your comfort zone and you'll be fine. It's the same for any water sport....you can make them all painful real quick if you get the nerve to try something risky or "go big"....regardless of age or skill level.

Good post, Ole Miss Rebels.

JoshBuzz
12-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Just crop the water out, Josh, or get a good angle up from the tube and you can win this "challenge". ;) :rolleyes:

...for the original poster - you gotta try it! You'll hear all the horror stories on these threads, but like others said; don't ride out of your comfort zone and you'll be fine. It's the same for any water sport....you can make them all painful real quick if you get the nerve to try something risky or "go big"....regardless of age or skill level.

Good post, Ole Miss Rebels.

It isn't worth it!! I'm an Aggie, He's a tea sipper, no one ever wins!!

:D

I just let this one slide, and I'll show Doug what going big is when I get back to east TX this summer!!

kev88
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Well Santa did his research and deliverd a Hyperlite Motive 134 on Christmas morning. After consulting Rambo Marine, "Santa" tells me this is a good board to learn with. Also recieved "The Book" DVD which I understand is helpful...

Once I drop the boat in this spring I'll post some progress updates.

Thanks again for the input!!

Maristar210
12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Well Santa did his research and deliverd a Hyperlite Motive 134 on Christmas morning. After consulting Rambo Marine, "Santa" tells me this is a good board to learn with. Also recieved "The Book" DVD which I understand is helpful...

Once I drop the boat in this spring I'll post some progress updates.

Thanks again for the input!!

Perfect board to learn on if you were to ask me. the book DVD is great as well. Watch it several times and then after you go out and get up watch it again for the full effect.

Remember nice and slow out of the hole, let the boat do the work, you can get up and side slide to get comfortable.

Your up? your addicted !!! :D

east tx skier
12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
It isn't worth it!! I'm an Aggie, He's a tea sipper, no one ever wins!!

I just let this one slide, and I'll show Doug what going big is when I get back to east TX this summer!!

That's got nothing to do with it, but thanks for lettin' it slide. 8p At this point, any pictures you've got, cropped, photoshopped, whatever, let's see 'em. It's to cold for my old a$$ to be on the water and the slalom machine is put up, so any pictures will do.

east tx skier
12-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Just crop the water out, Josh, or get a good angle up from the tube and you can win this "challenge". :rolleyes:

Hey, Davo, do I sense skepticism? If so, I understand that it's the internet and things get cropped or photoshopped to make them appear to be something they're not. I wish I could say I put that much thought into it. I just wanted Josh to pony up with the big air pictures so us old guys could see what it's all about. ;) I don't get out with the wakeboarders much, so I only have a few shots.

But for whatever it's worth, here's the frame grab from the video we shot that day. It's shot from roughly the same angle and time (video is probably a hair later in time) as that picture, except the guy that took it the video was sitting to my right and just a little more aft in the boat than I was. The quality obviously stinks, but we'd just come through for the double up and it was a bit choppy (not to mention that frame grabs in SD just aren't going to be great). Hopefully this will offer a bit better perspective.

He looks like he's got some room between him and the water to me. But then again, as a slalom skier, what do I know.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/VideoGrabofDoubleUpjpeg.png

JoshBuzz
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
haha, no doubt he got some massive air!! I wasn't questioning that!! I'll give someone else the camera next time we head out, it seems everyone else that takes pictures with us is more interested in pictures in the boat than rider pictures!!

Oh well!!

east tx skier
12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
It's always a pain to lug cameras around, but we're always happy we did.

Double Up Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3367104466004214646&hl=en)

Jerseydave
12-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Here's a pic from this years' NJ Wakefest (not me riding, a friend from Mass.)

east tx skier
12-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Nice shot!