PDA

View Full Version : Teakguard picture

kpickett
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I got my Teakguard in the mail this week, so I spent a couple days refinishing my platform. The previous owner had varnished it, and I cursed him for it over and over while I sanded the whole thing. It was a bear to get all that old varnish off, especially between the slats. Good thing for the Dremel! I belt sanded, Dremeled, block sanded, and bronze wooled the whole thing. Then I did the Teakguard cleaner and applied four coats. I think it looks good. It's a slightly different color than plain teak oil, but the surface is not oily at all - good for the ski bottoms! You're only supposed to have to use this stuff once a year. I'll let you all know how it holds up. Here's a picture:

Kyle

kpickett
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
It's not a great picture, but here's the before shot. You can see the chipping varnish.

Footin
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Looks great!

ski_king
03-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Looks great!!
Let us know how it holds up?
Does it look like a hard finish or is it soaked into the teak?

dmac
03-18-2005, 04:38 PM
That really does look good, Kyle. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would varnish a teak platform. Not thinkin' I guess. Looking forward to the endurance report.

kpickett
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Does it look like a hard finish or is it soaked into the teak?

It soaks right into the teak. It looks just like teak oil, but it's a water-based product. They claim it's a polymer that chemically bonds to the teak. It is not oily at all - just feels like good clean teak.

east tx skier
03-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Looks awesome, Kyle. Did you order it from teak guard? I've lost the link. I may have to go that route this year. I understand that using the cleaning solution and brass wool is a must.

prostar205
03-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Kyle -

Very nice job. I know how hard that is since I did it every year on my PS205. I know have a fiberglass swimstep that requires no maintenance. I still like the look of the teak, but this boat came with the fiberglass step. Nothing I could do.

I noticed you have a "Doug's Boats" sticker on the transome. Did you buy your boat from Doug's Inboard Boats in Woodinville, WA. That is in my neck of the woods.

RackAtak
03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Link to Teakguard
http://www.allguardproducts.com/

kpickett
03-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I hate to say it, but when you call Teakguard, ask for the Malibu Boat Owners discount - they'll give it to you. Maybe we could let them know that MC owners use it too, and they'll give us a discount.

Prostar205 - I bought the boat from a guy in Bothell, but I live in N. California. That was a bit of a trip, towing from Seattle to Redding.

G-man
03-18-2005, 05:33 PM
looks real good

prostar205
03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I live in Bothell but have never seen a reverse colored '94 PS190 on Lake Washington.

MarkP
03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
I hate to say it, but when you call Teakguard, ask for the Malibu Boat Owners discount - they'll give it to you. Maybe we could let them know that MC owners use it too, and they'll give us a discount.

Prostar205 - I bought the boat from a guy in Bothell, but I live in N. California. That was a bit of a trip, towing from Seattle to Redding.Looks great for having bu oil on it.;) . Cant wait to see some more shots in your member galleries. Nice looking boat:headbang:

toothawk
03-18-2005, 11:24 PM
just bought a new (to me) x-10 and would like to shine up the platform. should I just use some teak oil and rub it on or is there more of a process to get a nice looking platform again. It's not in bad shape, would just like it looking new again.... thanks

kpickett
03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
just bought a new (to me) x-10 and would like to shine up the platform. should I just use some teak oil and rub it on or is there more of a process to get a nice looking platform again. It's not in bad shape, would just like it looking new again.... thanks

They have good instructions for cleaning and oiling on the teakguard website.

http://www.allguardproducts.com/

dwe
03-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I used teakguard with about 4 months left of last season. It worked well. I think I touched it up once in a few spots from ski/board wear. And, the boat is stored outside. I've never used teak oil before, but this stuff seems the way to go from what I've read about teak oil.

Saul
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone! Just want to share with you this picture of my totally recovered 1992 prostar 190.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Have a nice season! :)

mitch
07-28-2005, 03:32 PM
After 2 months, I must say I'm not at all impressed w/ Teakguard. Skis and boards have scratched it up bad. Got the kit that had everything in it and followed the instructions to a T and it did look awesome for a while. Just does not hold up like I had hoped. Can't wait to get the rest of it off, so I can go back to oil next year. :( I might be the exception as the boat is used daily. Maybe if it;s once a week and you touch up etc. it'd be OK, but for me the product bites.

André
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
C'mon Mitch,tell us how you really feel about this product...

dog paw
07-28-2005, 03:48 PM
No pics? Seen this on other threads. Everyone else is going OOOHHH AAAHHH and I see nothing :cry:

BrianM
07-28-2005, 04:20 PM
No pics? Seen this on other threads. Everyone else is going OOOHHH AAAHHH and I see nothing :cry:

Same here. :confused:

Dan K
07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
TTAdmin mistakenly removed all the pictures on the board a while ago. :(

kpickett
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
After 2 months, I must say I'm not at all impressed w/ Teakguard. Skis and boards have scratched it up bad. Got the kit that had everything in it and followed the instructions to a T and it did look awesome for a while. Just does not hold up like I had hoped. Can't wait to get the rest of it off, so I can go back to oil next year. :( I might be the exception as the boat is used daily. Maybe if it;s once a week and you touch up etc. it'd be OK, but for me the product bites.

After several months, I'm having it wear off, too. The skis do seem to scuff it off. I'm going to rub it with the brass wool again and reapply and see how it does for the rest of the season. I'll post pics next week when I get back to town.

On the big plus side - it looks fantastic when it's fresh, holds up a lot better than teak oil, and it doesn't leave any oily residue on the ski. It just doesn't seem to last as long as they say.

gene dobies
07-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Looks great!
I don't see any picture

sizzler
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
pics got erased a few weeks ago during TMC spring clean

mitch
07-29-2005, 04:04 PM
After several months, I'm having it wear off, too. The skis do seem to scuff it off. I'm going to rub it with the brass wool again and reapply and see how it does for the rest of the season. I'll post pics next week when I get back to town.

On the big plus side - it looks fantastic when it's fresh, holds up a lot better than teak oil, and it doesn't leave any oily residue on the ski. It just doesn't seem to last as long as they say.

Agreed! I really liked the way it looks right after it was done.

BIGBADBLUE
08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Never again will I use Teakguard. Looks nice in the garage but man teak oil does not chip and scratch like this stuff does. I am sticking to the old teak oil. Pain in the behind but still looks better than the glass ones.

mitch
10-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Never again will I use Teakguard. Looks nice in the garage but man teak oil does not chip and scratch like this stuff does. I am sticking to the old teak oil. Pain in the behind but still looks better than the glass ones.

Just want to make sure this thread rises to the top from time to time. This product bites!

Leroy
11-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Why isn't teak oil sold in a spray bottle?

88 PS190
11-18-2005, 06:00 AM
i'd think it'd end up looking spotty. Unless you had a deck sprayer, w/ a really fine mist.

Plus it gets all gummy, so the bottle would be ~one time use.

dwe
11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Having never used teak oil, I tried the teakguard when I got the '95 190. I thought it worked well. When I got the 197, I tried using teak oil, and I think it does a much better job. It's easier to touch up, easier to apply, looks better.

Leroy
11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
I was just lamenting over the fact I pour from the bottle and have a puddle I smear around. Is there a better way?

i'd think it'd end up looking spotty. Unless you had a deck sprayer, w/ a really fine mist.

Plus it gets all gummy, so the bottle would be ~one time use.

zorro
11-21-2005, 02:45 AM
I used Teak Guard for the first time last month, after having used teak oil for long time. I surely agree that it looks fantastic when applied, but it does not last since scratches made by the fins of wakeboards or skis damage the appearance and if one wants to get the teak back to its previous condition the only solution is to apply Teak Guard again. In other words maintenance is worse as far as labor is concerned than with the old teak oil.
I will never use it again. Try instead Starbright, really good product. I will use it in the future.

H20skeefreek
11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Leroy,

I always apply mine with a spray bottle, and 9/10 times that I sell teak oil, I sell it with a spray bottle. (one for the cleaner/brightener, one for the oil) Only put what you need in the bottle, then clean it out when you are done, and you can reuse the bottle, but if you fill it and leave it, you'll only get a few uses out of the bottle.