PDA

View Full Version : Wireless trouble.....Suggestions?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I bought a NETGEAR WGT624 a couple months ago. (Maybe 3) Now it freaks out on me.
There is 8 "lights" on the front with "symbols" (Power, check mark, wireless, connection, 1, 2, 3, 4) Everything seems to work normal, then all the lights blink once and shut down (Disconnecting everything) then it starts back up again and looks normal and works normal. A few minutes later it does it again. Over and over. This creates havoc on the laptop and pissssss me off to no end.

Any suggestions other than my thoughts of throwing it away and going back to wired?:confused:

bigmac
12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Should be a reset button somewhere. Do a hard reset before pitching it, but if that doesn't fix it, it's likely toast.

TX.X-30 fan
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I bought a NETGEAR WGT624 a couple months ago. (Maybe 3) Now it freaks out on me.
There is 8 "lights" on the front with "symbols" (Power, check mark, wireless, connection, 1, 2, 3, 4) Everything seems to work normal, then all the lights blink once and shut down (Disconnecting everything) then it starts back up again and looks normal and works normal. A few minutes later it does it again. Over and over. This creates havoc on the laptop and pissssss me off to no end.

Any suggestions other than my thoughts of throwing it away and going back to wired?:confused:

I have the netgear n the first unit just went bad after a few months. They were good and sent me a new one. Good luck.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Is there a more reliable brand? (if I convince myself to try it again)

Leroy
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I think they are all about the same (Netgear, Dlink, Linksys.....). If you can get a return like Tx.X30 did that is great. The next one will probably last a long time regardless of brand.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
The next one will probably last a long time regardless of brand.
That's the same thing I keep telling myself about the computers.....;)

Chicago190
12-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Might need to update the firmware. Go to this page and click on the version you have and see if there is any help for you there.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624.asp

Workin' 4 Toys
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Interesting.... Perhaps a firewall conflict.:confused:
I went through those links. Did what it suggested. With the exception of starting up the "main" computer..... Guess what...It works. (for now:confused: )

Now how do I find out what the conflicting firewall setting is? And why would it shut down the router? And why would it let it restart over and over????

Footin
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
My Linksys gives me problems sometimes, I unplug it over night them reset the modem and repower in order (modem, router, computer) and all is good for a few months.

Leroy
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
And what happens?

That's the same thing I keep telling myself about the computers.....;)

bigmac
12-10-2007, 11:41 PM
This isn't an uncommon problem (if that's what the problem actually is). The router thinks it knows what the incoming IP address is. The ISP changes the user's IP, now the modem and the router are working off different IP addresses. The solution is to unplug both router and modem for about 10 seconds. Repower the modem, and when the "ready" light is on and not blinking, repower the router. The router now reads the correct incoming IP. It can happen on DHCP cable modems especially. The modem can lose its DHCP lease. Usually, there's a setting to extend the lease time in the router. May have to shut off the computer too and restart if you're using a software firewall in addition to the router's built-in firewall (usually a software firewall is unnecessary if you're using a router).

Happened with my LinkSys WRT54G all the time. I finally pitched it and got a better one - hasn't happened since.

east tx skier
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
As for brand, we've had very good luck with our Belkin router. I've dealt with two linksys routers, both of which were less than trouble free.

milkmania
12-11-2007, 12:20 AM
and on another note....
my Linksys WRT54G runs flawlessly for months at a time

using
Firmware Version : v4.70.8, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor14

andrewtimko
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Linksys WRT54g by far is the way to go for a consumer grade router/ap combo. Not to mention they are owned by Cisco.

AirJunky
12-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Linksys is a far cry from anything Cisco has made. Literally nothing is the same between the two.

14 yr network admin here, and I've used a ton of different wireless equipment. Almost all of it will run into issues from time to time, even Cisco. The last two houses I've owned, I have taken the time to wire both homes for CAT5. My home network consists of 2 workstations, 1 server, 2 laptops, VOIP with 4 phone lines & 4 phones, 2 DVRs, an MP3 appliance & a 500 GB storage drive. Wireless is the easy way to do it in the short term. But if you want to do it right so it's fast & reliable, wire it.

bigmac
12-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Linksys is a far cry from anything Cisco has made. Literally nothing is the same between the two.

14 yr network admin here, and I've used a ton of different wireless equipment. Almost all of it will run into issues from time to time, even Cisco. The last two houses I've owned, I have taken the time to wire both homes for CAT5. My home network consists of 2 workstations, 1 server, 2 laptops, VOIP with 4 phone lines & 4 phones, 2 DVRs, an MP3 appliance & a 500 GB storage drive. Wireless is the easy way to do it in the short term. But if you want to do it right so it's fast & reliable, wire it.Agree completely. Wired is superior for reliability, and Linsksys does not = Cisco, at least based on my experience with the 4 or 5 Linksys wireless routers I've had over the years..

D-Link seems to get better reviews on the various computer forums. Over the last 6 months, I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme on my home mixed Mac/PC network and it has been excellent for reliability, range, and security.

OhioProstar
12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
I work from home and use wireless for hours at a time. It is critical for me to not be re-booting the router every hour or even day. My company uses online demos as its lifeblood. I had a Netgear and it never worked correctly. It would flake out every few hours. Bought a D-Link n-range unit and it has not been rebooted since the summer when I installed it.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=565

Leroy
12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I have always used Dlink. Normally go over a year without a boot and 4 wireless devices connected.

I have been in most of the factories and met the design teams when we outsourced our cable modem and DSL modems. For financial reasons we picked other guys, but I always thought the engineering and quality was best at Dlink. But they all have that Chinese mentality.

Maristar210
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
My Linksys gives me problems sometimes, I unplug it over night them reset the modem and repower in order (modem, router, computer) and all is good for a few months.

I do the same thing about once a month. Five laptops in our house and the only time I can get everyone together is when they are complaining "why is the internet not working" well not really but it feels that way sometimes.....

cbryan70
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
thats because they are all eating dinner as a fam and you are sitting on TT playing

andrewtimko
12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I wasn't saying that cisco = linksys in the least. I said Cisco owns Linksys. I have used all of the consumer grade brands in the past, and I have personally found Linksys to be the most reliable in my experience. Not to mention a standarized gui makes phone support easier for supporting an over-the-phone setup for friends or family.

I am running an ASA 5505 and a Aironet 1131AG for wireless at home. Have never had to reboot either.

home5505 up 236 days 19 hours

bigmac
12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I agree that the Linksys browser interface is very well done, but my experience with their hardware is substantially different than yours.

This Airport Extreme I'm currently is noticeably faster, and rock stable. It costs $179, so it ain't cheap, however, even though it does use 802.11n and an aux USB port for a network hard drive. I also have an Airport Express that I take on the road for wireless connection to ethernet in hotel rooms, and usable as a range extender node at home as well as Airtunes (which I don't use much - easier to just dock the iPod to the stereo).

stuartmcnair
12-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I only use Linksys for wireless. The one in my house has been up for about 14 months without a problem. I put them in several offices but mainly as WAP's. As far as routers are concerned I deal in a slightly higher end product with SonicWall but customers don't want to pay for the SW wireless equipment.

I will second several opinions on here as to all of the routers pretty much being the same (except the AirPort - built a little better than the rest). I use Linksys for everything so I can support them easier. Nothing other than that. As far as reliability it is a total crapshoot. You either get lucky with one or you don't.

As far as my house goes, it is hardwired so I only use wireless on the laptops and TIVO. We have two PC's and a third PC build / repair setup. A server, a NAS device, a TIVO DVR and three laptops. Linksys 16 port switch and a Linksys router. Pretty stable setup for me.

I have two Netgear routers sitting in boxes at the house that I replaced with Linksys. I know one of them still works fine so if you need one let me know.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
It's fairly obvious I asked the right question.....But at the wrong time...:o

phecksel
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Linksys has produced good product and they have produced crap products. WRT54G v1.1 - v4 is good. v5+ is absolute junk. WRT54GL is the same as v4, but at increased cost. Buffalo wireless routers seem to do very well. I run a WRT54GL with DD-wrt after market firmware.