PDA

View Full Version : Class A Motorhome Help Needed

T Scott
12-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Class A Motorhome for personal use by my family. I am relatively inexperienced with motorhomes so I want to pick your brains before making this type of purchase.

Couple of questions for the guru's.....

My budget is $30,000 to $40,000.....Am I better to buy a newer gas powered or a slightly older diesel pusher?

What brands are considered good? (Hate to end up with the "Moomba" of motorhomes) :D

What features have you found to be most useful/beneficial?

How easy is it to launch the Boat with one of these beasts?

I'd love to hear any other general feedback on the topic.

Thanks!

Tom

lanier92prostar
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
With what you are willing to spend the Diesel pusher is going to have to be small or very used. What type of travel are you planning on doing? That will make a difference in what you want to look at. The Fleetwood and Coachman brands are pretty good entry level. It is going to be difficult to launch a boat with a large motorhome, but I have seen it done before. We do not have a motorhome, but my parents are on their 3rd one. PM me with any questions and I will be glad to help you.

bobbyB
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I've been on the hunt for a simular style of motorhome over the last couple of months; however my budget is a bit less. Here's some of the things I've found out.

Class A vs: Class C

Class A pros: Better visibility out front while camping, Driving seats can be turned around and used as seating in the motorhome, others can add........

Class A cons: Bed over driving area has limited weight capacity, not as familiar to drive, .......

Class C pros: More familiar to drive (expecially if your better half plans on driving), Bed over driving area can handle 2 adults, ....

Class C cons: Crummy visibility out the front while camping, .....

Things that others recommended I look for:
1- If towing a boat get nothing less than a 454 sized motor, or better yet get a diesel.
2- Bedroom in the back seems to be the most popular
3- Try to find one that is layed out so that the person in the Kitchen doesn't have to stand in the hallway. My sis said that it has become a hastle with others having to squeeze by to use the bathroom or change in the back bedroom.
4- Check at the bottom corners of all windows/openings for water damage.
5- .......

I don't have any info on the better brands to buy yet. Maybe others will chime in with more to add to this post.

B

T Scott
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the great input. I'd be interested in additional viewpoints as well.

Tom

Ric
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
tscott, I breifly looked into these and a new decent class c was 70k, diesels and deisel class a's went up from there..

I dont know much about the used market, but I'd think with a budget of 20-30k, you are going to have to do some shopping.

the 460 gas ford class c I rented did the job and was not bad on launching the boat. I have no experience with towing with a class a.

I think those class a's are so cool, but I just cannot justify the dollars.

T Scott
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
tscott, I breifly looked into these and a new decent class c was 70k, diesels and deisel class a's went up from there..

I dont know much about the used market, but I'd think with a budget of 20-30k, you are going to have to do some shopping.

the 460 gas ford class c I rented did the job and was not bad on launching the boat. I have no experience with towing with a class a.

I think those class a's are so cool, but I just cannot justify the dollars.

Actually my budget is a little more....I am looking on spending up to $40,000. I am fortunate as I have my dealers license and have access to many motorhomes that come through the auctions. I have seen some great deals come through on the wholesale side. Ideally, I'd like to buy one now while gas prices a re a bit high and RV prices are consequentially low. My plan is to buy it at auction and use it for 6-8 months and then sell it for close to what I bought it for. (wholesale to retail) If I take a loss, well, that is just the price of fun! If I enjoy it, I'll just get in the flip habit of buying and selling every 6 months or so.

Jerseydave
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
T Scott,

I've had 2 Class C's, older one had a Ford 460, newer had a Ford V-10.
If you go with gas, the GM 8.1 liter or the Ford V-10 should pull your boat fine, depending on size of motorhome. Don't go larger than 30 feet, or you won't want to tow or launch your boat with it.

How many kids do you have? Sometimes the class C has a better layout for families. Whatever you go with, get at least one slideout, makes the interior much larger.

In your price range, a newer class A may be hard to obtain. Class C's are a little cheaper. Since you're in Florida, you have the best choice of used units. Many seniors buy them, only to find out they can't handle driving that large of a vehicle. Shop at all your local RV stores. You can also go on here:

www.rv.net
www.rvtraderonline.com

Sodar
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
In my opinion, the only thing in the world that depreciates quicker than a boat is an RV. The used market is incredible and since they are luxury items, they tend to go first in a "fire sale." With a 30,000 to $40,000 budget, a newer 30' Class C with a diesel is a definite possibilty. If you have your heart set on a Class A, you can definitely find good deals out there.

These guys seem to really know there stuff and this thread is only a few weeks old: http://hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171415&highlight=moho

T Scott
12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
This is all great advice....thanks for the quick replies. I certainly won't be buying anything that is very new due to the major depriceation everyone is speaking about. There seem to be lots of 10-12 year old diesel pushers out there that can be had easily in my price range. Some of these have only 30,000 to 40,000 miles on them to boot! I'd be happy to get an older one, have it fully detailed/cleaned and just start using it.

rick s.
12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I was told by a mechanic that worked on RV's that RV = Ruined Vacation. So many are used less than 5K per year, so they sit for most of the time with deferred maintenence...

But saying that we've rented a couple of times and had great fun. Last was in May when we rented a 32' class A and pulled the X45 with it. Pulled it fine, the motorhome was also suprisingly good to drive. Used another vehicle to launch the boat tho. I was a bit chicken to do it with the motor home.

Ric
12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
halfway off-topic, I had read that many seniors over the past 5-10 years were buying the huge luxurious class a's on a finance plan that farrrr outlived their actuary.... Anybody hear of this practice? In my opinion, the only thing in the world that depreciates quicker than a boat is an RV. The used market is incredible and since they are luxury items, they tend to go first in a "fire sale." With a 30,000 to $40,000 budget, a newer 30' Class C with a diesel is a definite possibilty. If you have your heart set on a Class A, you can definitely find good deals out there.

These guys seem to really know there stuff and this thread is only a few weeks old: http://hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171415&highlight=moho

stuartmcnair
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
you can also check ebay...

I prefer Allegro but that's mainly because I've met the owners of the company. The Tiffen's are Alabama people.

FrankSchwab
12-11-2007, 12:31 AM
I grew up vacationing in a 20' Class C.

From a kids point of view, one huge advantage of the class C is the fixed bed over the cab. We spent a lot of time splayed out on the bed, head up against the window watching the world go by. Watching out the side or back just wasn't the same.

/frank

T Scott
02-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, I put a deposit on this 1999 35' Georgie Boy. It has a Ford V10 gas engine. The couple i am buying it from have owned it for the last 5 years and have meticulous records. It has a large slide that expands the living area tremendously. Very Clean motorhome. Should be a fun summer! Watch out for the Griswolds!

TMCNo1
02-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, I put a deposit on this 1999 35' Georgie Boy. It has a Ford V10 gas engine. The couple i am buying it from have owned it for the last 5 years and have meticulous records. It has a large slide that expands the living area tremendously. Very Clean motorhome. Should be a fun summer! Watch out for the Griswolds!

That's perfect for a trip to CSM '08! Does it float!

T Scott
02-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Not sure if it floats, but it should pull the 197 easily. I'll have to run CSM 08 past the wife.....there may be a road trip in my future!

sizzler
02-06-2008, 07:12 AM
looks nice tom......you should have fun

chudson
02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Great looking coach, got a the rear view camera?

bobbyB
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Very nice looking ride. Enjoy your trips.

B

lanier92prostar
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice looking class A Tom. You will enjoy using it. We have been RV'ing for the past 8 years and use it frequently. Last year we spent over 60 nights in our 5th wheel. If you get up to the Atlanta area, give me a shout.

Monte
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Good looking rig Tom

shepherd
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
That's perfect for a trip to CSM '08! Does it float!

Just don't try to drive that monster to Mike's house. It will be a long way backing out when it's time to leave!

wakolman
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I pulled into a gas station where one of these big RV's was leaving. The exit was steeper than the entrance. As the RV drove down the driveway and turned onto the street which was not pitched, his rear bumper was dragging to get out of there. The boat he was towing popped off the ball and was sitting back at the gas station! :eek: The point of my post? Careful towing, ya don't want to be that guy!

I wish I had a pic to post.

Ric
02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Just don't try to drive that monster to Mike's house. It will be a long way backing out when it's time to leave! aw what the hell, Mike posted pics recently where he lets just about anybody park in his yard

T Scott
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words as well as the words of advice. We are definitely looking forward to it

Chudson, yes it does have a rear view camera which should make backing it up easier.

LanierProstar-Thanks for the invitation....might just take you up an that!!