PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Trans Fluid

stuartmcnair
12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
finished winterizing / doing some maintenance since this is the first winter I have owned this boat. Transmission fluid came out looking like a mix of hot chocolate and mud. Has me a bit worried as I have always heard of you haven't changed it enough then changing it could be just as bad.

So I need opinions. In the spring after I get the boat back out should I change it every few hours until I can get it to stay nice and clean or just do it on a normal routine?

It only took about ten minutes to change with the pump I have so it wasn't bad at all.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-09-2007, 11:01 PM
yes change it out a few more times...im guessing u have a hurth v drive tranmission..it looks like that because water mixed in with it...most likely you were letting your bilge get to full...mastercraft has a tsb saying that if the bilge gets to full the negative pressure of the transmission will cause it to sucks in water in the bottom output shaft seal...the seal isn't bad but a problem that this causes..one other thing that could cause it but i don't think it is that the tranny cooler could have a hole in it and is gettin water in there but i don;t think it is...check to see if you hull number has a recall on it cause in 2000 and newer they had a new open vent to put on top of the tranny let a air in when there is negative pressure in there ....good luck!

east tx skier
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
89 would've had a BW velvet drive.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
boat in picture is a new 205 hull

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
boat in picture is a newer 205 hull isn't it...sorry for the bad info if its not

TRBenj
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
boat in picture is a newer 205 hull isn't it...sorry for the bad info if its not
The pic in his avatar is a 87-90 Prostar 190.

Do flush the tranny several more times. Run it for a short while between changes to mix the fluid up. Chocolate milkshake = water in the tranny, so you want every last drop out. I wouldnt hesitate to change it 5+ times to be safe.

east tx skier
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
The pic in his avatar is a 87-90 Prostar 190.

Do flush the tranny several more times. Run it for a short while between changes to mix the fluid up. Chocolate milkshake = water in the tranny, so you want every last drop out. I wouldnt hesitate to change it 5+ times to be safe.

Profile says 89 190.

bigmac
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes, water in the tranny fluid. Source could be bilge water leaking in through the seals or a bad transmission cooler. If you don't typically collect a lot of water in the bilge, and if you haven't seen tranny fluid in the bilge, my money would be on the transmission cooler.

TRBenj
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Yes, water in the tranny fluid. Source could be bilge water leaking in through the seals or a bad transmission cooler. If you don't typically collect a lot of water in the bilge, and if you haven't seen tranny fluid in the bilge, my money would be on the transmission cooler.
It sounds like he's owned the boat for a year. I say change it, run it, repeat. If the fluid you remove looks better each time, youre fine. If it looks the same or worse, take a close look at the cooler.

Checking the condition of the fluid should have been done as soon as you bought the boat- theres no telling how much damage was done running it that way all summer. Live and learn, I guess.

TRBenj
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
*double post*

stuartmcnair
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I bought the boat in August. First MC. Didn't know to check it so that's my bad. Either I can get it right or I'll buy a new one. It's only money.

:cool: