PDA

View Full Version : gel coat cracks

sizzler
03-18-2005, 02:27 AM
put the boat into the MC main dealers in nov for gel coat repairs to a "spiders web" craze crack...this was on a 5 month old boat....the dealer thought it may be a stress crack,but this proved untrue when it cracked again on the trailer..the white also was not a true match.....they repaired it again..and it cracked again......they then sent off for a new batch of gelcoat,which would be the correct white...it was sent over in a container with a boat......this ended up in switzerland.....they could not post the gelcoat to england as there is some restrictions on posting chemicals !!! the gel-coat will not be here for another 2 weeks they said.......this was begining to annoy me...

the dealers,to be fair are lovely guys and i find it hard to be horrible with them.....

my season starts properly today(kids,wife etc)..so they have "patched it up" so i can get on the water over easter....they will repair it hopefully after easter......

i asked if they normally do a shared ownership with boats....they looked perplexed.....i explained that they had had my boat for 5mnths and so had i.....

wonder if i'll get half my money back...... :o

east tx skier
03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
This is not the first time this has come up. I seem to remember at least one person getting a new hull as a result.

dmac
03-18-2005, 03:00 PM
To me this is a difficult situation made more so only because you liven in England. I hope this gets corrected for you.

Ric
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
put the boat into the MC main dealers in nov for gel coat repairs to a "spiders web" craze crack...this was on a 5 month old boat....the dealer thought it may be a stress crack,but this proved untrue when it cracked again on the trailer..the white also was not a true match.....they repaired it again..and it cracked again......they then sent off for a new batch of gelcoat,which would be the correct white...it was sent over in a container with a boat......this ended up in switzerland.....they could not post the gelcoat to england as there is some restrictions on posting chemicals !!! the gel-coat will not be here for another 2 weeks they said.......this was begining to annoy me...

the dealers,to be fair are lovely guys and i find it hard to be horrible with them.....

my season starts properly today(kids,wife etc)..so they have "patched it up" so i can get on the water over easter....they will repair it hopefully after easter......

i asked if they normally do a shared ownership with boats....they looked perplexed.....i explained that they had had my boat for 5mnths and so had i.....

wonder if i'll get half my money back...... :o
It sounds like there will be NO simple fix for your situation.
I too know the feeling of "shared ownership", at least you will be skiing this weekend! Let us know the solution.

peason
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
This happened to me on my 2002- 209. I had cracks through out the hull and my dealer told me to bring it in over the winter to get repaired. they sent it out to a local repair shop. I picked it up last spring and the colors did not match - my hull is black and everywhere it was repaired you could see a patch spot that did not match. So this past winter my dealer sent it off to the factory to have a new hull put on, from the rub rail down. I tried to talk them into getting me a new boat, but it didn't work. I think it's great that MC is owning up to the problem, but it has to be cheaper to give me a new boat and sell this one "as is". My whole family,including me loves the boat - I just hope it comes back looking like a new boat and that I don't have any more problems. We'll see in a couple of months.