PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR?

suedv
12-06-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm thinking about buying a new camera and I'm wondering if any of you have a Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR. If so, do you like it? The features exceed what's on my current Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XT

My biggest concern with the higher end digital SLR cameras (Canon, Nikon, etc.) is the size of the grip and the camera weight. I have small hands and my muscles aren't very strong. I have to really stretch my hand to hold them. I wonder about camera shake and just getting tired holding it.

Any thoughts?

bigmac
12-07-2007, 12:03 AM
A 40D weighs almost twice as much as a Rebel XT, and while not quite professional size, it still has a much larger grip with longer reach to controls and menu buttons.

You need to go to a camera store and try one on for size, Sue.

JBaker
12-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I have the Nikon D2X. It is heavy, heavier than anything I used before, but not absurd. I agree with bigmac. Even if you weren't concerned with the size and weight you should spend time with the camera before ponying up the $$$ it takes to get an SLR.

alletric
12-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a 400D and found it to have a bit of weight to it like Mac said but takes awsome pictures and wonderful features. Absolutly no lag. It takes pictures faster than my old T2 35mm. I'm not an expert so it will do more than I have any idea what to do with but I have been very pleased with it.

bigmac
12-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Nikon dSLR ergonomics tend to be more friendly than Canon's, so unless Sue has a lot invested in Canon glass, it might be worthwhile to handle a Nikon D200 or D300, or maybe even a D80. My D2H is kind of a hefty beast, especially with a 70-200 lens on it, but the D200/300 are substantially smaller and lighter.

WakeSeeky
12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm thinking about buying a new camera and I'm wondering if any of you have a Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR. If so, do you like it? The features exceed what's on my current Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XT

My biggest concern with the higher end digital SLR cameras (Canon, Nikon, etc.) is the size of the grip and the camera weight. I have small hands and my muscles aren't very strong. I have to really stretch my hand to hold them. I wonder about camera shake and just getting tired holding it.

Any thoughts?

No, but I wish I did. :D

I have the 20D, I've fondl... er, looked at the 40D in the store and I think they are about the same size. I don't remember noticing a difference, anyway, but the great big pretty LCD screen is kind of distracting. :o

I worried about the same thing, I have small hands too and I wondered if the weight and size would bother me. Turns out I like the 20D. It feels solid to me, without being too heavy and the controls are comfortable to reach. I don't know though, how you figure out if it works for you without using one. If you can, I would at least go play with one in the store.

Can't wait to see your pictures when you get it! ;)

suedv
12-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I have looked at them in stores quite a bit. Basically any camera that is a good step up from my Rebel is bigger and heavier. With some of my health limitations weight is a concern with all the cameras... but I really want a better camera. Iím getting some pictures published and Iíd like to be at a point where that happens more. Better equipment would be very helpful. Itís a real dilemma for me.

I've been thinking I want to stick with Canon just because I already have a few lenses and there are time I'm still going to want to use my Rebel. I get out in wetlands taking pictures of rare plants, animals, and insects (remember my rattlesnake pictures :)). One time I was in a fen taking pictures of Mitchell's satyr butterflies and I sank in muck that went about 4" deeper than my knees. My camera almost bit it with that episode. :o I plan to use my older camera for those kinds of places. Maybe I should re-think this, but it seems that it would be nice to have some equipment that I can use with both cameras.

WakeSeeky
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
You could maybe rent one (http://www.lensrentals.com/item/canon-40d?utm_source=tdp&utm_medium=cpc)? It's a little pricey just to try it out, but I guess cheaper than buying if find out it doesn't work for you. It's definitely bigger and heavier than the Rebel. Would the Rebel XTi be an upgrade worth looking at? Maybe look at the 40D next to a 5D so it seems smaller?;) :D

Congratulations on getting published, that is very cool! :cool: