PDA

View Full Version : Dessicant

wsrobert
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Has anyone used any kind of drying dessicant to keep moisture out of the engine compartment when the boat is stored for winter. I have a full cover, but I'm concerned about condensation on the engine. I live in south Louisiana and we don't have very cold winters, but the humidity is always high. Just looking for anyone's thoughts.

cbryan70
12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
i use a bucket full of charcoal

wsrobert
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
You mean like Kingsford or Matchlight??? Does that really work???

cbryan70
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
thats what i use seems to work fine.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons. (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Drywave_Air_Dryer&r=view&i=71503&aID=)

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/71503_L1.jpg

Bruce
12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons. (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Drywave_Air_Dryer&r=view&i=71503&aID=)

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/71503_L1.jpg

Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.If one doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.Yeh, I have the same boat. The humidity isn't as high here, especially in the winter, but mold is still a problem during storage.
If one of those dryer things doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall - removing moisture as opposed to preventing it from condensing.

Leroy
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "

Bruce
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "

Like Mac said it is about the same as a light bulb. Not real hot you could put your hand on the metal case. I haven't had a problem with heat but I think I will get a second one. Need to figure out if there is any difference in the one I have or the one Mac showed.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Has anyone used any kind of drying dessicant to keep moisture out of the engine compartment when the boat is stored for winter. I have a full cover, but I'm concerned about condensation on the engine. I live in south Louisiana and we don't have very cold winters, but the humidity is always high. Just looking for anyone's thoughts.
I've had success using the bags. You still have to change them when the bag gets full.

H20skeefreek
12-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Like Mac said it is about the same as a light bulb. Not real hot you could put your hand on the metal case. I haven't had a problem with heat but I think I will get a second one. Need to figure out if there is any difference in the one I have or the one Mac showed.
It is EXACTLY the same as the one from West Marine. Trust me.

88 PS190
12-06-2007, 02:30 AM
I think the first step is always to remove any excess moisture that you can, park it somewhere warm and dry with the tarp off and the engine open.

Take any seats, ropes, throw coushions, towels etc. out of the boat, coil/hang and dry these.

Pay particular attention to dry out the bilge, this sometimes requires lifting up floor panels or rocking the boat back and forth to make sure the water isn't hung up behind some plate. Place fans to circulate air to dry everything up.

Then once this is all good you can worry about a dehumidfier.

Charcoal should work, and you can burn it again in the spring, make sure to change it through the winter though. At a certain point all these methods become more saturated and they are less effective.

92 190 PS
12-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I use this stuff and it works wonders. Have used it for two years and as dry as it is in the winter typically a can or two will last all winter. Great stuff and inexpensive. Can be picked up at most big box lumber stores.

http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=176180

92 190 PS
12-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Sorry for the double post....Website is slow this morning...

Bruce
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I use this stuff and it works wonders. Have used it for two years and as dry as it is in the winter typically a can or two will last all winter. Great stuff and inexpensive. Can be picked up at most big box lumber stores.

http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=176180

Went to the web site. I'm confused they say the mildew grows in WARM moist air. The devices we talked about here blows warm air. Confused!

Bruce
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
It is EXACTLY the same as the one from West Marine. Trust me.

I have the one from West Marine and it doesn't look anything like the one from Overtons that Mac showed. (I still trust you)

cbryan70
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
dooes your device take humidity out of the air tho? is it blowing dry heat?

JimN
12-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Air circulation is the best way to minimize problems. Prop the motor box open a bit, make sure the cover is vented and avoid wide temperature variations. repeatedly going from cold to warm is a great way to have condensation problems.

Damp-Rid is a good one. Any RV/camper dealer and many boat dealers will have what you need. If you only want Damp-Rid, Home Depot and most other big box stores sell that in larger containers.

Bruce
12-06-2007, 12:08 PM

It has a heat source and a blower so I would say dry heat.

Bruce
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Air circulation is the best way to minimize problems. Prop the motor box open a bit, make sure the cover is vented and avoid wide temperature variations. repeatedly going from cold to warm is a great way to have condensation problems.

Damp-Rid is a good one. Any RV/camper dealer and many boat dealers will have what you need. If you only want Damp-Rid, Home Depot and most other big box stores sell that in larger containers.

Since I am a V drive I assume there is no need to leave that open. Any moisture in that area (Ihaven't seen any) would seem to ne confined to the trunk. The vinyl both back and front are mildewed. Front is probably a little worse. Cover is not vented but it attached to the lift with bungee cords and when the wind blows you can see the cover rise and fall so air should be getting in there. The temp. swings here are tough! Several nights lately it has gotten down to about 30. The high Sat or Sun. is supposed to be 81! Go figure. Guess it would not hurt to try the damp rid. Thanks for info on where to buy.

bigmac
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Mold grows in warm moist surfaces, not in warm moist air. For the surfaces inside the boat to be able to support the growth of mold, water from the air has to condense on those surfaces. For that to happen, the temperature has below the dew point. So the way to keep mold from growing on the inside surfaces is to change the dew point. This can be done by getting rid of water from the air, or raising the temperature, or both. Here in Minnesota winter, where it's dry, a single device blowing a little bit of slightly warmed air around is all that's necessary to accomplish that. In the South, the boat surface temps may need to be even warmer, or there may need to be a lot more dehumidifying, or both. This latter concept can be accomplished with an actual dehumidifier of some kind, whether it be a mechanical unit or a bucket of calcium chloride or silica gel or charcoal. I mentioned adding a second turbo heater blower if one doesn't keep the boat surface temps up high enough. That's what I'd do in Minnesota winter, I might do something different if I lived in Florida (as if that would ever happen;) )