PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trains

tex
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think I have ever posted these here. This is out LGB train that goes around the Christmas tree. It was given to us by Jan's mother after her father died. When he had cancer he was having trouble sleeping so the doctor suggested he find a hobbey that would keep him busy at night. He took up trains and built all kinds of indoor and outdoor tracks. We keep his spirit alive by setting up the train at our place every year!

tex
12-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't know what I'm doing but have figured out how to change tracks so that it goes around the living area.

tex
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
This does score me points with the wife every year!

tex
12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
One last one...My control tower!

chudson
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
We got the LGB Christmas Train set 24-25 years ago when our son was born and have been adding to it slowly each year and now have two pretty full sets plus for both the kids for when they break off and set up house. They are pretty pricey too. I had a Lionel set I got for Christmas as a kid but my brother has it now!! We just set ours up to run around the tree though. I'll post pictures when we set up the tree!!!

ski_king
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Very nice Tex! Be careful though, LGB Track dosn't like to be stepped on.
I have a mixture of LGB, Lionel Large Scale and Bachman.

Nice control tower!

JoshBuzz
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
The trains look awesome Mike!! It's even better that they mean something to the family, and that you still set em up every year!! Very cool! My favorite part's the control tower though!! All the shaker's and the martini glass make me thirsty!! Mom got me the Bombay Sapphire collectors set for my birthday, with a bottle of BS, and a really awesome martini glass!!

:D

lanier92prostar
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Tex,
My parents have that exact train. They have not set it up in a couple of years because of my youngest and our young golden retriever, but I helped them set it up this year. The trains are awesome, I am thinking of getting one also when we have more room.

puck_11
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
That's Awesome!

André
12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Very nice Tex! Be careful though, LGB Track dosn't like to be stepped on.
I have a mixture of LGB, Lionel Large Scale and Bachman.

Nice control tower!
Only you could remember this.Was it LeeC that had an entire collection of those trains?

Nice set up Tex!:)

Slinkyredfoot
12-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Tex, really like your control tower, looks as if you have all of the essentials to create a head on collison, remember the Exxon Valdez?

Christmas and trains go together like peanut butter and jelly, rock and roll, and double breasted suits....:D

One endearing memory of Christmas as a young child includes a larger Lionel layout that I got, complete with milk car, coal feeder car, caboose, and a realistic smoke stack on the engine that would smoke real stuff when you would cram little pills down the stack, so cool for me at age 6. The tranformer to run the thing was about the size of a car battery back then, it was to cool.

Anyway, it was fun to reminisce and remember.....

3event
12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
cool stuff tex!

We've got a bunch of Lionel equipment packed safely away. I wistfully gazed around the house this afternoon, but with a 1yr old, no chance of setting up a train for a few years, at least not anywhere near the Christmas Tree.

When I was a kid, we always had my Dad's Lionel set up around the tree. It's classic Americana!

TX.X-30 fan
12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
One last one...My control tower!

Trains are very cool Tex, I like the control station!!!!!!!!! Can you shake me up one of your specialties?????

PLEASE???? 8p

tex
12-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks...it is a fun, cool tradition to keep alive. We laid low for the first couple of years with John David. We still have to keep him under control at 7! My wife loves the control tower! She has been looking for a way to display my shakers. I have a few! It's a pretty close race between shakers and step-off skis that I've collected !

MIMC
12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Nice set up Tex!

I have two girls (6 and 3), the three year old is completely into Thomas The Train and all types of trains - the six year old sort of likes them. A few years back we bought the "Polar Express" Lionel train set (not the Lionel that was made in MI from years ago, but still decent quality) and it has become a tradition to set the train up after we are done with the tree. Every year we go to the toy store and add a new piece or accessory. After we are done setting it up we watch the movie. Trains and Christmas are a perfect combo and a great tradition.

MIMC

milkmania
12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
way to go Tex, gotta earn those points anywhere you can;)

Our dentist's office has a train that runs through all the rooms, receptionist's area, and lobby.
they've got it set up to go near the ceiling on overhead track

wakolman
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Awesome, I love trains. I have some HO scale stuff still in boxes that I plan on putting a layout together in the future.