PDA

View Full Version : ACT / SAT Prep Courses

phecksel
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Friend recommended them for the oldest (junior). Holy CR@P those classes are expensive! If in fact they raise scores as far as they say, it may pay off in scholarship money, but WOW! Don't ask if I've done the calculation on how much we're expect to support her education, still reeling from that little number.

If in fact there is value to the prep classes, is one more better [sic]?

j2nh
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I looked into it when my daughter was a sophomore. She graduated at the end of her Junior year so I was a little concerned she wouldn't have been exposed to everything she needed for the test.

How does your son/daughter do on standardized tests? If they do well on those the SAT shouldn't be much of a problem and could probably benefit just as much from a regimented time to take practice tests. If they are not particularly good at standardized tests then their may be some value especially if they experience test anxiety. Lots of pressure on kids to perform. Good luck.

Daughter ended up not taking any classes and did just fine (32 ACT).

88 PS190
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I took the class and just zoned out the whole time.

total waste of time in my opinion, because standardized tests are really tests of ability to reason more than knowledge.

If you can't reason, well I don't think a practice course is going to drastically improve scores.

JoshBuzz
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't do it!! The courses are a waste of your money, I know plenty of kids that took the SAT first, and then did the course and took it again, and got the same grade!! If your daughter gets good grades already, then she'll do fine on the standardized tests!! If you're looking to save money, have her go to a community college to get her basics out of the way first! That's what I'm doing now, and what all my friends that are full time at A&M wish they would have done!!

All my classes at Blinn, the community college in college station, cost less than one class at A&M!! I still get the full college experience, but I'm in a smaller class setting, which is helpful, and we're saving a ton of money!! 12 hours in classes this semester cost like $830 where as one, three hour A&M course cost about $1400!!

Tell her not to fret, if she doesn't wanna start at a smaller college bc of what her friends will think, when she has profs that actually care about her grades, and not just her money, and her friends have profs who have no problem failing kids, her friends will be jealous!!

Sodar
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Personally, I believe that everyone is very different. I took the SAT at the end of my Sophmore year did OK. I then took it at the beginning of my junior and did a bit better. Then, I took a private SAT course... not the BS commercialized one. It really helped and bumped my score well into the 90% percentile and I ended up 270 points above the first time I took it. The biggest benefits I saw were the test taking methods/techniques they taught. Either way, I found a benefit from it.

JoshBuzz
12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I agree with Sodar, if you have to take one, take the private one. the test taking techniques will help with stuff outside the SAT/ACT test itself!!

cbryan70
12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
im going to say waste of time. ALl they do is refresh your memory basically. The test really is what you know i didnt take the sat but i took the act. didnt do great but did above average. The class really didnt do much

88 PS190
12-03-2007, 11:37 PM
well the thing to know.

does it penalize incorrect answers? or are they just worth zero.

at what point with an sat should you guess? when you've eliminated 2 of them? or if you've eliminated 2 and are pretty certain on one?

but c'mon, comfort and being able to reason will do you well.

Best to take them multiple times, but the other standardized tests should give you a good idea of what you'll get.

cbryan70
12-03-2007, 11:39 PM
sat they penalize for wrong answers i beleive so its better to not answer.

JoshBuzz
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I'd have to say don't take it, unless your daughter really feels it will help her, which I'm guessing she won't!!

SAT does penalize for wrong answers, and any test taking tips you want, you can probably get online!!

teeter
12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Just go to a book store and get the kaplan or princeton SAT prep books, those have alot of the same test taking techniques that would be taught in the course, you just have to be diciplined enough to study the vocabulary, math problems etc, otherwise its just another book.

Chicago190
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I used an SAT/ACT computer program with practice tests. I got a 1290 on the SAT and 32 on the ACT.