PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Chase!

TMCNo1
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
When will someone figure out high speed chases kill innocent people?
There is nothing forward of the drivers seats in either car that burnt after the 90 mph head on collision during the chase.
Link to crash scene story,http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=5107972&version=1&locale=EN-US

atlfootr
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
When will someone figure out high speed chases kill innocent people?

NEVER!

And then, the cop get's off from begin the cause of it! :rant:

Sodar
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM
More importantly, when are the cops gunna learn to just stop chasing them. This is a daily occurance here in LA and with the helicopters that we have, why do we keep putting flashing lights in these lunatics rear view mirrors? Procedure needs to be changed to just letting the choppers follow them, let the cops hang back a mile with there lights off and just let it play out. Chasing these guys is a death sentence.

atlfootr
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
In most towns, there comes a point in the chase where if it get's to risky they (cops) are told to call it it off and let the suspect go ...
I guess this isn't one of those towns. :rolleyes:

I can foresee a near future lawsuit against both the police station and it's acting officer who in my book caused the accident. :rant:

bigmac
12-03-2007, 02:10 PM
It' a no-win situation for the cops, IMHO. If they DIDN'T chase down an armed felon or a drunk driver, or a speeder, and someone got hurt, I'm totally confident that they would be criticized for letting it happen.

It's a fine line. Easy to criticize unless you've actually been behind the wheel trying to decide when the chase has become more dangerous than not chasing. It's not as easy as it looks.

Sodar
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
It' a no-win situation for the cops, IMHO. If they DIDN'T chase down an armed felon or a drunk driver, or a speeder, and someone got hurt, I'm totally confident that they would be criticized for letting it happen.

It's a fine line. Easy to criticize unless you've actually been behind the wheel trying to decide when the chase has become more dangerous than not chasing. It's not as easy as it looks.

You do have a good point. There is really no easy solution.

88 PS190
12-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Luckily most people who engage in a high speed chase aren't good drivers and do not have their vehicles ready for it.

Cops however should be prepared, better trained. And well hopefully driving a vehicle with properly inflated tires.

So the best easy solution is for the chase to get mediated rapidly and hopefully before a long chase.

Makes you wonder if the future will have devices mandated that shut down all automobiles in an area in a similar fashion to the way stop lights respond to emergency vehicles. Then either the car will get shut down, or everyone else will be stopped. Not that I like that concept, but it would work.

TMCNo1
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
According to one of the other TV stations, Law Enforcement knew this guy, the car, license #, his name, address and his extensive traffic violation record, yet chose to get involved in a chase rather than just letting him cruise the short distance home and arrest him then. In this case they truely had a couple other viable options, w/o further endangering the public by setting this guy off.

bigmac
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Makes you wonder if the future will have devices mandated that shut down all automobiles in an area in a similar fashion to the way stop lights respond to emergency vehicles. Then either the car will get shut down, or everyone else will be stopped. Not that I like that concept, but it would work. In the future, we'll all have flying cars. I won't want mine to be shut down by some cop while I'm in the air.

bigmac
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
According to one of the other TV stations, Law Enforcement knew this guy, the car, license #, his name, address and his extensive traffic violation record, yet chose to get involved in a chase rather than just letting him cruise the short distance home and arrest him then. In this case they truely had a couple other viable options, w/o further endangering the public by setting this guy off.

I can't imagine why they never thought of that.

jbfootin
12-03-2007, 03:03 PM

I agree. From the sideline it is easy to throw stones, but I would not want that job and respect the life and death decisions they face on a regular basis.

atlfootr
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree.
From the sideline it is easy to throw stones.

I see where this thread's head'n :rolleyes:
It'll go on and on as the "Gun Control" thread, so I guess as long as it's NOT YOUR family members
that may die from a unnessecary high speed chase it's OK, right.

WRONG :noface:

And BEFORE you even ask me, NO they weren't my sisters.
http://www.aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=124

Sodar
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
I was hit by a high speed chase in 2001. I was coming down the freeway,towing the boat (slow lane) and slowed down to go over the non-deployed spike strip. The driver of the car came up from behind me in the fast lane, saw the spike strip, drove into the dirt shoulder, lost control and hit me in the drivers side door/fender/A-pillar, before rolling around the front of the car and down the embankment, off the freeway. I had 7 of my friends in the car and the Highway patrol and LEO's, came up, pulled all of us out of the car and into the center of the freeway, while the officers used the hood of my mom's car as a sheild, with guns drawn, waiting for the guy to get out of the car (I guess he had just robbed his mother at knifepoint).

The car was 1 week old.

http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=319821&postcount=65

ridesdirt
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Well said.

I never get upset over a news story beacause you are basing your thoughts and comments on information from a news station. They are only telling you what they want you to hear. A news station is about ratings, not the complete truth.

jbfootin
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I see where this thread's head'n :rolleyes:
It'll go on and on as the "Gun Control" thread, so I guess as long as it's NOT YOUR family members
that may die from a unnessecary high speed chase it's OK, right.

WRONG :noface:

And BEFORE you even ask me, NO they weren't my sisters.
http://www.aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=124
I am not saying that high speed chases are nessecary or that I wouldn't be mad if someone I love was hurt by one. I am just saying that law enforcement are faced with life and death decisions that I am glad that I do not have to make.

Do they make mistakes? YES!
Are some officers on a power trip? YES!
Are they all bad? NO! Most are just trying to protect the public and doing the best they can.

It is no different than a soldier that is portrayed as evil for using excessive force. It is hard to understand decisions that are made in the heat of a battle, while sitting in your living room.

Just my opinion...nothing more.