PDA

View Full Version : frozen steering

TI Skiier
12-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Checked my 05 X7 today and found my steering froze up.

I put it away in mid September after greasing the steering arm and rudder. No zercs on mine, but I coated all with marine grease and cycled it several times.

Any thoughts?

rkmason
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Has the temp in your area been sub-freezing? If so, I would think it has to be frozen water somewhere in the steering system. You could disconnect the cable at the rudder end and find out whether the rudder or the cable is frozen up.

88 PS190
12-02-2007, 10:22 AM
mason has it right, to diagnose steering bits disconnect them one at a time and figure out where its stuck, so if you disconnect the rudder from the cable and the rudder is frozen in place... shazam. otherwise then you have to check the cable.

Its possible to grease lock a steering cable, but difficult.

Some steering cables are supposed to be maintainence free, if those are anything like maintenence free motorcycle cables, grease can expand the liner.

WTRSK1R
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Checked my 05 X7 today and found my steering froze up.
No zercs on mine, but I coated all with marine grease and cycled it several times.

Any thoughts?

I am pretty sure there are several zircs on the steering back near the rudder. I have an '04 197 and there are 3. You need to pull the floor behind the motor box up and work through a cut out in the gas tank from above to get to all 3.

But I also agree that disconnecting may be the easiest way to identify the area of restriction.