PDA

View Full Version : Dear Harold...

VirtualWi
11-30-2007, 01:27 PM
...or anyone else! Help! Yes, I have read and understand the whole sand-oil-sand-oil-sand-oil...process and I am looking forward to getting this looking much better. However, where do I start?! It appears it's in pretty bad shape - especially the bottom.

Do you recommend me starting with a power sander? Power washer?

Any ideas on how to get in the little groves?

Thanks!!

http://www.tstweb.net/DSC_3312.JPG

http://www.tstweb.net/DSC_3313.JPG

loeweb
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd start by taking the deck off of the mounting brackets. With my deck, I started by scraping off the excess junk in the hard to reach cracks. I used a utility knife and a 5 in 1 painters tool. after that I began sanding as previously described.

cbryan70
11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah i was going to say a flat head screw driver worked for me. I also useda power washer and a electric sander. I didnt have teak cleaner so i used whatever i could find to get the tough spots i think i ended up using some sort of acid that worked well.

TMCNo1
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Check with a local furniture refinishing shops and see if someone in your area does furniture stripping, by dropping it in a tank of chemicals that strips it down to the wood, then start sanding. That's all I can say!

#47of100TeamMC
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
...or anyone else! Help! Yes, I have read and understand the whole sand-oil-sand-oil-sand-oil...process and I am looking forward to getting this looking much better. However, where do I start?! It appears it's in pretty bad shape - especially the bottom.

Do you recommend me starting with a power sander? Power washer?

Any ideas on how to get in the little groves?

Thanks!!

What do you mean? it looks fine... :rolleyes:

chudson
11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
While your at it get your brackets powder coated too!!!

Jim@BAWS
11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Remove the platform Brackets first.
SOAK the platform The PURPLE POWER Stuff at a AUTOPARTS store works wonders. Proceed with a Presssure washer DO NOT put it right down on the wood. Start at 12 inches and get closer. you will be able to see when the platform is getting clean. Use a WIDE WAND head

Proceed with Harolds way of bringing it back to life.

Jim@BAWS

ski_king
11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
If you use a power washer, start with the bottom to get a feel on how far away to keep the wand. Power washers ar not forgiving.

I think if it was mine, I would only use the power washer on the bottom.

TRBenj
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
The bottom looks as though it might have some varnish or polyurethane on it? Tough to tell from the pic. Mine had been "refinished" with something like that by a previous owner and I resorted to disassembling the entire platform (piece by piece) and sanding everything to get the stuff off. I tried a gel stripper from HD first, but that didnt cut it.

I always clean the platform with teak cleaner and a brass brush before refinishing. It gets rid of the black mold/mildew in the grain. Ill be trying TMCNo1's refinishing process (or a variant of it) this winter for the first time. Ive never sanded between coats before. Harold, Im sure its been covered before, but do you give the bottom of the platform the same amount of attention as the top?

stuartmcnair
11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Harold just died a little inside....

VirtualWi
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks everyone! Sounds like my best idea is to take off the brackets first and do some sort of soaking or stripping of the entire platform.

Will the purple power stuff just loosen everything up a bit and I can use my power washer (with care)?

Or...the furniture-stripping method...could I simply buy some of that goop they sell at the stores and slather that on?

I purchased the boat late this year and I love it. Once I heard Harold was either going to die or kill me, I thought I better do something about it now ;)

Or...as #47of100TeamMC says...it looks fine - maybe I'll leave it ;)

TMCNo1
11-30-2007, 06:32 PM
The bottom looks as though it might have some varnish or polyurethane on it? Tough to tell from the pic. Mine had been "refinished" with something like that by a previous owner and I resorted to disassembling the entire platform (piece by piece) and sanding everything to get the stuff off. I tried a gel stripper from HD first, but that didnt cut it.

I always clean the platform with teak cleaner and a brass brush before refinishing. It gets rid of the black mold/mildew in the grain. Ill be trying TMCNo1's refinishing process (or a variant of it) this winter for the first time. Ive never sanded between coats before. Harold, Im sure its been covered before, but do you give the bottom of the platform the same amount of attention as the top?

No, I just keep the wood underneath covered with oil and only have applied it a couple/three times in 18 years. I do wash it good every fall after the season to remove any choke smoke and the like off of it.

TX.X-30 fan
11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
No, I just keep the wood underneath covered with oil and only have had the boat wet a couple/three times in 18 years. I do wash it good every fall after the season.

.................................... :D :D ;)

ski_king
11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
No, I just keep the wood underneath covered with oil and only have applied it a couple/three times in 18 years. I do wash it good every fall after the season to remove any choke smoke and the like off of it.
Ok, I want to see a picture of the bottom of your platform. My guess it looks better than the top of my platform.

mc79
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I haven't refubushed a teak platform but have some experience with furniture. The "dip & strip" process can loosen glue joints so I use the nasty caustic stuff from Lowes, rubber gloves and a lot of rags. For grooves and details, I use a set of "dental" tools from Harbor Freight. 100% pure tung oil on teak makes a beautiful finish.

JohnE
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Check with a local furniture refinishing shops and see if someone in your area does furniture stripping, by dropping it in a tank of chemicals that strips it down to the wood, then start sanding. That's all I can say!

That's abuut as speechless as I've ever seen Harold!:D ;) What do you expect though? A pece of teak in this condition is not in his realm of expertise.8p

Seriously, I would make sure it is as dry as possible and scrape then sand it. You can get it looking as good as new IMO (well almost) with a lot of elbow grease. A power sander will not hurt if you do not gouge it.

Good luck.

Monte
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Seriously, I would make sure it is as dry as possible and scrape then sand it. You can get it looking as good as new IMO (well almost) with a lot of elbow grease. A power sander will not hurt if you do not gouge it.

Good luck.

Good point! But I would wash the Heck out of it with a mild soap first...:D several times... ;) Then proceed:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
That's abuut as speechless as I've ever seen Harold!:D ;) What do you expect though? A pece of teak in this condition is not in his realm of expertise.8p

Good luck.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cut anyone short about the teak refinishing, but getting to the raw wood as it was when it left the factory is the first thing that needs to be done and my reply was just one of many methods to accomplish it. I have refinished platforms for others in a simular condition and what I have suggested when asked has already worked for me, I can't say it will work for anyone else. Then it's a matter of refinishing it in many ways like what is covered in probably 35 or more other threads here, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22
and here,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/f-22.html

This subject is no different than when someone says always call a/your dealer if you have a problem, when to buy, what to buy, where to buy, who's the cheapest, who has it in stock, who can get it to you the fastest, etc. There is most always a majority that has some excuse as to why they haven't, won't or can't, but ultimately the ball is still in their court to make the final decision, it's not mine.

JohnE
11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to cut anyone short about the teak refinishing, but getting to the raw wood as it was when it left the factory is the first thing that needs to be done and my reply was just one of many methods to accomplish it. I have refinished platforms for others in a simular condition and what I have suggested when asked has already worked for me, I can't say it will work for anyone else. Then it's a matter of refinishing it in many ways like what is covered in probably 35 or more other threads here, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22
and here,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/f-22.html

This subject is no different than when someone says always call a/your dealer if you have a problem, when to buy, what to buy, where to buy, who's the cheapest, who has it in stock, who can get it to you the fastest, etc. There is most always a majority has some excuse as to why they haven't, won't or can't, but ultimately the ball is still in their court to make the final decision, it's not mine.

I was not trying to imply that you did not offer enough guidance. Just trying to highlight the fact that this platform is a long way from home.:)

Monte
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I have to admit.... THAT.... COULD BE a very fun yet rewarding project:rolleyes: :cool:

TMCNo1
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
I was not trying to imply that you did not offer enough guidance. Just trying to highlight the fact that this platform is a long way from home.:)

I know John, my reply wasn't aimed at you, but I posted it more as general information, as teak is a redundant subject and there are more than enough threads to get most anyone past the launch sequence and into earth orbit if they really want to know.

VirtualWi
12-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I know John, my reply wasn't aimed at you, but I posted it more as general information, as teak is a redundant subject and there are more than enough threads to get most anyone past the launch sequence and into earth orbit if they really want to know.

Ugh...now I feel stupid if I did not search enough for how to get started on this. I agree that there is a lot of information out here for Teak, and I read most of them and like I said in my original post, I understand the sand/oil/repeat. However, I didn't see anything specifically on how to get THIS much crud off as a first step (without photos at least). So I apologize to everyone if this is too redundant.

ski_king
12-01-2007, 09:04 AM
We welcome your questions. I think with some work, your platform will be as good as new.

Nevermid TMCNo1, I think he is in shock after seeing your photo, which doesn't look a whole lot different then the way mine once looked before I was taught by the master.

TMCNo1
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Ugh...now I feel stupid if I did not search enough for how to get started on this. I agree that there is a lot of information out here for Teak, and I read most of them and like I said in my original post, I understand the sand/oil/repeat. However, I didn't see anything specifically on how to get THIS much crud off as a first step (without photos at least). So I apologize to everyone if this is too redundant.

No problem, you were not wrong in asking the question. There may not be a specific thread covering any suggestions about getting a platform back to new, clean wood before a chosen teak finish treatment, but is has been asked and recommendations made within past threads.
Wait a minute, I got a idea for the suggestion box! Stay tuned!