PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pheasant hunt?

Willski
11-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm sitting in Gregory SD right now. 2 days of pheasant hunting under my belt. Been great. Tons of birds.

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sitting in Gregory SD right now. 2 days of pheasant hunting under my belt. Been great. Tons of birds.

I'm envious.....going to do some game farm hunting this saturday afternoon after a final duck hunt. Hope to find myself in ND or SD next year about this time.

88 PS190
11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
love pheasants. love popping them.

Don't have a dog here :( makes it hard to drive them until there is some snow so they are more visible and less mobile

Willski
11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
It is a blast. There are 15 of us here. Hunting with 2 guides with about 5 dogs. The dogs are really amazing.

whitedog
11-29-2007, 09:25 PM
dbl post ...................

whitedog
11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Good dogs make it fun.
Guiding a hunt in SC WI tomorrow and one at a game farm on Monday. I don't get to hunt much till December but try to make up for the lost time in the late season.

Mikey
11-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I have never had the opportunity but have always wanted to. I hunt just about every other kind of bird.

tommcat
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
i live for pheasant season. i'll take bird hunting over deer season any day.

ggroller
11-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey guys,

What is your weapon of choice for pheasant?

Zach S
11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
20 ga. over / under.

chudson
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I farm in east central Illinois and always look for them during harvest, didn't see very many this year though. They always work away from the combine with every round untill the last through and I sort of herd them down to the end of the field and right at the end they launch, pretty cool sight to see! One field I farm there is a neighbor that has pen raised pheasant that he sells. I think he'll release a few into my field, because sometimes during the evening I can see them running ahead of the combine but the dumb things will not fly, I think because they are pen raised. I feel bad because I know they get tired from running and sometimes I'll catch up and run over them but the pen raised pheasant just will not always jump and fly. One year I had a bunch of pheasant chicks ahead of me and they ran from one end of the field back to the other (almost 1 mile) and by the time they were reaching the other end they could hardly walk and I came up behind them and nudge them with the corn head snout, they would not move at all so I shut the machine down and jumped out and ran up and caught one of the chicks. My son was with me and he couldn't believe I caught it. The chick was exhausted and just gave up, but after a couple of minutes I let it go and he/she ran off like a bat out of hell, it was a pretty cool thing to see.
Good Luck hunting and "BE CAREFUL"!!!

School Skier
11-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Used to when I was a kid.

QBhater
11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I am going to Condon Oregon tonight for my dog's first trip....

I use a Benelli SBE II

Forcast is SNOW

ggroller
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
20 ga. over / under.

Hey Zach, awesome boat.

ShamrockIV
11-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I LOVE my mossberg 835. i have two; thumbhole for turkey and a reg stock for everything else!!

I want to go pheasant hunting. i hear it is a blast!!!( no pun intended)

tommcat
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey guys,

What is your weapon of choice for pheasant?ruger red label O/U 12 gauge

Plymouth Family Guy
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I love to pheasant hunt. Most seasons, I hunt pheasants in four to five different states. I have field bred english springer spaniels. Nothing better than going through a field following a springer looking for pheasants.

I use a Beretta over/under 12 gauge almost all of the time I pheasant hunt. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12 gauge that I use as well. Sometimes that third shot comes in handy.:)

Hey Willski, have you been to Pete's Taxidermy, www.petestaxidermy.com, in Burke yet? It is right down the highway from Gregory. It is worth the trip.

Here's a picture of my current top dog. Chance is 11 1/2 years old and still finds the birds.

JohnnyB
11-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Right now, weapon of choice is a Benelli SBE II. However, I've been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve two-holer as my next purcahse in 12ga.

Mikey
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Right now, weapon of choice is a Benelli SBE II. However, I've been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve two-holer as my next purcahse in 12ga.

You cant go wrong with a SBE II, especially for those cold wet mornings out duck hunting.

Im not sure if you are looking for opinions, but I will give mine anyways based on experience. I will say for a over-under I would stay away from the Silver Reserve. They have an atractive price tag but they are junk. I had one for two weeks and got rid of it. Too many mis-fires due to firing pin problems. That is just one of the many problems that they have. I ended up buying a spanish made Lanber 2087 for the same price as the Silver Reserve after reading some reviews and reccomendations on Shotgunworld.com and I asolutely love it. I have shot about 2000+ rounds with it at the range and a few hundred rounds out in the field while dove hunting without a single problem. And I shoot just as good with it as I do with my buddy's Browning. Alot of people are in disbelief when I tell them I only paid $500 for it brand new. If you want any more info on it, let me know.

88 PS190
11-30-2007, 02:56 PM
20 ga. over / under.

agreed.

I have alot of shotguns around.

But more than not when I go for birds I carry either a ruger red label in 20, or a Baikal IZH 27 20 gauge o/u (russian now remington imports under spartan brand), I also have a 20 sbs.

As far as the super black eagle, that's just too long an action, so to get hte barrel length you want you have to have a super long set up.

Therefore I avoid water foul guns for upland entirely, keep em where they belong (the blind)

JohnnyB
11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
You cant go wrong with a SBE II, especially for those cold wet mornings out duck hunting.

Im not sure if you are looking for opinions, but I will give mine anyways based on experience. I will say for a over-under I would stay away from the Silver Reserve. They have an atractive price tag but they are junk. I had one for two weeks and got rid of it. Too many mis-fires due to firing pin problems. That is just one of the many problems that they have. I ended up buying a spanish made Lanber 2087 for the same price as the Silver Reserve after reading some reviews and reccomendations on Shotgunworld.com and I asolutely love it. I have shot about 2000+ rounds with it at the range and a few hundred rounds out in the field while dove hunting without a single problem. And I shoot just as good with it as I do with my buddy's Browning. Alot of people are in disbelief when I tell them I only paid $500 for it brand new. If you want any more info on it, let me know.

Thanks for the input. I've got a friend who bought one early this fall....waiting for him to cycle a few more boxes of shells through it before I'd buy one. I Google'd Lanber and didn't find a dealer or specs, info, etc. Can you point me to a place where I can get info?

Mikey
11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input. I've got a friend who bought one early this fall....waiting for him to cycle a few more boxes of shells through it before I'd buy one. I Google'd Lanber and didn't find a dealer or specs, info, etc. Can you point me to a place where I can get info?

Here is a link to the Lanber forum at shotgunworld.com. There is alot of information from alot of happy owners.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=112&sid=fa76cef4281c17a66db52479b06583e0

I ordered mine through a company called CDNN http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ . They have a pdf catalog to download to look at their guns. I have ordered several guns from them and they are a first rate company with outstanding customer service. The price has gone up a little since I bought mine but they are still well worth the price IMO.

whitedog
11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
weapons of choice for upland birds
American arms silver O/U 12 ga and Matador (offbrand AYA) SXS 20 ga.

Carry the SXS for grouse and Quail and the O/U for phesant.

Had the young dog out today, 7 hens but no roosters. Warm front moving in and everything was sitting tight.

TNH2oSkier
11-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Just got back from North East South Dakota, got our limit every day, hunted public land, and knocked on doors and got permision from several farmers. My dad and I go out every year, we have a couple of Labs and stay in cheap hotels, its a lot of fun and we enjoy the time togather. The only down side is the 19 hour drive each way. We both shoot browning citori's 20 guage O/U. I take my Benelli Montifeltro also, but usually dont get it out. The 20 is nice and light on those long walks.

Bongo
12-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Where do you have the best view of North Dakota?

Rear view mirror.

Hey, easy now. I lived in the State during the first 21 years of my life and get back at least annually to visit family. The pheasant are so think in SW ND where my in-laws live, that my father-in-law hunts with a fishing net. (Slight exageration.)

Willski
12-01-2007, 01:24 AM
We saw hundreds of birds today....most wild, some planted.

Will post pics later. Having too much fun right now!!

JohnnyB
12-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Went up to the pheasant farm yesterday afternoon and the place was empty so a buddy of mine and I decided to scratch hunt instead of releasing birds......about 8" of snow on the ground with a crust on top....got 8 up and knocked 7 down.

Check out the size of the rooster in the front middle......my lab Murphy in the background is 85lbs to put size in perspective a bit.....

6ballsisall
12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
LOVE Pheasant hunting! My family has about 3000 acres in Nebraska that used to be pretty good back in the 80's and early 90's. It's all coming back now that they changed the farming practices. My uncles and grandpa do a paid hunt in SD every year near Valentine, NE (they stay in Valentine) I haven't been able to make it out there with them but put it on my calendar for next year. Ive got a German Shorthair thats now 11 and too old for a hunt but she used to LOVE it as much as I.

Willski
12-15-2007, 01:04 PM
I just got my bird from our hunt. They shipped them to me. I'm thinking some of the other guys didn't take theirs because they sent me about 20!! I'm sgtill waiting for someone to send me pictures. I'll post a few.