PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Mail Merge..

justinlkgb
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
HOw int the heck do you do a mail merge?
Each time I try to use my excel file, it says it can't open it.
Tried saving it to a "data source" and then it says there is only 1 record.
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

I don't have the computer vocab, so please go easy.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

PS all I am trying to do is print envelopes addressed to my customers for a Xmas card/Holiday card.

stuartmcnair
11-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Use Word to build the merge in. Use Excel as the data source. You need to have all of your mailing data in Excel st up in columns with a header row.

In Word, select Tools | Mail Merge and then select Envelopes. From there, select your data source and build the envelope layout. Follow the merge tool and you should be OK.

justinlkgb
11-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for your response.

That is pretty much what I am doing. I keep having problems getting the file over to the merge. Something about a SQL server, which makes no SENSE at all. Its frusterating!:mad:

Do I have to change the way the excel file is saved?

Thanks again.

Justin

stuartmcnair
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
you shouldn't need to. Make sure you are selecting Open Data Source and change the file type to Excel

dmayer84
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
when you go to select the file at the bottom where it says file type, change it to excel.

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm surfing over my lunch at the office....I've got this set-up on my home computer to do my christmas list mailing labels....next time I'm home and logged on, I can send you what my excel table looks like. However, it should be straight forward that you should be able to select that data source out of Word. I can't remember if the data source (Excel file) is supposed to be opened or closed when you tell Word to get the data from it. Try it both ways.

dmayer84
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
It should be closed.

justinlkgb
11-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all your insight folks. I was able to have a freind of mine who just happen to call help me out. Turns out he changed the file name to sheet 1, and it worked, I personally think he did more than that but I can merge now!!!

Thanks again for your Wisdom. :worthy: :worthy:

Justin