PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?????

Leah
11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
OK, so Monte and I are parents of two still young kids, and I'm beginning to have a problem with all the Christmas buzz.....How much is too much????

Jorski
11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
It's too much when you feel uncomfortable about it.

Everyone faces it and finds their level of comfort. Just don't forget to enjoy the young years with your kids around holidays like this. The magic doesn't last nearly long enough!

jbfootin
11-29-2007, 11:48 AM
too much what? Presents...hype....decorations?

My opinion is your children are only young once, and only believe in Santa for a limited amount of time...my 6 yr old is already asking questions...I think go all out and leave it be as special for them as possible.

Just my opinion. It is all up to what you are comfortable with.

stuartmcnair
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
we try to give the kids each something from Santa that is their big gift. Then we get them something else from us. We try and make it more about family instead of presents. The hardest part is keeping my mother in line with that plan.

Maristar210
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Boat driver lessons for the neighbor?

Plymouth Family Guy
11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
As the parents of 6, 4 and 1 year old daughters, my wife and I try to make Christmas time very special in our house. We don't go overboard on presents, but every child receives a couple gifts from mom and dad and from Santa.

One thing that has worked well for us is to spread out the gift opening. We usually open presents from my side of the family on Christmas Eve and presents from Santa, our immediate family and my in-laws on Christmas morning. If we receive gifts in the mail from out of town relatives, we will open those up before Christmas, say the 23rd or the weekend before Christmas, just to spread things out.

Ryan
11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
It is important to keep a balance to make sure the kids get equal level of presents, that may not mean the same quantity. You've got to get the top things on their list at least. I think it's always wise to start with a budget and a list of everything you're willing to buy. A couple years ago my brother in law and family got so busy with the holidays they forgot to get the big present for one of their sons. It was pretty sad.

I'm in your similar situation with my son. We've spent about the same $ on the older two kids but are still missing two key items from his Santa list, including the only toy he told Santa he wants. He will be a little out of ballance dollar wise, but I want him having the magic of Santa for a while. So, he's getting the extra. My three kids are all under 5, so we have a while before real budgets and limitations come into play. I figure in 3-4 years at the latest there will be iPods and gaming systems on the list.

Leah
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I finally got that last "Top of the List" item in the mail today....won it on ebay....it sure beat going to the toy stores at 5am.....again.....:)

Yellow X9
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Heres my situation this X-mas

My oldest wants an X-2..(nice choice)..he's 10 + other things

My 8yr old is trying to rival the nat'l debt

mcdoon
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
We've always made it a point to not overdo it on the $$$ side of things. The big lesson we always try to teach is to enjoy the giving aspect, even if it's not a big ticket item (new X-2!). OTOH, the kids are gonna get that adrenaline rush no matter how tight a lid you try to keep on it. Heck, I still do! Just ask my wife, I'm the biggest kid in the room!

Mikey
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
It all depends on my financial situation at the time. The past few years I was struggling a little financially and wasnt able to spend as much as I would have liked to. This year I am alot better off than I was in the past and some say I am going overboard with gifts. Im just trying to make up for the past few years.

bcampbe7
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
My son is 15 months old and doesn't quit understand the receiving of presents just yet. He loves the Christmas lights though! :D

This year we may go a little overboard. I would like to stay within a certain dollar amount but it seems that is not going to happen. A 15 month old's toys and such are not nearly as expensive as a 15 year old's though. We buy him a ton of books and DVD's as well so it's not all toys and clothes. :D

Maristar210
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
My son is 15 months old and doesn't quit understand the receiving of presents just yet. He loves the Christmas lights though! :D

This year we may go a little overboard. I would like to stay within a certain dollar amount but it seems that is not going to happen. A 15 month old's toys and such are not nearly as expensive as a 15 year old's though. We buy him a ton of books and DVD's as well so it's not all toys and clothes. :D

Books are a great present for anyone. Sounds like a fun x-mas at your house BC !!!

bcampbe7
11-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Books are a great present for anyone. Sounds like a fun x-mas at your house BC !!!

The little guy loves books! I hope it sticks with him once he gets to school age. :D

mc79
11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
The first question is, "Last year, did they spend more time playing with the toys or the boxes that they came in". 5 years and younger won't remember much. They go more for volume than quality so go with lots of inexpensive presents and have a great time. You can put some away after Xmas and bring them out after they tire of the others. Also, they will count their siblings presents so balance numbers as well as expense. For older kids, it helps to set expectations before hand. If a kid expects you to drop $800 on a new Wii and accessories, let them know that Santa has to provide for a lot of kids and needs to spread the wealth or that it will decrease the variety of other presents.

TMCNo1
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought Santa brought everything on the kids list if they were good!
Don't go and tell me there is NO Santa, cause I know he gets all the money he wants from the Federal Reserve for all the good little boys and girls around the world and shops at Wal-Mart!

Monte
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't go and tell me there is NO Santa, cause I know he gets all the money he wants from the Federal Reserve for all the good little boys and girls around the world and shops at Wal-Mart!

There is NO way santa shops at wal-mart:mad: :D

lanier92prostar
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
We try to stay in the money limit that is set by starting at the top and working our way down. We try to keep the number even by giving little items to equal it out. Our oldest understands that she might not get as many as the little one, but hers are more expensive. We have not had a problem yet as the 3 year old likes to open, she doesn't worry about what the present is. We also don't give each other much, try to make Christmas for the kids.

ShamrockIV
11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
With four kids we usually set around $100 dollars a piece. But their grandparents hook them up!!!!!!!

milkmania
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
we get each of them a couple major presents then a bunch of smaller gifts

a couple years ago they got a $2000.00 go cart and a bunch of little gifts

but this year my son wants an XBox 360 and my daughter wants a Guitar Hero for the XBox 360.... he'll mess with the guitar a little, but she's very musicly inclined.

another thing we deal with is their birthdays are close to Christmas, so when we shop we get everything they're getting for Birthday & Christmas.

another thing that's big with my kids....she's almost 12 and he's 10
is that they make a big deal to buy each other a gift!

this pic is from the second year they had the go-cart.....plus they use it all year

Mikey
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Santa doesnt shop! His elves make the stuff! :mad:

ShamrockIV
11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
hey Mikey isn't that copyright infringement? trademark violation?

Mikey
11-29-2007, 03:35 PM
hey Mikey isn't that copyright infringement? trademark violation?

No silly, the laws dont apply to Santa. Everyone knows that.:rolleyes: :D

Toober Tom
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM
For those of you who answered "We get IT ALL!!!", would you consider adopting me?

For those of you who answered "I'm Scrooge and don't buy any gifts!!!", I pitty you when your kids pick out your retirement home.

chudson
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
For those of you who answered "We get IT ALL!!!", would you consider adopting me?

For those of you who answered "I'm Scrooge and don't buy any gifts!!!", I pitty you when your kids pick out your retirement home.

Good point TT

I work partime at a print shop for a Universty so I had a gal I work with make up print file of "MasterCraft" with some font she found on the net, put it on transfer paper and ironed it onto the back some longsleeved tshirts I got at Sams and put a little slalom skier on the front and made 5 for my family. All the print was done in blue the color of my boat and the turned out pretty good. You would have thought I gavem a pot of gold on Christmas morning, and my kids were 23 & 21 and they were acting like kids after they opened their gift. They put them on and wore them all day long. The transfer didn't cost me anything and the shirts were around $35 - $40 for all five but the reactions from the kids was worth a mint. Thet have faded a little in the wash but now they just look old which is prett cool too!!!

pilot02
12-01-2007, 10:41 AM
There is NO way santa shops at wal-mart:mad: :D

No he doesn't, his elves steal the trailers from the stores before they're unloaded.. :D :D I used to be a mgr for Wallyworld and we had a trailer of TV's stolen one year that were for the day after sale (Blitz as we called it) to the tune of $130k.

TMCNo1
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Santa doesnt shop! His elves make the stuff! :mad:

You may be right, but who was that little guy dressed in red, green and white that I ran over with a cart the other day in Electronics?:rolleyes: 8p :D

OMG, maybe it was a Front Door Greeter on break!