PDA

View Full Version : tell me what you think of my first car

Prostar in Michigain
11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_23_%7CB-5000%7CD-_249_%7CN-N%7CR-75%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-60134&aff=national&paId=250489760&recnum=3&leadExists=true

Tell me what you guys think. Does anyone on this forum own a wrangler or a jeep. Im payin half came up with 2,500$$ in about 7 monthes. So anyone got any tips or anything just showing you guy my new car.

thanks
mark

Maristar210
11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
He does not want to contact him through auto-trader - redflag
He says his phone is not working - red flag
It has 170k mikes - red flag

I would not trust this guy. Sounds like a scam to me. If he asks you to send him a "down payment" he most certainly is a scammer...

BE CAREFUL Mark!!!

Sodar
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
He does not want to contact him through auto-trader - redflag
He says his phone is not working - red flag
It has 170k mikes - red flag

I would not trust this guy. Sounds like a scam to me. If he asks you to send him a "down payment" he most certainly is a scammer...

BE CAREFUL Mark!!!

I second that! I read the first line about how to contact and said to myself "SCAM"!

Mikey
11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Did you already get it or just looking at it? It seems a little fishy to me price seems a little low and like others have said the way he wants to be contacted seems strange. Also, he says that it has never been abused or taken off road. If that is true then why does a 99 jeep need a new motor and transfer case? It shouldnt.

Prostar in Michigain
11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
well me and my dad thought it was a scam but we went and looked at it. They guy said that the reason the phone number is working is because he "quit" his job and that was his work phone. We did bring up the new motor and he said he wanted more "power" so he put in a new machine as he calls it. So were goin for a second look on friday after school. thanks for the quick replies keep them coming

Mikey
11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
If everything is legit then it sounds like a great deal. If you or your dad are not mechanics then I would have a good mechanic go through it and check it out before you give him any money. Congrats if you end up with it. Its a very nice looking Jeep.

Prostar in Michigain
11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
well my dad rebuilt his corvette but he doesnt really know anything about jeeps so what were gonna do is im gonna take it for a test drive and go to a jeep dealer right by my house

Mikey
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
well my dad rebuilt his corvette but he doesnt really know anything about jeeps so what were gonna do is im gonna take it for a test drive and go to a jeep dealer right by my house

Thats a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.:)

Prostar in Michigain
11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
will do thanks for all the help and i think our MC will look pretty good behind it haha

wakolman
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
A couple of things that pop out at me...it looks like it was built for off roading, so check the frame underneath for sliding over rocks etc. Ask for receipts for any/all work that he says he has done to the jeep. I would think that with all the miles, parts have been replaced. Alternator, water pump, cat. converter, etc.

Do the warranties transfer over to a new owner (you)? What was the jeep used for to get to the 170,000? Higher than average miles for an eight year old vehicle.

Remember, you are buying the remaining life in the vehicle. It looks sharp, I would have loved to get something like that back in the day!

rholmes
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
At that price and that kind of shape (as long as the pictures are representative of its condition), you probably can't go wrong. You can drive it for 5 years and sell it for $3k all day long. Main thing on Jeeps to remember is the catalytic converters are notorious for going out, the rear of the exhaust manifold near the firewall loves to crack on OEM pieces (as well as the bolts that hold them in!), the electrical system can inherit some gremlins if the first sign of problems is not immediately taken care of and the OEM radiators are ****e!! I would suggest buying an aftermarket header (pacer is good and cheap for the TJ's). Looks like the radiator has already been done. THe 4.0l is not a horsepower or torque monster, but it does take some serious abuse and run great (albeit loud) in the Jeep. I had a 97 TJ that was an absolute blast. Never should have sold it. Never had electrical issues, but the cats and manifold did go bad. $500 of repair and she ran like new. Someone had already replaced the radiator before me. There is a great jeep forum online you should check out. Just google search it. And remember the Jeep wave!!

whitedog
11-29-2007, 01:01 AM
If this is in Chicago land concider having WFT look at it for you. He is on the board often and has built a couple of jeeps if I recall. He is the Chicago area.

Lennyp04
11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Nice, I'm still trying to work my parents on getting me a car!

peason
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Lenny - get your own!

Ric
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
If only my first car woulda been so cool mr. gain. I say buy it. your first car should not be a pristine worry free car anyway so a Jeep is perfect for this application!

My old man always said that if the kid has to work on the car to keep it going, he's off the streets which is better for ALL of us! hahahhahha

ShamrockIV
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
sharp!!!

Why new engine?