PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone store outside and what do you do?

Leroy
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Found out today I have a slip at Morse lake ~20 minutes away instead of Monroe ~1hr 45 min. Commute makes this worthwhile. The only problem is the slip is uncovered. Boat will be on a lift. Where last year I left my boat out all year under cover now will be out during summer uncovered and in winter go in garage. Is canvas tarp adequate for outside storage all summer? I've done it for short periods in the past. For sure need something better to hold up the cover so it won't pool up. Does anyone else do this and what do you do?

ski_king
03-16-2005, 10:01 PM
If the cover is in good shape, shouldn't be a problem. But keeping the water from pooling is a key. Does you cover go over the sides far? Biggest issue will be possible fading of uncovered areas.

Mine sits outside, but in a shaded area 3 months each summer.

I did find a good use a few years ago for a tube before I got my new cover. Turn it upside down and put under the cover to hold the cover up better and keep the water fom pooling

east tx skier
03-16-2005, 10:18 PM
The MBO board has a good how too on making a cover support system using pvc pipe. BriEOD made one. A good canvas shop could add a skirt to your cover to protect the side of the boat while it's on the lift.

Hoosier Bob
03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Remeber that Morse is a nice lake but gets very low. I know people who still have their boats in due to not being able to get back to the ramp. The last five years or so have been brutal up there. Anyway if it has water it is a nice place. Better than Geist. Keep an eye on it and pull out before it's too late. Hopefully thats the forst time you've heard that!Found out today I have a slip at Morse lake ~20 minutes away instead of Monroe ~1hr 45 min. Commute makes this worthwhile. The only problem is the slip is uncovered. Boat will be on a lift. Where last year I left my boat out all year under cover now will be out during summer uncovered and in winter go in garage. Is canvas tarp adequate for outside storage all summer? I've done it for short periods in the past. For sure need something better to hold up the cover so it won't pool up. Does anyone else do this and what do you do?

Leroy
03-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Doug; Agree, I think I need something like the PVC support system, but my canvas tends to wick through where it touches. Maybe won't be bad if it isn't pooling. Skirt would be nice too, along with a teak protector. Sounds like a "boat hat".

Yes Bob, in the fall it can get low, at least at the Marina it is pretty deep, for Indiana, ~20'. The dock in Cicero had to call people to get their boat out or you are stranded like you said.

Ready for skiing Bob?

prostar205
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
If you have a lift, why not get a canopy for the lift and have side curtains made for the canopy.

André
03-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Leroy
I have this adjustable pole that snap into a reinforced piece of caneva with the female part of the snap under my fast cover.
Works good to keep water from pooling.
Tou could put one under your bow cover also...

BrianM
03-17-2005, 08:44 AM
www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com)

Have him make you a waterline cover which also goes over the platform. He will put the tension string so it is accessable from where ever you want (front side back). Watertight Sunbrella that fits like a drum head with just two support poles that snap in. No pooling water and no fading gelcoat. See the picture of mine on the trailer in my gallery. can't reccomend them enough. My boat stays outside but I don't worry much with this cover. Trailers great as well

east tx skier
03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
If you have a lift, why not get a canopy for the lift and have side curtains made for the canopy.

I keep suggesting side curtains that can be raised an lowered to my father-in-law. But he doesn't want it to wreck his view.

AirJunky
03-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I have kept my 205 in the water about 8 months a year the last 5 years. I'm using a Sunbrella cover that ties down just over the gunnels (gunwhales?). I notice a bit of fading in only one place, on the transom where the angle actually faces upwards a bit. Some 3M wax & a good buffing seem to take care of that pretty well.
I also have a tonneau cover but prefer this type of cover for a couple of reasons, keeps the bugs out of the boat, protects the windshield, quick & easy to get on & off, snaps are cracking my gelcoat. I also have the stock cover & supports but after the supports poked thru the "reinforced" area, I made a pair of supports from 1" PVC that snap onto the side rails. They cost about $3 to make & need to be replaced every couple years, but they support the cover across about a 4' wide area, not just one little 1" circle. I'll get some pictures of the supports & the cover & post them up here later.
I also have a spray on product that will waterproof a paper towel & will get the name of it for you.

east tx skier
03-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, those cover support poles leave little nubs in your cover. I don't like 'em.

André
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
No nubs .The pole got the male snap and the female is in the triple layers of canvas 4 x 4 square.I like it.

AirJunky
03-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Aqua-Tite...... thats the spray on waterproofing stuff I was referring to. It's amazing stuff & will waterproof just about anything. Lasts for a long time too. It's not cheap though.

http://www.autostyles.com/aquatite.htm

Farmer Ted
03-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Leroy
I have this adjustable pole that snap into a reinforced piece of caneva with the female part of the snap under my fast cover.
Works good to keep water from pooling.
Tou could put one under your bow cover also...

Dude,

That's an awesome picture! Above your boat is a perfect reflection of the sky and trees. Awesome!

bradamerry
03-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Dude,

That's an awesome picture! Above your boat is a perfect reflection of the sky and trees. Awesome!
That's just Andre', he is AWESOME!!!!! :banana:

Leroy
03-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Great suggestions, I like the Sunbrella. The Aqua Tite might work with my present canvas cover as I haven't done anything to the cover in 5 years. But so far it was just for dust.

I also have two poles with male and two female parts in the cover Andre. Mine doesn't snap, just insert. But I think my cover has the pull downs at the wrong spot and will always pool in the back and normally in the front when left outside.

André
03-18-2005, 07:52 AM
That's just Andre', he is AWESOME!!!!! :banana:
Thanks Brad!
You check is in the mail... :toast:

bradamerry
03-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks Brad!
You check is in the mail... :toast:
Trying to make you feel better. High of 70 here today and I will be on the course, golf course that is :banana: . Big tourney tomorrow and I have not played much lately :( .

André
03-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Used to play a lot too.But quit when i started waterskiing .Played one round last year,first one in 3 years,played 87 with 2 OOB,3 3 putts,3 chip out.
From 18 to 25 ,used to play around 80 rounds a year.
When i see the equipements today,the couse are getting way too short,now it 's a Drive'n chip contest on 475 yards par 4.My 75 years old neighbor can drive almost 300.
Just crazy the size of those drivers...

bradamerry
03-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Used to play a lot too.But quit when i started waterskiing .Played one round last year,first one in 3 years,played 87 with 2 OOB,3 3 putts,3 chip out.
From 18 to 25 ,used to play around 80 rounds a year.
When i see the equipements today,the couse are getting way too short,now it 's a Drive'n chip contest on 475 yards par 4.My 75 years old neighbor can drive almost 300.
Just crazy the size of those drivers...
And the equipment cost alot of dough. I retooled about two years ago and spent right around $2500.00 :eek: !!!

André
03-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Gotta link to what're swinging ?

Leroy
03-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Now that get quoted up there with "Tranny" and couple of others recently!:D

André
03-18-2005, 09:04 AM
LOLLLLLLL
Sorry for the thread jack Leroy.
Won't happen again...for the next 10 minutes.
But i guess we could start a Golf off topic thread...

bradamerry
03-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Gotta link to what're swinging ?
http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/irons/690mb.asp

Leroy
03-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Don't worry about the hi-jax. No problem. I've just done 70 inquiries (and all pet friendly) for rentals on the gulf coast 4/2-4/9 week this morning. The previous houses either didn't match my wife's desire or she's still thinking of the stuff around the house should could do with the spring break money! www.vbro.com (http://www.vbro.com) is great site for searching that area.

bradamerry
03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Don't worry about the hi-jax. No problem.
Not the first highjack on this board. ;)

Leroy
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
But some people have a particular problem with this, especially me! Have a good golf game today and bring home some ski money!

Not the first highjack on this board. ;)

bradamerry
03-18-2005, 09:50 AM
But some people have a particular problem with this, especially me! Have a good golf game today and bring home some ski money!
Thanks Leroy, my last outing put about $180.00 in Kaylee's piggy bank ;) !

east tx skier
03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
If somebody didn't hijack a thread once in a while, they'd go stale. Another solution to avoid the indentions in the cover is to get a wider diameter pvc pipe and shove a tennis ball in each end. Nice smooth surface for the cover and a little grip for the bottom of the pole

dmac
03-18-2005, 03:10 PM
My MariStar came with a trailering cover and connected supprot poles. There is one in the bow area with straps that wrap through the grab rails. It has a connecting strap to the second pole which stands up in approximately the center of the cockpit. Finally there is a stap off of it that attaches to the ski pylon. When all hooked up it stands on its own and keeps the cover propped up. Came with the boat.

I store outside but in a boathouse, open on the sides right now. Fixing that is hopefully a summer project.

mika
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Leroy have a waterline cover made. They rokk! I will look for a picture I know I have one some place. But all a waterline cover is a traditional mooring cover plus material that covers all the sides and back. There is a draw string at the bottom that draws the cover around the hull. I had a custom cover shop make it up in 98. At that time I think it was less the 400 bucks. The boat sits on a hoist all week,:( waiting for the weekend :) then I just use the traditional mooring cover. Simply put the gel coat looks perfect and the boat looks as good today as it did the day I picked it up. I have had many people see and comment on the cover and it is even trailerable. The cover shop made a section that is removable for the trailer hitch point at the bow. I will look for the picture but it may take me a while to find.

Leroy
03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Mika; I think this is the ticket. Looking between Sunbrella and local shop to make something like this. If you find the picture would love to see it.

Thanks!

My present cover did have two poles and both had snaps.

BrianM
03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Leroy,

There is a picture of my waterline cover in my gallery. Definately the way to go if you have to leave it exposed to the elements.

sfitzgerald351
03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I had a waterline cover made by Lohaus Covers. It was a bit pricey by the time I added all the bells and whistles this cover goes all the way down to the trailer bunks and covers the swimplatform. Came to like $650 but the quality is excellent. They reinforce in all the right spots, use bunny fur in the right spots, have good venting, good tie downs, etc.... If you can't find a pre-made one call them up. They can usually find a local boat to measure if you tell them the year / model. I need to remember to take a picture of the cover!

Lohaus Covers
Custom Made Covers of All Types. We Do Repair Work Party, Wedding Tent Rentals
2768 Gaston Road, Cottage Grove, WI 53527
(608) 839-3902
(608) 839-3902 (fax)

sfitzgerald351
03-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh, and in winter I make a "covered wagon" out of the boat so I have something that can take the snow load. Though the guys at Lohaus said some of their customers use his covers in the snow too... (he didn't recommend it, but said you could do it no problem).

sfitzgerald351
03-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Here it is in action after clearing 4 feet of snow from on top. I use the heavy duty brown tarps and they are a lot stronger than the blue tarps.

wiltok
03-28-2005, 08:14 PM
I know this is a different boat - but here is what I did with my Donzi. I bought the rail connectors and slats at West Marine. Also, a slalom ball goes on each side to help keep water off the cover. This works really well - and is fairly easy to put on.

sfitzgerald351
03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
It that one of those old Donzi 18s with the 454 that would do like 85 mph and scare the crap out of you?

A family friend had one. Lots of fun, but very punishing on the back and pretty damn scary when you hit a wake a 85. This was at Tahoe too (6,000) so I'm sure that boat could go faster at sea level which is downright frightening.

dmgroh
04-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Here's some of the things I ran into regarding storage:

In the water-make sure the battery is charged to run the automatic bilge pump. Even if you have the best cover made, water gets in. The flywheel is the lowest operating part of the motor. It is actually only an inch or so off the bottom of the bilge. If you allow several inches of water to accumulate in the bilge, the teeth on the flywheel will eventually rust. I had to re-ring my flywheel.

On the trailer or lift-(with or w/o a cover) make sure you pull the drain plug near the pylon and keep the bilge clear of leaves or other debris. See above.

Fading Gelcoat-if you dock or park in the same position for years, it will fade if you don't cover the entire boat, which includes the platform. I'm currently refurbishing my transom after 20 years of sun.

Trailer tires-most trailer tires die from the sun, not mileage. Harbor Freight sells a set of 4 fabric covers for $10 if you catch the sale. They're spring loaded and fit easily around the tire. My boat sits in the Texas sun, and these tire covers stay on the tire regardless of wind. I expected to replace them every 6 months, but the original set have been on over 1 year.

I won't go into a history of my problems on not properly winterizing my fresh water cooled 84 351w. This is what I do now; I change the oil & filter before storing, run the carb dry-fogging the motor for the last 15 seconds, force an antifreeze solution thru the sea-water portion of the cooling system, drain the intercooler of this solution (knowing some of it remains in the impeller and lines in and out). All gas that goes into my tank is always stablized, even if I think I can get in 3 or 4 more trips before the season ends. I then pull the plugs for inspection, squirting oil into the cylinders, replacing the plugs.

I turn the engine over by hand. It takes a 13/16 socket which I leave in place. Each month during the layup, I turn the motor 1/4 turn by hand. I also turn the propeller 1/4 turn. This sounds kinda anal, but I have seen crankshaft journals & bearings eaten away by the acid in the oil. I have a section on my prop shaft that is eaten away because water (probably saltwater) stayed in one place on that shaft for a long time. I had to cut back the rubber hose on the stuffing box so that the shaft seal would contact a clean section of the shaft. Anyone want to price a new stainless steel prop shaft?

No dealer advised this items or course of action, even when prompted in my early days of ownership. Most of these items won't show their expensive heads until many years of neglect, and all along, I thought I was doing everything I should be doing.

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 06:35 AM
I will definetly attest to getting a cover that protects the WHOLE boat. Our current boat is BADLY faded on one side from sitting at the dock all day unprotected for 14 summers. The only bad thing on the entire boat. :(

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 08:35 AM
skiboatscovers.com

I saw the cover BrianM has on his 88' (see his photo gallery) and bought the same thing for mine. It will cover the platform and down to the waterline. You call em' tell em' your make and model and they make a custom cover. I even had them sew in quick snap buckles for an extra $20. They make a very nice cover.

BrianM
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I was just sitting her wondering if you ever did order the cover. How did it work out for you and are you as happy as I am? What color? Pictures please.

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
B--I did get it and also had them add on the straps (good tip!!). I got it Cadet Grey. That shouldn't fade to badly and it also matches my boat. I wasn't real thrilled with the 2 snap in poles so I stuck with my 2" PVC skeleton (I modified the height). In that configuration it doesn't quite cover the entire platform but I use something else to cover it. But, it also put a lot of good angles in the cover and I don't have any water pooling. I'll get some photos soon. It was a bit pricey but seems to be worth it.

Leroy
05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I have my factory canvas working now, but still plan on ordering the $650 waterline covers.

Only question is the sharkskin is like $400 and the other is $650 (recommended). I believe the $400 one has a problem that it doesn't breath, true? Then either the water pellets or put breathing holes in it. Prices seem pretty consistent everywhere.

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure Leroy. I bought the Sunbrella. The other Brian has the Sunbrella as well. It seems to breath very well.

BrianM
05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I have heard that the Sharkskin has breathing problems as well. The Sunbrella is a couple of hundred more but it has a great warranty and breaths really well. If the boat has to stay outside I would not buy anything less than the Sunbrella.

Evan Jones
05-06-2005, 09:19 AM
How many out there interested in new waterline (or other) covers from skiboatcovers.com? Do we need to go underground? Anyone PM me if you want to get together a bigger order. I'm putting my boat on a lift with no canopy this year and I am ready for a good new cover. Do the waterline covers always cover the teak platform?

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 09:20 AM
What are the covers made out of that come with the boats?

BrianM
05-06-2005, 09:38 AM
. Do the waterline covers always cover the teak platform?

I am 99% sure that the answer is yes.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
How many out there interested in new waterline (or other) covers from skiboatcovers.com? Do we need to go underground? Anyone PM me if you want to get together a bigger order. I'm putting my boat on a lift with no canopy this year and I am ready for a good new cover. Do the waterline covers always cover the teak platform?

How much do these covers run?

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Answered my own question $600.00 :eek:

If you guys aren't done with the order by the time I have my boat, I would be interested.

Evan Jones
05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm not in a huge hurry. "erkoehler"- what's your time frame on getting your boat?

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not in a huge hurry. "erkoehler"- what's your time frame on getting your boat?

I am trying for under a month. I just have to arrange the financing, and do a couple test drives.

And I might take care of one of those this weekend.

Leroy
05-14-2005, 12:24 AM
It seems people like the sharkskin until they have to deal with the moisture build up. The sunbrellas don't seem to have that problem. I have my canvas cover working now, but its certainly more difficult and doesnt' cover the teak.

I want to buy a new cover soon. hint hint.

mika
06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Well I never did find the pictures of my boat with the waterline cover so I took some new ones this weekend. Here they are.
I forget the material it is made of but it is tough stuff. Had a local shop make it and she suggested the material. Very tough stuff. I have trailered with it a few times as well.

mika
06-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Sunbrella (sp) is great stuff. IMO it biggest draw back is that under the weight of snow or pooled water the cover will strech a lot. The regular mooring cover I use is sunbrella and it covers the platform. I only use the waterline cover when the boat sit on the hoist all week (yeah I wish I could use it everyday :) ). I would not use a sunbrella cover for off season outside storage. I would make the proper modifications to allow some breathing. I just feel that other materials will hold up better to off season weather. Now if you live in a state that does not get snow I am sure sunbrella will work great. Just my 2 cents.

Ben
06-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Mika,
Cover looks great, your remove the platform for the week? I am in a similar situation, and want to have my cover modified to cover the sides. Planning to have side extensions made friday. I was wondering where your drawstring is on the cover? I'm trying to figure out a way to have the side extensions and platform cover added and still be able to tighten it w/o getting wet....
Current plan is to maintain current drawstring usage, have side extensions hang freely, and platform cover would be a separate flap w/elastic corners. Then I can tie the cover as normal (while on the platform), then pull the platform cover over as I step onto the dock, or hoist sides. Any advice or opinions on this?
My only concern would be the free hanging sides. I like the way yours is all tight, but would like to be able to tie it from the platform & dock, especially if we take the boat elsewhere, where it may stay in the water overnight.

mika
06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Ben, the water line cover I had made by a local cover maker in Lake Orion MI. I think the company name is Sport Interiors and the number is 248.628.3831. The lady who owns the company works out of her house and some times have a long waiting list. She does awesome work and her attention to deatil is great. I just dropped off the boat and told her what I wanted and she figured it all out.

As to your questions. the draw sting is up front, and yeah I get in the water and tie it up. In all honesty not a problem at all. If you had an L or T shaped dock u could do it and never get wet.

Sounds like you though out the addition of sides to the cover well. I actually was thinking of doing close to the same with my orginal cover. But was talked out of it. My orginal cover was a cheap cotton one so putting the $$ into something that had a short life did not make sense. That and once I got to thinking about it did not want to do all that work every weekend when I cover the boat every night so the two cover systme works well for me.

IMO I would do the two cover system. Yeah you end up getting some $$ tied up in covers but they will last a long time. That water line cover was made in the spring of 99 and that picture I took was last weekend. So it is holding up well and the material look as good today as new. Yeah I should wash the cover but that takes time from skiing :) The biggest draw back to the water line cover is that it is kind of heavy. Another consideration, I have seen some slight marks from wind whipping of the cover aginst the boat. Make sure the boat and inside of the cover are clean if you plan on trailer with it on. I only trailer with a cover on if the weather is bad. But remember road grim will work between the boat and cover and that will cause slight scratches. I really like to take good care of my boat so I am kind of picky. Friends make fun of my boat rules, but I got it in 98 and it looks as good today as it did the day I picked it up.

Hope this helps you some

Ben
06-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks Mika,
Our cover is a nice sundura one, so adding another sundura to the fleet, then more $$ to modify it was out of the question (this year). I ended up having side extensions made, a platform cover added, and the tie down moved to the side the dock is on. Used a local lady that I think does Skiers Pier's work. Other than the fact I need to take it back to have the sides go back about 8 more inches, she did a good job too.
As for trailering, I'm in trouble if I need to cover, but have never trailered w/cover. Probably less long dist trailering than before now that we're on a lake.... Used to take a trip or 2 up north & have went down to Norris once, and hope to get back to cumberland sooner than later.
I'll post a pic after its finished. Thanks for the advice.

Ben
06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Had to have a little more added to the bottom corners last night, but finally done. Should look a little better once on the hoist & in the sun all day....