PDA

View Full Version : Teak ? for TMCNo1

TOO-TALL
11-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I was reading your teak refurb.You sand then oil,Change to a finer grit sand then oil again,and repete.
My question... do you let the oil soak in for a few hours inbetween sandings?

I'll be working on my teak tommorow. I'm not get'n anywear near shoping stores tommorow:D :D

G-man
11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Generally you need the oil to dry completely or when you sand it the teak will ball up and fill the sandpaper between the grit. The best way to dry it is to set it out in the sun. Take your time it will become an obsession over the winter and in the spring it will look great.

TOO-TALL
11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Cool man...its going to be sunny tommorow.

Thanks for the reply

BrianM
11-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Yep it has to dry completely. When the weather is cool you will probably have to wait 24 hours or more in between coats.

TX.X-30 fan
11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Teak thread #1997 :mad: :confused: :D

cbryan70
11-23-2007, 12:11 PM
24 hours! That would be nice it has been taking about a day and a half or so for mine to dry. And ive been putting a fan, a heater anything i can think of on it. Its starting to shine finally tho. on to 1500 grit for the second time then 2000 twice then if i get bored going to do it again or wax it

Patrick Hardy
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I did mine last spring. It took four days for the whole process. My girlfriend & neighbors thought I was nuts, but they all admired the final product. Go slow and take your time.

TOO-TALL
11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Well first process done.
Sanded with 80,then sanded with 120.Oiled now just waiting to dry.
Waiting,
Waiting,
Waiting,
And Waiting..........

Footin
11-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Looks good, maybe you can get it finished by the end of the weekend.

Yellow X9
11-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I had 4 days in mine aswell,

1st day, sanded the deck about 1.5 hrs, then applied the 1st coat ( I use Teak oil ), later that nite 2nd coat of Teak oil.

2nd day, 1st coat of sealer

3rd day, 2nd coat of sealer

4th day, last coat of sealer

I'll have to takes some pics, looks like a fine piece of furniture to me. I have done 3 other decks so far this fall / winter.

Yellow X9
11-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Well first process done.
Sanded with 80,then sanded with 120.Oiled now just waiting to dry.
Waiting,
Waiting,
Waiting,
And Waiting..........

Be sure to put a sealer on it after the Teak oil has dried, I generally put 3 coatings of sealer on mine.

cbryan70
11-23-2007, 06:00 PM
You do oil then sealer?

TOO-TALL
11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Be sure to put a sealer on it after the Teak oil has dried, I generally put 3 coatings of sealer on mine.

Hmmmmm.....I never used teak sealer just teak oil.I will make a trip to my marina tommorow and look for teak sealer.

FOOTIN What up Bro ??

G-man
11-23-2007, 08:10 PM
If you read the white bottle of teak oil by starbrite it is a sealer. You get a bunch of coats on there with proper sanding and drying and it's sealed

TOO-TALL
11-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Ahhh....If I look on the bottle it will say sealer.My does say sealer

You guys make it sound like there is another step after oiling.

123src
11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Where in the world is Harold when you need him? Maybe he is just so excited about this thread that he is still typing out his response:D 8p

G-man
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
no other step

Roonie's
11-23-2007, 11:57 PM
The teak oil is also a sealer..... no other steps. I did mine in 5 coats, sanding in between, and letting it dry fully. It was mid summer so 90+ degrees outside and in the sun it dried in under an hour.

A pic of the finished product using Starbrite's Teak Oil.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0002.jpg

TOO-TALL
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Just checked the platform it is dry, should be ready to sand(step 3) tommorow.

Thanks Guys

Patrick Hardy
11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I follow the guide by Bubba Beck that was in the May 2006 Waterski Magazine. It details how to get the best Teak Performance using Star Brite products. It has worked great for my teak.

Step #1 Star Brite Teak Cleaner - Wet the teak and apply the cleaner, scrub with a brush, let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse and repeat until the teak is clean and uniform in color, no gray or black areas.

Step #2 Star Brite Teak Brightener - Apply the Brightener after the teak has been throughly cleaned but is still wet. Wipe on in the direction of the teak grain and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off and allow to dry completely - at least 24 to 48 hours.

Step #3 Star Brite Tropical Teak Sealer - Apply with a foam brush like you are painting it. Let sealer dry for 12 to 24 hours, then reapply sealer two to three times, sanding between coats.

Step #4 Star Brite Teak Oil - Apply with a fine paintbrush in the direction of the grain. Let oil sit for 15 to 20 minutes, then wipe off excess oil with a lint free cloth. Let teak dry for 8 to 12 hours and then repeat as many times as it takes to get your desired look.

It helps to let the teak dry in the direct sun, saves lots of time in the end. Of all the products that I have used on my teak, the Star Brite products seem to get the best results. Have fun and good luck working the elbows.

Jim@BAWS
11-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I like the STARBRITE Cleaners and Brightners. When cleaning your platfrom DO NOT use a HARD METAL bristle brush. Use a soft metal one like BRASS. It is not as harsh on the wood.

I prefer AMAZON Teak oil. Lighter in color and is thicker vs. the Starbrite. Starbrite works great and is easy to use. Just Amazon
adds a different color.

Jim@BAWS

Patrick Hardy
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Jim, do you have any photos of your teak? I would be interested in seeing the difference in color from mine / Star Brite's byproduct. Thanks

Jim@BAWS
11-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Patrick,

Back in the day...when I did platforms that is what I used. When NEW boats come in I store the platforms out of direct sunlight untill we deliver the boat. That keeps the platfroms fresh until delivery. You can ALWAYS bring a TEAK platform back to life. I just don't like to do that anymore. FL sun is hard on them.

Jim@BAWS

Covi
11-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Roonie nice work on the platform. That what I'm talking about

TMCNo1
11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Sorry, we've been out of town since Thanksgiving Day. Letting it set in the warm sun helps dry the sealer/preserver. You will know if it's still not dry, cause it will want to wad up on you wet or dry so be patient!

Monte
11-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry, we've been out of town since Thanksgiving Day. Letting it set in the warm sun helps dry the sealer/preserver. You will know if it's still not dry, cause it will want to wad up on you wet or dry so be patient!

Dries quicker on the roof too;) :D

TMCNo1
11-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Dries quicker on the roof too;) :D

You said that right!

TOO-TALL
11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Geeezzzz........

Let me get this straight.
Sand,oil let dry
Sand,oil let dry

.........THEN PUT ON ROOF OF HOUSE TO DRY MORE......

I had know idea this was going to be a big project:D :D :D

TMCNo1
11-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Geeezzzz........

Let me get this straight.
Sand,oil let dry
Sand,oil let dry

.........THEN PUT ON ROOF OF HOUSE TO DRY MORE......

I had know idea this was going to be a big project:D :D :D

Once you get a good smooth base an hour or two once a year is all it takes, unless you abuse it, then your on your own.
I always let it set like that in the sun between coats to dry, before sanding and applying the next THIN coat, 5 hours later, it's ready for another sanding and another THIN coat. Only enough oil to gloss it up and cover over the sanding marks. Then it looks like this,

SkiDog
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Patrick,

Back in the day...when I did platforms that is what I used. When NEW boats come in I store the platforms out of direct sunlight untill we deliver the boat. That keeps the platfroms fresh until delivery. You can ALWAYS bring a TEAK platform back to life. I just don't like to do that anymore. FL sun is hard on them.

Jim@BAWS

Come on Jim, think of the memories it would bring back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D Damn, now that I think about it, I gotta do MY teak this winter! BLA!

stuartmcnair
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Harold has two decks. One that only comes out of its velvet lined case for pictures and shows and another one that actually goes on the boat.

I don't think that one has ever been wet.

TMCNo1
11-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Harold has two decks. One that only comes out of its velvet lined case for pictures and shows and another one that actually goes on the boat.

I don't think that one has ever been wet.

Sorry, it was on the boat at CSM last year and the boat was in the water for 2 days, ask anyone there! I wish I had 2, then I'd have one with red Astro Turf put on with roofing tacks!

Sodar
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Once you get a good smooth base an hour or two once a year is all it takes, unless you abuse it, then your on your own.
I always let it set like that in the sun between coats to dry, before sanding and applying the next THIN coat, 5 hours later, it's ready for another sanding and another THIN coat. Only enough oil to gloss it up and cover over the sanding marks. Then it looks like this,

Mine looks better with peanut butter.

TMCNo1
11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Mine looks better with peanut butter.

Yea, the color is close and the crunchier the better for non-skid purposes!:rolleyes:

lanier92prostar
11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
After reading all these threads on teak, I need to get to work before one of you sees my teak!