PDA

View Full Version : What best way to remove mildew

hz900
11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I had to let the boat set outside for about 2 months while moving and had a cover on it, but apparently while it was protected from the rain the moisture built up inside and I had a mildew problem.... on white upholstery. I've gotten most of it up with the exception of a few places. I've tried simple green (diluted and straight), scotch bright pad with several kitchen cleaners, and toilet bowl cleaner w/ bleach. None of this has worked. Any ideas on something else to try?

6ballsisall
11-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Magic erasers work awesome for this sort of thing.

JoshBuzz
11-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I've got the same problem. We're getting our Coyote ready to sell, and it's been covered in the back year for a couple months and the white seats have mildew on em! Bleach works wonders, but I don't wanna put anything to rough on the seats! I'm thinking about just ordering that Star Brite Mildew cleaner and seeing how it works!

H20skeefreek
11-22-2007, 09:38 PM
it works great, but it's bleach based. the west marine version is the EXACT same product for $2 cheaper per bottle.

JoshBuzz
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
well, as long as they say the bleach is alright for it, then I'll use it, just wasn't sure coming from an amateur's perspective how the bleach would react with the seats!! Thanks H2O!

alletric
11-22-2007, 10:25 PM
well, as long as they say the bleach is alright for it, then I'll use it, just wasn't sure coming from an amateur's perspective how the bleach would react with the seats!! Thanks H2O!I hear a lot of people say that it eats the threads up. I would use it and then rense it real good. I always look at it that if it wouldn't come off with other products give it a shot. I ain't leaving the mildew on there so use the bleach/tilex/starbrite and see if it works. Otherwise you will be buying new interior without trying. It bought me two years on the old interior and never came apart.

thijs
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I experimented with a few different cleaners on ours and found that that oxy clean stuff actually works pretty good. I didn't buy all that garbage they say in the info-mercials but I can't argue that it was the best thing for cleaning seats and the hull stain.

SunCoast 83
11-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Master Craft makes an all purpose cleaner, they say it is safe for the interior as well. I bought a bottle a couple of months back, however have not needed to use it yet.

BrianM
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
it works great, but it's bleach based. the west marine version is the EXACT same product for $2 cheaper per bottle.
I used the West Marine Mildew remover and it works awesome. Cleaned all of the interior of my '85 with it. turned out great.

Here is a before

BrianM
11-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I know this isn't the same side but it all turned out this clean and this side looked just as bad before. That big mold spot in the before picture completely went away. After...........

H20skeefreek
11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I hear a lot of people say that it eats the threads up. I would use it and then rense it real good. I always look at it that if it wouldn't come off with other products give it a shot. I ain't leaving the mildew on there so use the bleach/tilex/starbrite and see if it works. Otherwise you will be buying new interior without trying. It bought me two years on the old interior and never came apart.
As long as cotton thread isn't used, it's fine. When repairs are done by the DIY'er sometimes the right things don't get used.

markfromtexas
02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
On the occasional spot I've found, Vinyl Siding Cleaner has done a great job. So much so that I've diluted some and keep a spray bottle on the boat for cleanups and getting pollen off.

cbryan70
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Amazon mildew removed. i never heard anything but great things when i recommended it to customers

Leroy
02-22-2008, 06:01 PM
I used this stuff recently and it removed the stuff growing on my seats and even the faint stains from earlier spots.

No bleach....

lassy
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Magic Erasers!!!!