PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a shine/sealant back on gelcoat?

hz900
11-22-2007, 07:54 PM
After having to let my boat sit outside for 2 months while moving I finally last weekend cleaned it up and put it up for the winter. I had to bleach the hull to get rid of the muddy water stains (I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.. works great with little effort). Anyway this is the 3rd time this year I've had to do this and the first two times during the summer in about 3-4 weeks the stain was back. It seems that the seal on the fiberglass is gone and it just soaks it up. How do I re-seal it and get the shine back so I can just wash the scum off?

Also on another note under the boat in the front where I pull up and park at the local sand bar it has worn through the white. I'm going to put one of those guards on it before next year but I'd like to fix that before just hiding the problem if possible.... any suggestions?

6ballsisall
11-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Scum lines are normal on a gel coated boat. It's porous so it's gonna happen. A few very good coats of wax will help quite a bit with the stains, make sure to keep up on the wax jobs throughout the year.

As for the scuff marks on the bow, sounds like it needs regelcoated there. Take it to a reputable gelcoat shop and let them do their thing

bigmac
11-22-2007, 11:31 PM
My suggestion for fixing the keel is bite the bullet and find a boat fiberglass guy to fix it for you.

As to the gel coat, more than likely it's oxidized and is holding stains tighter. Gelcoat isn't exactly porous, but it is permeable enough that water can get through it by osmosis. It can stain even when brand new, but if it has an oxidation layer, that is going to be more stainable than nice shiny gelcoat.

There is no sealant on gelcoat. If you have oxidation, it has to come off, so it's time to man up and get a circular buffer with the appropriate compounds. No, not those random orbital Black and Deckers that the hardware store sells for $30, a professional buffer like you'd buy at a body shop supplier - they're about $200+. Several excellent threads here on Team Talk on the subject of gelcoat restoration. That's where I'd start. Do an advanced search on "restoration diary" by Shepherd.

H20skeefreek
11-23-2007, 10:05 AM
You can get a decent rotary at harbor frieght for under $100. But def. stay away from a "random orbital" they don't do anything for oxidation...they are good for applying wax though.

bigmac
11-23-2007, 10:18 AM
You can get a decent rotary at harbor frieght for under $100. But def. stay away from a "random orbital" they don't do anything for oxidation...they are good for applying wax though.I gotta say, I've pretty much given up on those Chicago Pneumatic and Central Machinery import brands. They'll usually last for one job, then, months later when you go to use it for the next job, it craps out. Happened to me more than once, so went back to my daddy's teaching "you never save money by buying cheap tools".