PDA

View Full Version : Lappers

JimN
11-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Get yer minds out of the gutter and back into the street where they belong!

Where are you buying laptop computers, do you always buy new or do you buy used and take your chances? My IBM ThinkPad is older and the screen resolution goes all the way up to 600x800 (Oh, effin' boy!), which isn't even close to what I need for certain software. I want DVD-RW (if possible), enough RAM to be useful for a while and a relatively fast processor. I have a copy of XP Pro that I can load but don't need Vista. I would prefer something with a serial port but will live it it doesn't have one. Anyone have one they're planning to replace in the near future that would fit the bill?

east tx skier
11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Jim, what do you need it to do? Video editing? Pictures? Just internet? Word processor? Gaming?

If video editing and gaming isn't on the menu, you can get away with not quite so much processing power. The Mac guys will probably be along in a minute, so I'll get to the bottom line. I saw a deal on a Toshiba this morning that, for basic computing needs, would've been hard to beat (and would also make me forget what awful customer service I had with my one and only Toshiba laptop. Something like $229 for 80 gig hard drive 512 megs of ram, dvd-rw, usb 2.0, card reader and a 1.85 ghz intel processor. Like I said, not smoking fast by today's standards, but plenty for ordinary computing assuming you get an external hard drive eventually.

bcampbe7
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Jim, what do you need it to do? Video editing? Pictures? Just internet? Word processor? Gaming?

If video editing and gaming isn't on the menu, you can get away with not quite so much processing power. The Mac guys will probably be along in a minute, so I'll get to the bottom line. I saw a deal on a Toshiba this morning that, for basic computing needs, would've been hard to beat (and would also make me forget what awful customer service I had with my one and only Toshiba laptop. Something like $229 for 80 gig hard drive 512 megs of ram, dvd-rw, usb 2.0, card reader and a 1.85 ghz intel processor. Like I said, not smoking fast by today's standards, but plenty for ordinary computing assuming you get an external hard drive eventually.

That IS a smokin' deal. Where did you find that?

east tx skier
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Somebody sent me this this morning. I was mistaken though, it is 1.75 ghz. This is essentially spec'd out like the Acer I paid $399 for a few months back. For basic stuff, it runs great. I leave the more memory/processor intensive duties to our desktop.

Link (http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/20/doorbusting-toshiba-a135-for-only-229-you-know-when/)

/I like the Mac commercial on the same page.

bcampbe7
11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
That is an excellent deal for that laptop. It is not a powerhouse/speed demon but would be fine for normal day to day use.

88 PS190
11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Every Toshiba I have used is BURNING hot. And had crap battery life.

Then they burnt out. UNLESS you switch to run Linux which improves the battery life and lowers the amount of heat.

bcampbe7
11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Word on the street is that Apple is going to put their $1099 Macbook on sale for $1098.99! Get in line at your nearest Apple store now or they may sell out. :D

JimN
11-20-2007, 02:47 PM
No gaming, no video editing. 'Net, Office Suite, remote control programming (which needs ~1152x856 resolution), Wi-Fi, some music storage, and that kind of thing. The one I have now is a dinosaur compared to what's available today. I have a friend who has the 2 year old version of the Toshiba and it worked for what I needed, although a less glossy screen would be nice. For the price, I may bite the bullet and deal with it. I can always wipe it with acetone, or something. Spec wise, anything new will blow the doors off of my desktop and lapper. My desktop turns 8 in January. They grow up so fast.

Thanks for the link, Doug.

east tx skier
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Word on the street is that Apple is going to put their $1099 Macbook on sale for $1098.99! Get in line at your nearest Apple store now or they may sell out. :D

I'm doubled over laughing right now. Thanks, Beau.

I don't think bargain computers and battery life go hand in hand. But smaller batteries aren't so bulky either.

Again, I've vowed never to buy another Toshiba. So it's a good thing I'm not in the market for a laptop.

Sodar
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Where are you buying laptop computers, do you always buy new or do you buy used and take your chances?

www.apple.com/store (http://www.apple.com/store)

:D :D :D :D

JimN
11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
This won't necessarily be my main machine, so I don't need it to be top-of-the-line. If I decide to get the Toshiba, and I haven't made my mind up yet, I'd sell the printer. My friend's Toshiba works well, although the first time he went to product training, he found that the RAM included wasn't enough, so he immediately added more. The thing I don't like is that everything comes with Vista now, and the RAM supplied is pitifully low for that OS. I can get one through Best Buy for Business, though and that uses XP Pro.

Arrrgghhhhhh, Apple pie!

No Skeez
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Shoot! I knew I should've waited that one extra week! Timing is everything...

east tx skier
11-20-2007, 05:57 PM
This won't necessarily be my main machine, so I don't need it to be top-of-the-line. If I decide to get the Toshiba, and I haven't made my mind up yet, I'd sell the printer. My friend's Toshiba works well, although the first time he went to product training, he found that the RAM included wasn't enough, so he immediately added more. The thing I don't like is that everything comes with Vista now, and the RAM supplied is pitifully low for that OS. I can get one through Best Buy for Business, though and that uses XP Pro.

Arrrgghhhhhh, Apple pie!

Apart from compatibility with a couple of older software titles I had, Vista has been very nice. I've never seen a computer that came out of the box with enough ram. The first thing I did with my laptop was max out the ram. Usually, they'll ship with about a quarter of what it will hold, which I agree is way low. Laptop ram is fairly inexpensive online though.

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Now that's a deal and I bet it's with a coupon offer too!:rolleyes:

dmayer84
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
You could get a nice used dell latitude c400 on ebay, thats what I use for my laptop and pretty much everything that you described. Office suite and remoting into the desktop for intensive things.

JimN
11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
"Now that's a deal and I bet it's with a coupon offer too!"

For what, Starbucks?