PDA

View Full Version : Buying an older car from GA

H20skeefreek
11-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking of buying an older car that is in GA. The lister says that a 1984 vehicle in GA doesn't require a title. How then, do I verify it's not stolen, and make sure it's legit? SC will require a title, but the auction ends tomorrow, and I won't be able to call the DMV to get the skinny on what I'm gonna have to do. What do you guys think?

Here is the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-El-Camino-1984-CHEVROLET-ELCAMINO-305-ENGINE-DUAL-EXHAUST_W0QQitemZ280172601173QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61 53QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

88 PS190
11-18-2007, 12:29 AM
while its possible to purchase vehicles sans title, I would not be comfortable paying for an item on EBAY before I had taken possession of the vehicle in said manner.

And I would only do said sale in person. I would keep copies of the person's drivers license (and make sure it is him in the picture) as well as a Bill of sale.

Otherwise it would be worth it to me to have him apply for and get a title before the sale.

H20skeefreek
11-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Oh, I definitely wouldn't buy it except in person.

alletric
11-18-2007, 08:12 AM
You do not have to have a title to purchase it but you have to have a title to get it plated. It is like the difference between buying salvage versus something you are going to drive. If you do not have the title they are not going to give you a plate in Georgia. You have to pay a fee for a title search and hope nothing comes up on it. If it does not then they will issue a new title. The only thing that I can think of is take the VIN to you local law inforcement office. I would say tag office but I am sure they are closed today. Have them run the VIN and see what it comes up with. Maybe a Carfax report would give you some history as well. But as far as buying the car you will have to have a bill of sale and as much information about the seller as you can get to give for the title search. Just work the deal outside Ebay and tell him you will get it later in the week and then run the VIN Monday. It will not get close to the reserve and if you do not bid on it there is no risk of negative feedback.

alletric
11-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Check out this site. It will tell you the rules in Georgia. After reading that I guess you don't need one but can still obtain one.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/

H20skeefreek
11-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I had already found that. I think it's just too fishy. If I were selling a vehicle that didn't need a title, but I could get one, I'd get one. And he's giving the whole "i'm selling it for a friend" thing. Well, he can sell it to someone else. Why don't people list there own stuff? I see this all the time.

alletric
11-18-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree I wouldn't touch that thing with a pole. Guy in the picture looked shady to say the least. I just didn't want to rain on your parade if you really wanted it. You can go get the title within a week two weeks. It sure would make things a lot easier. Does it have a plate on it now? If it does chances are it is not stolen becasue the VIN is automatically ran in the database no matter if you apply for a title or not.

alletric
11-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I had already found that. I think it's just too fishy. If I were selling a vehicle that didn't need a title, but I could get one, I'd get one. And he's giving the whole "i'm selling it for a friend" thing. Well, he can sell it to someone else. Why don't people list there own stuff? I see this all the time.
His name is Franko. Who couldn't trust a guy like Franko?

Leroy
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
There is a VIN and you can get a lot of info from that, if it is real.

milkmania
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM

saw a van friday with "I'll Sell Your Stuff On EBAY" on the windows in big vinyl letters.:rolleyes:

atlfootr
11-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Skidog lives in GA, send him over there to check it out :D

Jerseydave
11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
What's a stock '84 El Camino worth these days???

Not exactly a collectors item, better if it was a '70 El Camino SS, then your talkin'!

His buy it now price is rediculous. I'd say $2000 max. and I'm sure it needs a camshaft and lifters, all those 305's did.

CAreful, he said he's selling it for a "friend".

H20skeefreek
11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Actually, does anyone live near Covington, Ga? He says he misunderstood, and his "friend" does have a title. Anyone wanna check it out for me?

atlfootr
11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
There's about 4-6 tmc members on the board that do live in that area, who possible could help.