PDA

View Full Version : adjustable rudder plate?

axmir
08-06-2004, 07:53 PM
I own a 2002 ProStar 197 Tournament Team Edition. The Tournament boats are equipped with a Z-Marine adjustable rudder plate. I understand that the Tournament boats are suppose to be set up to pull a bit to the right at all times to track consistently through the course. Unfortunately, my boat pulls extremely hard to the right regardless of the adjustment on the rudder plate. Two MC dealers and two service reps directly at MasterCraft have been unable to provide me with any suggestions or solutions. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for the help.

André
08-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the board Axmir!
Is the right trailing side of the rudder file? If so that will make the boat pull to the right but i'm pretty sure you knew that or the dealers must have told you...

fieldfamily
08-06-2004, 09:20 PM
I have a 2002 190 pro tournament team mastercraft also and i bent the strut a little. the boat pulled hard to the right until i had it fixed and now it is just fine.

:D

east tx skier
08-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Welcome, Axmir. Apart from the potential bent strut, just to be sure, if the tabs on the rudder's trailing edge are pushed to the left (from looking at them from behind), then the boat will pull right (this is akin to filing the right trailing edge of the rudder).

axmir
08-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Andre, Thanks for the reply. One dealer gave me a copy of a service bulletin outlining the procedure for grinding the rudder on the ProStar 190 & 205. However, one of the service reps at MC indicated that procedure should not be followed on the tournament boats with the adjustable rubber plate. I will consider grinding as my final option.
Thanks,
--axmir

axmir
08-07-2004, 01:19 PM
fieldfamily, Thanks for the reply. I am really excited to read that there might be a simple fix to my problem. Did you complete this repair yourself? I am not certain which part you are referring to as the “Strut”. Can you provide me with a bit more detail?
Thanks,
--axmir

axmir
08-07-2004, 01:39 PM
hear is a picture of my rudder and Z-Marine adjustable rudder plate. Perhaps someone could identify the "strut" for me.

axmir
08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
east tx skier, Thanks for the reply. I have posted a picture of my rudder and Z-Marine adjustable rudder plate. Could you identify the “strut” and the “tabs” that you are referring to? If I correct the “bent strut” will the adjustable rudder plate then allow me to TUNE my steering?
Thanks,
--axmir

André
08-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Axmir
Your right side trailing edge of your rudder looks like it's been manually filed?
Is that the case?Did those dealers actually saw the rudder?
Hardcore slalom drivers like to file that edge to make the boat pull right,so they get a stiffer steering wheel to maintain the boat center in the course without having some play in the steering wheel.
Maybe you could ask the previous owner...

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Axmir, I agree with Andre. Looks like you have a filed rudder, which would cause it to pull right.

The strut is the piece that holds the propeller shaft. But with a filed rudder, that pretty much explains the rightward pull.

I'm not familiar with the adjustable rudder plate, but some tuneable rudders that I have seen have little trim tabs instead of a rudder plate. That's what I was talking about earlier.

The degree of filing on your rudder is more noticeable than it is on mine. It doesn't take much to affect the pull. This can be neutralized by filing the opposite side. Just remember to only do a little at a time, as a little goes a long way.