PDA

View Full Version : new teak deck doesnt match

djkslc
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't have a picture yet, but I replaced the rear 6 inches of teak on the back of my deck because the other one was cracked. So now I have 80% of the deck is 16 year old teak, and 20% has newly cut teak. I sanded the entire deck (for probably 8 total hours) until the teak was all the same color. Then I put my first coat of teak oil on and the old teak soaks it up so much darker than my new piece. What should I do to get the color closer.

stuartmcnair
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
probably be less frustrating

djkslc
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM
"replace the rest" - It has cost me 200.00 so far to get the new teak (6 inches worth) and have it cut properly (teak is not cheap). I can only imagine how much I would be into it to replace the whole things.

justinlkgb
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Interesting debate....I am at this same crossroad.
How dark is the new piece?

what about a tanning bed???:D Ok that's a joke!!...no really.....:rolleyes:

Where did you get the teak wood from?

BrianM
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
All teak is different. I have heard that most of the new farm raised teak is substantially lighter than the old stuff. Probably going to have to live with it. It is amazing how different teak can look. I redid the platform on my '85 and it was a very deep color. The platform on my '97 is very light in contrast to that.

76S&S
11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I built a platform for the 76 S&S. I bought a small bundle (about 15 sq. ft.) of teak off of ebay for around $10 a foot. It was plenty to build the platform from scratch and has a uniform color to it. The color is comparable to that on the 02' X-Star.

djkslc
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
"Where did you get the teak wood from" - I live in Salt Lake and the only wood shop that had teak was Mcbeths specialty wood (80.00 for a 5 foot by 1 foot piece, then 120.00 to cut and finish the piece to fit where the old one came out - which they did a great job on). I will try to get pictures loaded tonight of the difference in color.

roddydog
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Your Teak was probably Old Growth, the new stuff is grown fast and doesn't have nearly the density of the old stuff.

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
"replace the rest" - It has cost me 200.00 so far to get the new teak (6 inches worth) and have it cut properly (teak is not cheap). I can only imagine how much I would be into it to replace the whole things.

Holy Starbrite Batman! Most platforms can be replaced for around $300 to match your original from Teak World, Lebanon, TN 1-615-444-7269, last time I checked!

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
All teak is different. I have heard that most of the new farm raised teak is substantially lighter than the old stuff. Probably going to have to live with it. It is amazing how different teak can look. I redid the platform on my '85 and it was a very deep color. The platform on my '97 is very light in contrast to that.

If it's like farm raised catfish and skrimps, it won't taste as good either!

djkslc
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
"Holy Starbrite Batman! Most platforms can be replaced for around $300 to match your original from Teak World, Lebanon, TN 1-615-444-7269, last time I checked!"

I know, I consider this one of my biggest bone head moves. I had called them first, and they could replace that piece and restore the deck for 180.00, but I had to ship it both ways. I figured out shipping would have been 100.00 total. I figured I could do it cheaper myself, and it would give me a fall project. Well I didn't figure the cut would cost me 120.00, I just about crapped my pants when I went to pick it up. So needless to say this is another project where I calculated wrong. Here's the pictures. I had to re-size and they are a bit blurry, but you'll get the point.

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 11:50 AM
"Holy Starbrite Batman! Most platforms can be replaced for around $300 to match your original from Teak World, Lebanon, TN 1-615-444-7269, last time I checked!"

I know, I consider this one of my biggest bone head moves. I had called them first, and they could replace that piece and restore the deck for 180.00, but I had to ship it both ways. I figured out shipping would have been 100.00 total. I figured I could do it cheaper myself, and it would give me a fall project. Well I didn't figure the cut would cost me 120.00, I just about crapped my pants when I went to pick it up. So needless to say this is another project where I calculated wrong. Here's the pictures. I had to re-size and they are a bit blurry, but you'll get the point.

I wouldn't worry much about the color difference! Just let it age, add a additional coat of oil evry time you put one on the other parts and I believe the colors will come together in due time. In the meantime, just enjoy it!

vogelm1
11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I added my own "transom saver" to the swim platform last season by purchasing a chunk of 3/4" teak and cutting out a piece conforming to the rear of the boat. After using Starbright Teak Oil and Sealer (white bottle). The teak had dark spots and lights spots streaked through it. At first I was disappointed, but after "seasoning" on the back of the boat all summer, it now matches the platform perfectly. As TMC says, it will likely blend with age.

djkslc
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
You mean I have to be patient?

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
You mean I have to be patient?

If not, it will make you a mental patient!8p