PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard question

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I am new to wakeboarding and i have a question. Is a helmet a good investment or just a needless investment? thanks!!!

tex
11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I always wear one.

NeilM
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
We recently invested,after a couple of real good 'brain rattlers' last summer. I think it's kind of like bicycle helmets -- takes a long while for the idea to catch on.

wakolman
11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I vote for the helmet.

River Rat
11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
After that guy in Dallas went into a coma after hitting his head on a standard W/W we bought helmets and all kids wear them behind my boat now.

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks guys!! i am hunting boards for my daughters who are 8 and one for my wife. i want to get the kids into it!! so i guess i will get them a helmet too.

tex
11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks guys!! i am hunting boards for my daughters who are 8 and one for my wife. i want to get the kids into it!! so i guess i will get them a helmet too.
Best way to get them to wear one...wear one yourself!

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Tex i will. I am too old to get hurt too bad!!
Should i get them with ear protection. after looking at a few on wakeside i remebered reading an article about one of the pros busting an eardrumm. that is permanent is it not?

tex
11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
You should wear one just to set an example. I don't wear one with ear protection but should. In all my years of show skiing I have seen a lot of ear drums wrecked. It's not fun.

ttu
11-15-2007, 11:17 AM
my son wore one for the last few summers, then this past may he went to a dave briscoe lesson. dave told him that they didn't help and have a tendacy to give you a "dunking" effect that can cause neck injuries.

so this summer he went all season w/o until he got knocked out in september. the next few sessions he started wearing it again.

RexDog1
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
This past summer I wore a helmet off and on…… I fell without the helmet on…. Broken eardrum and my back in two places, I did not know my back was broke because my ear hurt like a SOB, if I ever ride again? I will never ride without a helmet, yes it would have not helped my back but would save my eardrum…… and when I pull somebody in my boat they will have one on………….:)

Roonie's
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Next question...... any good web sites that have wakeboard helmets on them to look at and buy?

RexDog1
11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Next question...... any good web sites that have wakeboard helmets on them to look at and buy?

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/CTGY/wakeboarding_gear_helmets

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
www.wakeside.com
http://www.ski-it-again.com

tex
11-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Contact Lonnie at http://cinchmax.com/index.html
He had some really nice and reasonable ones at the Texas Fly In this year. If I didn't already have 4 helmets, I would have bought one on the spot. Still might!

tex
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Lonnie just emailed me this.

Mike, it's the Helmet that I sell. Very good value for the dollar. The Helmet has very good ear protection and is adjustable. Sells for $40.00 + shipping. I have a good size selection in stock.

"Number 1 source for CINCH and Sky Ski Products"
'Stay Seated and Enjoy the Flight!'

Lonnie Marchand
www.cinchmax.com
lonnie@cinchmax.com

He is great. You will not get any better customer service!

Lennyp04
11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Thought it would be a good idea after some of the falls Ive had. I got the Pro Tec Ace Wake helmet. It has the removable ear covers which are nice.

I tend to not use one when its early morning sets just because I am focused on riding and that helps me ride better then say 11 on a weekend where its not just riding that I need to worry about. Its other boaters too. The helmet is a very reassuring factor and may give you that extra boost to try something new.

Now I have been told when doing inverts the helmet, since it adds weight(not much) but still adds a little it can actually throw your neck in weird directions and tear "stuff" in your neck.

In my opinion Its better to wear it then not. Brain Damage can't be repaired but neck ligements can heal over time.

ShamrockIV
11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Well thanks for all ur input!! i should be receiving my 1st helmet in the mail this week!!

i am planing on getting a couple different sizes for my family plus any guests that we have!!!

TX.X-30 fan
11-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Is the jury still out on wearing helmets?? I have heard both sides before. I mean wakeboarding, not sliders, rails, or that stuff

jrhollow
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Roonie's, I picked up a helemet from Midwest Mastercraft last summer after I ruptured my eardrum.

ShamrockIV
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Which way were u leaning X30?

chaseandrews
11-21-2007, 11:23 AM
i would like to comment on this...... i think that when doing sliders or hitting obstacles, obviously a helmet is a good idea. for general riding it is not. The only time that it might help is if you fall and hit your head directly on the top of your head..... which is where your head is the strongest anyways.... any other fall any it just makes your head a larger surface area going into the water so you are more prone to a neck injury at that point. The water will hold the helmet back from going into the water faster than it would without a helmet causing neck injury. In our sport, during free riding, it is pointless (possibly even more dangerous).

it doesnt help at all with face plants which are probably 90% of beginner falls. once you know how to wakeboard the falls actually get easier because you know you are about to fall so you prepare..... anyways just my 2c.....

lassy
11-21-2007, 11:23 AM
i've only worn one when hitting rails and kickers.......

i don't believe they will help reduce the chance of getting say a concussion in any way...since it's the sudden stop that causes the brain to move and contact the inner skull and gives you the concussion....i'm not sure how much cushion the padding in a helmet gives a head going into water versus one without a helmet...but i can't imagine it'd make much of a difference. also, i think about doing a belly flop into a pool versus a dive. the belly flop has more contact area hitting the water (wearing a helmet).......and causes the body to encounter more force.......i think your neck would encounter more force with a helmet.

but i def. think having a helmet with ear flaps is good to reduce the risk of a busted ear drum.

it's all up to you....some wear one because they feel more comfy....different strokes for different folks

ShamrockIV
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I was more concerned with eardrums than anything else. i am military so ear problems might be an issue. thanks again!!

TX.X-30 fan
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
I have never worn one, then I am not prone to cutin loose with any railies!!!

JoshBuzz
11-22-2007, 09:36 PM
IMO Helmets are excessive when you're wakeboarding. You're at more of a risk wearing a comp vest instead of a USCG vest than you are without a helmet. Had a friend bust an eardrum recently and we had the helmet discussion and all decided we didn't need another thing to worry about when we're riding! For the youngins I would highly encourage helmet wearing just because they're so fragile and it would be a shame for something to happen to a neck or skull injury, but as for us, we go helemtless unless we're on kickers or sliders of course, which we don't do that often!!

We're involved in an extreme sport, it's called extreme for a reason, no matter how much protection you've got, you're still at risk!!

I have a friend that used to ride pro motocross in the 250 division, he was coming of a jump and someone hit him in mid-air and he broke his neck in a freak accident. even with all his gear he was paralyzed from the neck down, and is just now regaining motor skills!!

We know the risk and do it anyway, that's why we're not out golfing or shooting hoops!!

:D

ShamrockIV
12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
U say that joshbuzz but in the military we get more guys hurt( boken ankles, etc) playing basketball than any other way!!!

Life is an Extreme Sport!!

dapicatti
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Best way to get kids to wear them is let them decorate them with wakeboarding stickers, boat stickers etc. They will love their own unique helmet. Worked for us.

ShamrockIV
12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
true about the kids. that is my plan!!!