PDA

View Full Version : water from lower engine block

tyland1
11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Newbie needs some help. I just bought an '01 x-star and I'm winterizing it for the first time. I'm used to winterizing our '86 Nautique, so there are some similarities and some differences.

I pulled the drain plugs from the lower engine block on each side and hardly any water came out. I'm talking just a couple of drops here and there. On the Nautique a bunch of water always came out.

I'm trying to figure out if such a small amount of water is normal. After I test drove it and bought it, I trailered it for approx 400 miles. Can't imagine this has anything to do with the small amount of water from the lower engine block, but I'm now scratching my head.

I was able to get quite a bit of water out of the water pump hoses and the exhaust manifold hoses. Any thoughts?

WTRSK1R
11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Should have been a long stream of water. Maybe there is just a lack of air to allow the water out. Did you have the exhaust manifold hose open at the time to allow air in to the top of the water jacket at the same time water is flowing out? I agree that I would not expect trailering it would have any effect on the water in the block. Not sure what to suggest, but it sure does sound strange.

tyland1
11-15-2007, 12:47 AM
I had the exhaust hoses undone at the time I removed the lower drain plugs. I basically did everything in the exact order as called for by the owners' manual. Kinda strange to me.

tyland1
11-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Evidently this x-star has never been winterized, as I decided to take an awl and poke up in the lower drain plug area. After some light poking, I broke loose a bunch of blackish metal gunk that was blocking the drain hole. Problem solved. It was actually cloged on both sides, but after freeing up the hole, it drained just as it should have.

Leroy
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Incredibly I was about to suggest that. :rolleyes:

Not too common problem, but it happens.