PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm Bummed....

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
None of you know this, but I'm president of a local civic organization. We have a big pit smoke BBQ every year the Friday before Thanksgiving and cook somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 shoulders, buts, turkeys, and turkey breasts. Well, the fire marshall just shut us down due to a burning ban on the entire state of NC. The sad part is we have already ordered the meat. We haven't been able to contact our supplier since that info became available, so we are up in the air as to whether or not we will have to keep the meat. I'm pretty sure it will go bad if we do. I've called every person with a cooker I know. Every one of them is booked all the way through Thanksgiving ..... so darn... darn...darn......:mad:

Just frustrated:cool:

shepherd
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
That sucks. :mad: Can everyone just cook them in their ovens? I know it wouldn't be as good, but... :confused:

tex
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Call the local ice company and see if they have extra storage space! Call some of the BBQ places...you might be able to sell for a profit! Good luck!

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
That sucks. :mad: Can everyone just cook them in their ovens? I know it wouldn't be as good, but... :confused:

Thanks shep.. I even thought of selling the raw meat:rolleyes: One of those: "Hey YOU cook it" Then I thought um NO:o

Mikey
11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about that. It sounds like the fun police are out in full force. Hope it all works out with giving the meat back.

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Call the local ice company and see if they have extra storage space! Call some of the BBQ places...you might be able to sell for a profit! Good luck!

That made me think tex.. Heck the BBQ joint I worked for as a teenager is family(distant yet family) cooks over night, not during the day.. hmmmmmmm

1boarder
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
If all else fails, drive out of the area and cook it and drive back.

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about that. It sounds like the fun police are out in full force. Hope it all works out with giving the meat back.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the reason for the ban. I have no hard feelings toward the fire marshall. I don't want to be responsible for something like the devistation in CA..

I'm just crossing my fingers right now.. :confused:

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
If all else fails, drive out of the area and cook it and drive back.

I thought about that too.. I don't know of a location..

I got the call about 8:30pm.... Darn....... one of those plotting nights:(

Mikey
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, I respect the reason for the ban. I have no hard feelings toward the fire marshall. I don't want to be responsible for something like the devistation in CA..

I'm just crossing my fingers right now.. :confused:

I just dont see how a bbq pit that is surrounded by a bunch of people cooking could get out of control especially if you had a few fire extinguishers on hand. :confused: Or, maybe I just dont see the big picture.:o

Kyle's_prostar205
11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Just an idea from a resident fire fighter...Can you contact the local fire department and see if they will supervise your event when there is an open flame? If so try and see if the Fire Marshall will allow this supervision and allow you to have your feast. Out here in Colorado myself and the rest of my fire fighter buddies always love getting a chance to do our jobs but also interact with our local community. It is good public relations as well as the potential for some training with fire! We also do the same thing for the local high schools at home coming time. They usually set up a huge bon fire and we go and supervise and extinguish the blaze when the event is over.

Just my $0.2 worth! Either way I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Kyle Kreymborg

PS...Fire fighters LOVE BBQ!!! :)

mcrider
11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
i say just go ahead with the bbq. The fire marshal has told everyone in my area not to use fireworks on july 4, but everyone goes ahead and fires them off every year.

Mikey
11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
i say just go ahead with the bbq. The fire marshal has told everyone in my area not to use fireworks on july 4, but everyone goes ahead and fires them off every year.

Thats a great idea!:confused: I hope you were being sarcastic.

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:51 PM
I just dont see how a bbq pit that is surrounded by a bunch of people cooking could get out of control especially if you had a few fire extinguishers on hand. :confused: Or, maybe I just dont see the big picture.:o

Well, we cook with hard wood.. We have to build big @$$ fires inside of out door chimnies with a grate at the bottom to drop coals. The red hot coals we carry with a shovel to a 30 X 10 pit (4' cinderblock walls with steel doors and a grill set about 3 foot from the floor covered with Thick huge pieces of cardboard)

The problem is the burners.. They throw out a TON of small embers.. Thus a fire..

Mikey
11-14-2007, 11:54 PM
I see said the blind man.:) I thought you were talking about a charcoal bbq pit. Yeah, I understand where the fire marshall is coming from now. Hope everything works out.

Monte
11-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Just an idea from a resident fire fighter...Can you contact the local fire department and see if they will supervise your event when there is an open flame? If so try and see if the Fire Marshall will allow this supervision and allow you to have your feast. Out here in Colorado myself and the rest of my fire fighter buddies always love getting a chance to do our jobs but also interact with our local community. It is good public relations as well as the potential for some training with fire! We also do the same thing for the local high schools at home coming time. They usually set up a huge bon fire and we go and supervise and extinguish the blaze when the event is over.

Just my $0.2 worth! Either way I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Kyle Kreymborg

PS...Fire fighters LOVE BBQ!!! :)

Nah... They got shut down too... All of the local volunteer firefighters do the exact same thing at Thanksgiving.. As a matter of fact the first guy I called is one of the members of the local volunteer fd. He has a big industrial propane or charcoal (BIG BIG BIG) He is smoking fri, sat, sun, mon, tues, and wed to help only two of the Vol fd's (they called first:o )

Kyle's_prostar205
11-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Dang! Well if u can get the meat to Colorado we will get it cooked up for you! No fire bans around here till about next June! Good Luck!

Monte
11-15-2007, 12:00 AM

To be honest he said he wouldn't say a thing to us.. But, if we start a wildfire, whe forestry service WOULD have our REARS...:rolleyes: