PDA

View Full Version : The official "07-08 Hunting Season" thread

Mikey
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
There has been alot of talk of hunting in some other threads, and with season underway in some states and just getting ready to begin in others, lets get a thread going for a place to post pics and stories of your great hunts. Any species, any place, trophy's or not. Lets see em!:cool:

Ron Grover
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Here is the link to my pictures from pheasant hunting north of Pratt, KS. This is an annual event in my family. The hosts are my cousins and it is a big party and reunion. They farm a couple thousand acres and it is all ours on opening weekend, plus many thousand more of their friends that live out there. No shortage of birds or fun.

She has fashioned the inside of a barn into a bar. No drinking when hunting but in the evening when the sun goes down it gets almost college like. Where else do you find Grandma and granddaughter teamed up to play beer pong.

Haven't gotten around to posting lake pictures yet but feel free to look at all the others on the page too.

http://flickr.com/photos/15120866@N05/sets/

Ron

Plymouth Family Guy
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Here is a picture of what four guys and four english springer spaniels can do in thirty minutes in a field in southwestern North Dakota. We each entered the 80 acre field from a corner and followed our dogs until we had our limit. After this picture, we headed into the badlands of North Dakota to hunt sharptail grouse. We always have fun hunting in North Dakota.

ttu
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Here is the link to my pictures from pheasant hunting north of Pratt, KS. This is an annual event in my family. The hosts are my cousins and it is a big party and reunion. They farm a couple thousand acres and it is all ours on opening weekend, plus many thousand more of their friends that live out there. No shortage of birds or fun.

She has fashioned the inside of a barn into a bar. No drinking when hunting but in the evening when the sun goes down it gets almost college like. Where else do you find Grandma and granddaughter teamed up to play beer pong.

Haven't gotten around to posting lake pictures yet but feel free to look at all the others on the page too.

http://flickr.com/photos/15120866@N05/sets/

Ron

ron, who's place is that. i have a cousin who owns a hunting retreat in that area.

Mikey
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats pretty cool Plymouth! Someday Im gonna go after some pheasants. Ive hunted just about every other kind of bird, just never had the opportunity to go on a pheasant hunt.

Plymouth Family Guy
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Mikey, you definitely need to try it someday. There is nothing better than a dog flushing or pointing a rooster pheasant. The birds are so beautiful. Pheasant hunting is also a very good workout as you walk over a lot of ground looking for them. I've hunted almost every kind of bird, but I like pheasant hunting the best. My friends think I am crazy for driving many, many hours to chase my dog in a field looking for a bird!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-15-2007, 03:13 PM
There are hunting threads on the "darkside" too.

Ric
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
There are hunting threads on the "darkside" too. too much trouble to post pics on the dark side

SkiDog
11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I thought the Badlands were in South Dakota.:confused:

Plymouth Family Guy
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
The badlands are in both North Dakota and South Dakota. If you are really, really, really bored some time, you can go to www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/ndnotes/ndn12.htm and learn all about the bad lands of North Dakota.

Here is a picture of what it looks like in the area we bird hunt. The guy in the picture is my brother-in-law. He is holding two sharp tail grouse and a hungarian partridge.

88 PS190
11-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I've gone a few times for rooster pheasant but I do not have a dog (apartment in college and a jack russell at home) have pushed a few birds but have only managed to get hens up so far.

Have cracked a few tree rats so far with my browning .22

that's fun but not my passion.

Mikey
11-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Have cracked a few tree rats so far with my browning .22

that's fun but not my passion.

I do alot of that too. Its a blast for me. My boss loves to eat them and I like to shoot them so it works out good. I use a civilian M4 with a .22LR conversion kit. I get some crazy looks from other hunters in the woods when they see me walking around with a military style assault rifle.:D They dont realize its perfectly legal.:)

Mikey
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any good hunting stories or pics from the past weekend?

Datdude
11-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Not really a great story, but I got a decent 9 pointer yesterday:D . I will post pics next week when I go back to work

P-Rod
11-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I love this time of the year. Here are a few of the deer we bagged during our Colorado trip two weeks ago. Now that deer season is over, it is time to concentrate on the ducks and geese.:D

Mikey
11-22-2007, 06:34 PM
P-Rod, nice pic, What did those score? :cool:

Do yall hunt sea ducks out there in Cali?

P-Rod
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
P-Rod, nice pic, What did those score? :cool:

Do yall hunt sea ducks out there in Cali?

Ya know what, we didn't measure for score this year. It was such a great hunt that nobody wanted to out do each other. There were 9 guys in camp this year and 7 big mule's were taken all of similar size and quality. I am sure that we will find out when they come back from the taxidermist.

As far as the ducks go, I hunt in the Central Valley in flooded rice fields. We have lots of great hunts, especially on days with North winds blowing. Somedays it is unbelievable as to the quantity of ducks in the sky.

Datdude
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Here is a picture of my 9 pointer that I got on opening day:D . It looked a lot bigger before I made it dead. It's rack must have shrunk when it died.......apparently that is a common problem:rolleyes: :D

Mikey
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Datdude, There aint nothing wrong with that buck.:cool:

Maybe I shouldnt look at this thread, yall are making me jealous!:mad: :D

fintek9
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice buck there Datdude, I'll get mine up shortly...your one point up on mine!
But for now...gotta post one of my last years best!!:D

fintek9
11-27-2007, 03:50 PM

jbfootin
11-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I am jelous of all of those. My brother got a nice 8 pt, 16" spread, 170# buck, about 5 minutes into the season, and then we were shut out. We saw very few deer all season.:(

fintek9
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Mine this past Saturday eve, My boy taking pic said camera not working, I'm like what???...Flash.. cam goes off, I'm not ready...I falling backwards at time(stopped at freinds to show and had to much taqilya)
oh well:rolleyes:

fintek9
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
And heres one with the 6pt I took last week along w/ the sat. buck. still going to get the "Ol Mossy Back" 12pt that ran with these guys! getting closer every day. I hope to add his pic to this years album!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
And heres one with the 6pt I took last week along w/ the sat. buck. still going to get the "Ol Mossy Back" 12pt that ran with these guys! getting closer every day. I hope to add his pic to this years album!!!!

Do you plan on killing everything that moves???? Please leave some for our grandchildren!!! :mad:

fintek9
11-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Stu, Stu, Stu, I've pass on more bucks in the woods then with my truck on the road.
I've got a "boy in heaven" now bringing me more good luck to feed our family that is just mind boggling!
He is by my side more then ever now! For that I truely beleave..

Ric
11-28-2007, 08:55 AM
I love this time of the year. Here are a few of the deer we bagged during our Colorado trip two weeks ago. Now that deer season is over, it is time to concentrate on the ducks and geese.:D

29332 That looks like one damn good trip! Was that private land or a tough draw area or what?

drbesvold1
11-28-2007, 09:24 AM
not to bad for this year with no snow 9 pt

fintek9
11-28-2007, 11:54 AM
nice!!!!!!

stuartmcnair
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
of sunglasses do you wear when you hunt?

Mikey
11-28-2007, 12:29 PM
what kind of sunglasses do you wear when you hunt?

I guess that depends on what I am hunting.;) :D

I wear these while I hunt deer. The deer think they are so cool that they just stand there and stare at me in awe while I take them out.:cool:

chudson
11-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Ever see any of these?
These pictures came from a nephew in a email, I don't know if the email came from a friend of his or if it's just traveling the email circuit!!!

stuartmcnair
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Ever see any of these?
These pictures came from a nephew in a email, I don't know if the email came from a friend of his or if it's just traveling the email circuit!!!

I hear those make the best sausage...

dmayer84
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Ever see any of these?

I had one born in my front yard

Mikey
11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I saw a full grown albino once. It had some brown scattered throughout its body though. Kinda looked like a skinny cow.

P-Rod
12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
That looks like one damn good trip! Was that private land or a tough draw area or what?

Ric,

To answer your question, it was both. We put in and were drawn for private land tags in Colorado. The ranch we hunted consisted of 10,000 acres that also land locked public lands.

To say the least, this was a trip of a lifetime. I am used to seeing California deer, well, these deer are about 3 times the size of California deer. For example, 3 of the 7 deer taken, weighed in excess of 200 lbs dressed out, with racks that exceed 28" with the largest with a 31" spread.

Don
12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
I STILL THINK YOU SHOULD GIVE THE DEER A RIFLE AND MAKE IT A FAIR FIGHT!:uglyhamme

Mikey
12-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I STILL THINK YOU SHOULD GIVE THE DEER A RIFLE AND MAKE IT A FAIR FIGHT!:uglyhamme

Shouldnt you be out hugging a tree somewhere?:rolleyes:

River Rat
12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Here is my wife with her hill country 9 pt

Don
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Shouldnt you be out hugging a tree somewhere?:rolleyes:

Naaw.....just hide behind one while you and the deer shoot at each other...and root for the deer ;)

jbfootin
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
that is a good looking dear....i mean deer;) :D

Ric
12-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Naaw.....just hide behind one while you and the deer shoot at each other...and root for the deer ;) Let's not turn this into a gay thread.

slalomskifreak
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Where are you at in Hill Country?

Here is my 9 pt from the family farm in Missouri.

Don
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
One of those vicious, diseased, menacing threats....that wondered into our yard....consumed an apple a day and allot of weeds....oh yeah....need to arm ourselves against them.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/waterskicoach/dondeer1.jpg

River Rat
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Where are you at in Hill Country?

Here is my 9 pt from the family farm in Missouri.

We hunt just west of Junction, it's about a 6 hr drive from here

River Rat
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Don]One of those vicious, diseased, menacing threats....that wondered into our yard....consumed an apple a day and allot of weeds....oh yeah....need to arm ourselves against them.

Yea and tasty to:D

Mikey
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
One of those vicious, diseased, menacing threats....that wondered into our yard....consumed an apple a day and allot of weeds....oh yeah....need to arm ourselves against them.

Just one question and I will leave you alone. Are you a vegetarian?

jbfootin
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM

No one here said they were vicious, diseased or menacing threats. I enjoy watching deer as much as anyone. I dont go out in the woods to eradicate them from the earth. Most that I see while hunting, I simply watch them and enjoy it. When I lived in the country I fed the deer and knew many by sight like pets, but I also have no problem shooting a big enough one for meat when I am out hunting.

If you do not agree with it, or think we are evil because we hunt, well I guess that is your opinion that you have a right to, but most of us on this thread would rather you just look away and go to a different thread!

Don
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
There was no intent, on my part, to judge the deer hunters. This all started with a "smart-***" comment I made "give the deer a rifle and make it a fair fight". I have absolutely no problem with deer hunters that have the right approach toward the sport. Control the population, damage cause from wild life, etc, etc. I do have a problem with trophy hunters that go out for the soul purpose of killing an animal for the rack/trophy. I am no vegetarian and if I was starving, living in the woods, I would probably use what ever mean I could......beat a deer to death with a rock.....for a steak. :o

I guess it wasn't all that funny.......sorry if I started anything.

cbryan70
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I kinda sensed the sarcasm. So hunting is ok but looking for a big deer or a nice trophy buck isnt?

Ric
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
cool pic! , but they're no good on their own when they eat out of your hand...

ctehlert
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Here's a link for you WI folks. These are viewer photos submitted to WEAU in Eau Claire, so primarily deer taken in West Central Wisconsin.

http://www.weau.com/bragboard

My brother took a monster that's about 1/3 of the way down. 17 pointer, 17 1/2" spread, drop tine on the right, kicker point on the left, double split brow tines. Looks like he has a free head mount in the works. I should probably add that he was using my gun, and sitting in my stand...

Mikey
12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I should probably add that he was using my gun, and sitting in my stand...

Impressive buck for sure but I probably would have been a little pissed. I have a rule, nobody but me shoots a buck bigger than 8 point in my stand. It my sound kinda selfish but I put the time in scouting, putting the stand up, sitting countless hours waiting for a trophy buck, etc. Just sayin.

Davo
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I've got a "boy in heaven" now bringing me more good luck to feed our family that is just mind boggling!
He is by my side more then ever now! For that I truely beleave..

That's awesome. Congrats on some nice bucks. Did ya catch up with that 12?

I hunt in OH where you only get one buck tag so you gotta make it count. Didn't connect on a buck this year, but arrowed a 1.5-2.5 year old doe at 22 yards to stock the freezer. The first time I drew on her she looked right at me messin up the shot so I held still for what seemed like forever. I was shaking from the tension and about ready to let down when she finally turned away. I let down, re-drew the bow and the rest is history.

Those are some big ol' mulies posted up there!

ctehlert - there are some dandy bucks posted on that site....none better than your bros. Great mass on that buck...that left brow tine is huge. Amazing. Nice of you to hook him up like that....he's grinnin' ear to ear. (camo? we don't need no stinkin' camo - lol)

fintek9
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
That you with yours?? That's crazy, Love those monsters like that one! Once in a lifetime (hopefully not) but I'll put a nice doe in the freezer any day, not after bone but will if the opportunity comes along. Get lucky sometimes, Put alot of scouting though the year sometimes it pays off most times it don't, The big 12 pt went nocturnal on me, Which is nice, Spread some more good genes again.
In it solely for feeding the family, but bragging rights are nice some times:D

ctehlert
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm very happy for him. Along with my dad, we all scout together, hunt together etc. I was about 300 yards away, and that buck was actually coming between us, but I don't think I would have gotten a chance anyway. Since I shoot left-handed and that particular stand favors being right-handed, the choice was easy. He made a good shot in a tough situation, but didn't realize how big it really was until it turned towards him after being hit. Makes it a little easier on the nerves that way...

I took a 10 pointer about an hour later, but his made it seem tiny. We're in an Earn-a-Buck zone meaning that you have to take a doe to be able to shoot any buck. Fortunately a doe from the previous season counts.

Mikey
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I know there are some more hunting stories/pictures out there. Lets not let this thread die.

Plymouth Family Guy
12-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Picture from Southwestern North Dakota pheasant hunting trip this past weekend. I thought the picture of the birds in the tree row with the butte in the background was pretty cool. Almost all of these birds are roosters. Late season pheasants are hard to hunt. You have to sneak up on them the best you can and be ready for some long shots.

Plymouth Family Guy
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Here's a picture at sunset of pheasants flying into a field for the night this past Saturday in Southwest North Dakota. Not the best picture, but seeing hundreds of pheasants flying around was something I couldn't pass up. Those dots are not bugs on the windshield of the truck, they are pheasants, almost all roosters, looking for a spot to spend the night.

shepherd
12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I only hunt for stuff I can eat. I don't like venison, but redfish is OK!

Unfortunately, this one was oversized and had to go back. Catch and release is a waste of my time. :mad:

Mikey
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Dang shep, thats a nice Red. I like the ones with multiple tail spots.:cool: Where were you fishing at?

shepherd
12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
In the pass at Panama City. We've caught a few reds - mostly oversized - and an occasional grouper while trolling deep water lures there during the winter months.

(sorry for jacking your "hunting" thread )

Mikey
12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
(sorry for jacking your "hunting" thread )

No need to apologize.:cool: Post away!:)

Davo
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
I only hunt for stuff I can eat. I don't like venison, but redfish is OK!

Unfortunately, this one was oversized and had to go back. Catch and release is a waste of my time. :mad:

Heck, I wouldn't say catching reds like that one is a waste of time...had to be fun to wrangle that one in to the boat.

That's a sportsman's paradise 'round there with all the great fishing and hunting nearby.

I went fishing for speckled perch ("specks" "crappie") last Saturday on my buddy's lake....unfortunately, we caught more bass than speck. lol We showed my buddy's 3 y/o son how to clean and cook one and had a little snack. He was so excited.

Fishing and hunting isn't all about the harvest/catch....it's about enjoying the outdoors with friends and family and being a part of what ma nature has to offer (not just good eats 8p ).

Plymouth Family Guy
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Spent January 5 and 6 pheasant hunting southwest of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It was the last weekend of the 2007 pheasant season. Here's a picture of a couple birds I dropped on Saturday. The bird on the right was my biggest bird of the season.:)

Plymouth Family Guy
01-14-2008, 07:40 PM
My hunting seasons are officially over. The dog received his much deserved end of hunting season haircut today. Now we will just wait until the ice thaws and we can get back out in the Mastercraft.

88 PS190
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
it was a great weekend for it wasn't it?
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/hawkskier/katy.jpg

the last great question, how do you get a Jack Russell terrier to be a bird dog?

uawaterskier
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Well me and dad finally had a big weekend a 2 weekends ago. We killed 18 birds between the 2 of us in 2 days. They were mainly Gadwalls, with a couple of hen mallards, a blue bill (whoops), and a coot LOL. I dont know what was more funny. The look on dad's face after he went to get his "duck" (aka coot) or the look on mine after I shot that blue bill. Either way we had a blast, and it will probably be our last due to us ripping a hole in the bottom of the tin boat. Apparently a 70s tin boat+1/2"-3/4" ice= massive hole that will cause you to sink.

88 PS190
01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
ya ice is brutal, I got my aluminum boat to stop leaking (finally) using a torch and some of that aluminum welding rod stuff that's always advertised on late night tv.

Either way, it seals a rivet or crack pretty quickly and ends up being cheaper than using marinetex, or jbweld to do the same task. looks better too.

jbfootin
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Talking about fishing...My 6 yr old son LOVES to fish, and he wanted a book about fishing for christmas. We got him "The barefoot fisherman" and I have been reading it to him the last couple of nights. Great book for kids, but has some common sense tips that I am learning a few tips myself. Highly recomend this for anyone with kids that love fishing.

Oh...and only 44 more weeks to gun deer season......;)

drbesvold1
01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Deer Mounts 1 Is From 2004 The Other From 2006 Both 9 Pters

ctehlert
01-25-2008, 08:38 AM
My brother's buck (page 6...thanks for posting Davo) scored 193 6/8 non-typical B&C...record book is 195.

Still a trophy, no matter how you look at it. Score was higher than anticipated.