PDA

View Full Version : Anyone duck hunt?

cbryan70
11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Anyone do any duck hunting. starring at a pretty sweet john boat fully camo's with a 25hp 4 stroke on it. its a pretty smoking deal

Mikey
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I am a duck hunting addict. If I am lucky I may be home in time to catch the last week of season. The MC is put away before opening day of duck season every year no matter what the temperature is. I have only hunted in the south and last season was pretty low bird population. How has the duck population been in the midwest?

A 25hp on a Jon boat. WOW! That thing must haul @$$. I built a blind on my jon boat out of camo burlap and EMT Conduit. Turned out pretty good.

Good luck this season. Post some pics when you get some birds.

cbryan70
11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Its a 17 footer with mossyoak camo paint. I think it will do close to 30mph. I guess duck hunting has been very good. I know the pheasant hunting has been good from what i have heard. Cant beat the deer hunting tho one of my buddies just got a nice 10 pointer

SkiDog
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I used to be a fanatic about it. Till I went to Federal Court for shooting lead shot in a steel shot zone. Kinda got a case of the a$$ with it after that. That's one sport that VERY hard to do legally! I will be trying it again this year with the completion of my new hunting cabin. We got 800 acres in Pierce Co., Ga on the Satilla river with a nice little secluded pond that just begs the WoodDucks to come in. Gonna build me a small blind and see what happens. Best of all, I can wake up just before dawn, leave the cabin, and be in the blind within about 10 minutes! It don't get any better than that!:D

Leroy
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
My brother in laws do in southern Indiana and TN and they say over the past several years the duck population is really down.

Mikey
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Must be nice Skidog.:)

My duck hunting morning starts off at about 3:45am with a 30 min drive to the river, then another 20-30 min boat ride, then another hour or so setting up temp blind and setting out decoys and being ready for legal shooting hours. Many cold mornings sitting there thinking to myself is it really worth it? Just then a group of big ole green heads come in and cup their wings..... Hammertime!!! As Im out in the water wading around picking them up I answer myself, hell yeah its worth it.:cool:

mcrider
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Must be nice Skidog.:)

My duck hunting morning starts off at about 3:45am :cool:

Thats way too early for me

uawaterskier
11-14-2007, 12:32 AM
......^---duck hunter with a leaky 15 hp v bottom john boat lol

chevy08bud
11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Haven't been out this year yet. The ducks haven't come down yet..not cold enough. Talked to a couple of buddies around here that have been out and have not seen much at all. Once the cold weather makes a hard push, they'll come on down and I'll be waiting for them.

jbfootin
11-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I love playing it on my old nintendo system....That damn dog laghing when you miss pi$$es me off though;)

Ric
11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I used to do quite alot of duck hunting. outfitters and leases in this area, in addition to regulations turned me off to the whole thing. We actually leased a piece of property for $10k one year and the sob never put water on the place... needless to say, it got ugly and we never really got our money or pride back after that:o
Would not mind hunting for a greater canadian once though. That's something I have not done.

bucky
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I hunt every off day, but the last 3 years in Ok were record dry, no birds. This year, it looks like we got 3 years of rain all at once. Holding my breath for the next free morning.

Plymouth Family Guy
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I enjoy duck hunting and do it at least once or twice each fall. I have hunted them in Minnesota, North Dakota and Illinois within the last five years. Back in October, three of us were hunting some land in central North Dakota. There were natural grass fields holding pheasants along with sloughs full of ducks. I was walking through the grass to get to the edge of a slough when my dog flushed a pheasant. I dropped the pheasant but the sound of the gun caused a group of ducks to get up 40 yards from me. I was able to drop one of the ducks. This for me was a first, a double of a pheasant and a duck. I shoot an over/under shotgun so I only have two shots available at a time. Here's a picture of my dog and me with the pheasant and duck, a male redhead.

Mikey
11-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I hunt every off day, but the last 3 years in Ok were record dry, no birds. This year, it looks like we got 3 years of rain all at once. Holding my breath for the next free morning.

I did pretty good in Oklahoma last year. Never took us more than 30min to an hour to kill a limit. Plenty of ducks where I was at. :D Here are some pics.

Mikey
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
One more pic from Oklahoma. 6 of us killed a limit and one Canadian in less than a half hour.:cool:

Ric
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
mikey are you the dude that has a fish on his shirt?

Mikey
11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
mikey are you the dude that has a fish on his shirt?

Nope, thats my good buddy JP. I am all the way to the right.

east tx skier
11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Here's a picture from my last duck hunt.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/b/b0/Duck_hunt_screenshot.png

bucky
11-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Rub it in, why don't ya. What part of Ok was that? We didn't get much snow last year.
One more pic from Oklahoma. 6 of us killed a limit and one Canadian in less than a half hour.:cool:

Mikey
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Rub it in, why don't ya. What part of Ok was that? We didn't get much snow last year.

It was in the small south central town of Sulphur. It was back in January when the big ice storm hit north texas/oklahoma. Here is a picture of my car from that weekend that I was there.

Monte
11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
It was in the small south central town of Sulphur. It was back in January when the big ice storm hit north texas/oklahoma. Here is a picture of my car from that weekend that I was there.

That ride is CHILL;) :noface:

Sometimes I cannot help myself:rolleyes:

Mikey
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone killin any ducks?

TMCNo1
11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I used up a roll of duck tape tonight, does that count?

lanier92prostar
11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I wish I could go, I haven't been duck hunting in years. I used to hunt alot when I lived in SE Georgia because there was nothing else to do.

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm an avid waterfowl and pheasant hunter. We hunt at least 1-2 mornings every week. After a miserable opening day, this has been a phenomenal season....have had several bag limits. I'll post some pics soon.....got a buddy dropping some off in the next couple days of my 1.5yr old lab in action.....highlight of the season was 3 of us doubling on one flock and my lab doing the retriever relay 6x while we were working the next flock into the dekes.....wish we had video.....we had 'em circling but they wouldn't commit with him running back and forth from the blind to retrieve....strong winds kept us from leaving the downed birds lay without them washing away.

Its the last weekend in the WI season.....8 degrees in the forcast for Saturday morning.....we'll be breakin' ice!!

uawaterskier
11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
went opening day and only shot one bird. The season opens back up in either this weekend or next

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 06:18 PM
A few pics taken from a bluff above one of our blinds about 3 weeks ago...

Picture didn't reduce very clear, but there are five different flocks in view......we're guessing we had 300 ducks decoy within a 2 hour span and really had to pick and choose to get our mixed bag limits...

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Coming in low...

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Picking up in the aftermath.....we limited in a 1/2 hour, including me having a single shot triple :cool:

Mikey
11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
JohnnyB, what kind of mixed bags are you getting up there? Divers, Puddlers, ?

JohnnyB
11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
On that day, Bluebills (Lesser Scaup), Goldeneyes, Bufflehead, Mallards, a hooded merganser.

Deer hunting took up the last couple of weekends. Right now there are some remaining Bluebills and Bufflehead and the late mallards (fat, triple curl tails) have shown up.....hopefully will get one more good hunt on Saturday.

uawaterskier
12-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Picking up in the aftermath.....we limited in a 1/2 hour, including me having a single shot triple :cool:
not even fair. We would have bagged a lot more opening day, but there were some Bubbas fairly close to where we were at that highballed EVERYTHING that flew within 600 yards

Mikey
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
not even fair. We would have bagged a lot more opening day, but there were some Bubbas fairly close to where we were at that highballed EVERYTHING that flew within 600 yards

Nothing worse than setting up thinking you have a prime spot only to be dissapointed when somebody starts shooting too close to you. :mad:

I always get out extra early to get a good spot. One morning last year I was all set up and some guys came into the same spot kinda late. They asked me to leave because they said its their spot that they hunted there every weekend. Funny thing is it is public land and I had hunted that spot every weekend and had never seen them before. But being the nice guy that I am I invited them to hunt with me since I was by myself and there are usually plenty of ducks for everyone. They declined and callmed a jerk anyways. They said fine have it your way, and I didnt think anything else about it. Well as soon as the sun came up the @$$holes were hiding around the corner and started shooting at every group of birds that I had circling. I went over to have a few words with them and as soon as they saw me they jumped in the boat and hauled @$$. Damn cowards! Probably a good thing since I was alone. Oh the joys of hunting public land.:noface: :mad:

uawaterskier
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Nothing worse than setting up thinking you have a prime spot only to be dissapointed when somebody starts shooting too close to you. :mad:

I always get out extra early to get a good spot. One morning last year I was all set up and some guys came into the same spot kinda late. They asked me to leave because they said its their spot that they hunted there every weekend. Funny thing is it is public land and I had hunted that spot every weekend and had never seen them before. But being the nice guy that I am I invited them to hunt with me since I was by myself and there are usually plenty of ducks for everyone. They declined and callmed a jerk anyways. They said fine have it your way, and I didnt think anything else about it. Well as soon as the sun came up the @$$holes were hiding around the corner and started shooting at every group of birds that I had circling. I went over to have a few words with them and as soon as they saw me they jumped in the boat and hauled @$$. Damn cowards! Probably a good thing since I was alone. Oh the joys of hunting public land.:noface: :mad:
yeah thats always the worst. these guys were total tools though. they would all fire off 3 shots a piece then start calling:D . Best was one time I heard one of them say "get ready theyre coming back" LMAO.

JohnnyB
12-02-2007, 11:09 AM
This is a picture that was taken during this years youth hunt. We took a hunting partner of mine's nephew on the hunt and his dad sat in the cat-tails nearbye and snapped some pics.

This is my lab Murphy looking out of one of our blinds....i'll post more when I get the rest of the pictures from them....we got some video of the outing too. Very cool to see the muzzle blast in the dark right at shooting time

JohnnyB
12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Here's another....Jason had a pretty cool camera with a great zoom...

JohnnyB
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Recently, we got permission to hunt some private land. It was actually the land we hunted from in my previous diver pictures. It's on the base of a peninusula. We probably set 6 doz diver dekes, 4 doz mallard dekes and were running two Mojo's. About the time we were finishing our setup (about a 1/2 hour before sunrise), a group came in on the adjacent property north of us and haphazardly threw out a couple dozen divers. When the hunting started, as the ducks skimmed the shorline from the south, they all sucked into our spread. As we got close to our limit and the other guys hadn't pulled the trigger yet, we walked over and invited them to hunt with us saying....."we kind of cut you off this morning, but we seem to have our spread set up right today. You guys want to come sit with us"

They were kind of grumpy about it and declined. We parted saying "start pass shooting at the stuff going bye you so you get some ducks, too....throw some steel in the air"

When we were loading our trucks after the hunt, the grumpiest of the guys stopped, introduced himself and his sons, thanked us for the invite, told us where there cabin was in relation to the properties and said "if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to stop bye". He sat on the tailgate of my truck and BS'd with us for at least a half-hour while we packed our stuff up and cleaned up.

I think after we left our discussion in their blind, they realized we were really sincere in our offer and thought better of us.

JohnnyB
12-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Yesterday morning's hunt was 7 deg at the 6:34am opening. Everything in the area was frozen except for a fast-moving stretch of river. We sat 'til 9am and picked up a red-head and two immature drake mallards.

We saw at least 30 flocks of 40-50 mallards.....all sky high and traveling somewhere in a hurry!!! Didn't even give us a look.

We decided that it was going to be a slow day so we packed our dekes up and went pheasant hunting in the falling snow....beautiful day :cool: