PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help w/ reading gas guage!

GreenSpirit Hydro
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
So I just bought an x-star. Loving the boat, hating to pay $3.40 a gallon at the marina. Anyway, I am nervous I am going to run out of gas while riding and was looking for tips on judging the gas levels. Last week we filled up, rode about 30 minutes (15 of those minutes were in NO wake zones) to find non choppy riding conditions. I got in 1 set another friend did a set and the boat showed 1/2 a tank. I think a max of 2-2.5 hrs had elapsed since we took off. Rather than run out of gas on the return we headed back to the marina. I think we probably had lots of has (at least more than 1/2 tank) but I am not sure how to really judge it yet. Any ideas?

ShamrockIV
11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I have a prostar 205. Sounds like you are using a ton of fuel!! how much weight are u adding? i am no mathmatician, but the more weight uses more fuel!!i ahve heard alot on here about running out and ruining the fuel pump. That said i would not feel worried about going at least to a quarter tank or below!! Sorry if i was not helpful!!

GreenSpirit Hydro
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
The question I was presenting really was about the fact the boat is moving and swaying so the gas gauge is moving too, not exactly giving the user a clear picture of how much gas is really available.

ShamrockIV
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
sorry u are prob right. but i am sure you would be surprised how well MC has anticipated this and tried to remedy. If that i an issue then read it when u stop for a few.

yippikaiyay
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I go by my hours. Because we basically use the boat the same way (ie slalom and w'boarding) all summer long, I fill up in the 6 to 7 hour range.

Maristar210
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
The gas gauge will read full most times until the fuel level reaches about a half a tank then it starts to drop and soon disappears of the face of the earth. (Another story all together).

What I recomment is looking visually at the gas tank by unscrewing the cover to the drain you can visibly see the tank. Rock the boat a little to see the gas move to verify the height and do not run it too low or out of fuel as it fries the fuel pump in most cases.

Good luck and nice boat !!!!!

Maristar210
11-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Double post, sorry...

AirJunky
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
The only descent gas guage on my 205 was the flag. Open the tank & stick the flag in there & see how deep the gas is. The guage on the dash was rarely the same two days in a row.

1boarder
11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
The smaller boats use roughly 3-5 gallons an hour, depending on how you use it. My X1 used roughly 4 gallons an hour. If you have an older xstar, you would be around these numbers. For the newer xstar, I would only guess 5-10 gallons an hour depending on if you are loaded and what engine you have. Someone with a xstar can give you a ball park gallons per hour for a certain engine.

Ben
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
The question I was presenting really was about the fact the boat is moving and swaying so the gas gauge is moving too, not exactly giving the user a clear picture of how much gas is really available.

Can you check the level while swapping riders? I would think at that point, the gage would not be moving too much.

JoshBuzz
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
As soon as it hit's E, drop weight, and run to the Marina!!

:D

that's the only gauge you need!!

cbryan70
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
3 to 5 gallons an hour man i would be out of gas in three hours if it was 5 gallons an hour! My avg rule of thumb is about 7 gallons every 3 hours depending how im running. Surprisinly my fuel gauge is pretty accurate at the lower levels. Once it was showing E i went it and good thing i did becuase when i filled up my 14 gallon gas tank i put a little over 14 in it.