PDA

View Full Version : Coating on oil pan

87MCProstar
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
anybody know what it is? rebuilding motor and want to have a heads up when time to put back together.

JLeuck64
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Probably should give us a photo to look at.

Otherwise some of the WisenHeimers on this board might start joking around with your post. I'll give ya an example, Oil coats the inside of the pan and paint coats the outside...
( =

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Looks like that gravel guard stuff on automobile rocker panels. I guess, to keep the rock chips from showing up if you ever run the boat aground!

87MCProstar
11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
its kinda like that gravel guard, but seems to be more plasticy?? almost like it could have been a rubbery at a point in time.

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 04:04 PM
its kinda like that gravel guard, but seems to be more plasticy?? almost like it could have been a rubbery at a point in time.

I think it's a this glossy type paint Indmar used on the engines of that era to resist moisture, rust and corrosion, Therefore the oil pan and the lower portion of the engine that was more likely to encounter water from the bilge was coated a little heavier. The engines also had a very heavy application of what appeared to be something like WD40 that made the engine quite oily and as the engine aged, got hot, then cold, it got tougher and somewhat stickier. That is at least the way mine did. I used a rag with Armor-All early on when the engine was hot that seemed to dissolve the sticky oily film yet left it shiney. When dust/pollen settled on the engine, a rag with a light amount of protectant would remove the dust and stuff and restore the protection and shine.

88 PS190
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
You've seen what happens to the old crap they used so why replicate the coating?

Just use a high quality engine paint for it, and she'll look good!

Its an oil pan, not a concourse restoration.