PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Refurbish? Color?

BrianM
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
So the frame of my trailer is begining to look a little ratty. Rust spots from stone chips and big rusty spots where all of the drain holes and light holes, other holes are. The trailer is not in horrible shape but definitely doesn't look as good as the boat. Fiberglass fenders are excellent so no need to do anything there. I have a quote from someone local to blast and repaint the frame which is really all it needs. I can not find anyone near me that can powdercoat something this large so that is out.

The question I put to you is this... I am thinking that if I redo it I might paint the trailer frame something other than white. Either Reuben Red or Nite Navy to match the stripe on the boat. Fenders will stay white gel as they are. I kind of like the two tone look that I have seen on some of the newer trailers.

Anyone that is good with Photoshop care to doctor this photo for me to give me a look at what it will look like red and blue (again leaving fenders white)?

sethro
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I definitely say keep it white with perhaps the pin stripe in red...or I would trade you straight up far a galvanized 5-Star trailer.:D :D

east tx skier
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd keep her white, too.

BrianM
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Where's Farmer. Isn't he the Photoshop guy? I need to see it in the other colors.

east tx skier
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Careful, he might photoshop a tower on there if you give him too much latitude

mcrider
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
i'd go for the red with white fenders... i had the same colors on my 95 ps190 and the red trailer looked really nice

TMCNo1
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Red!~ Remember rust is near the color of red so if some rust does appear from rock chips, scratches, scrapes it is not as noticable and easier to touch up. Use a red that is very close to the boat color yet can be bought in spray cans that match from Krylon, Dupli-Color, Ace Hardware, etc. Have the body shop prime it with Urethane Primer and color it with High Gloss Urethane 1 coat single application, (Not basecoat/clearcoat).

Slinkyredfoot
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Red!~ Remember rust is near the color of red so if some rust does appear from rock chips, scratches, scrapes it is not as noticable and easier to touch up. Use a red that is very close to the boat color yet can be bought in spray cans that match from Krylon, Dupli-Color, Ace Hardware, etc. Have the body shop prime it with Urethane Primer and color it with High Gloss Urethane 1 coat single application, (Not basecoat/clearcoat).

Great knowlege Harold...ya gonna pinstripe it for him for free after he does all of this??

BrianM
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Red!~ Remember rust is near the color of red so if some rust does appear from rock chips, scratches, scrapes it is not as noticable and easier to touch up. Use a red that is very close to the boat color yet can be bought in spray cans that match from Krylon, Dupli-Color, Ace Hardware, etc. Have the body shop prime it with Urethane Primer and color it with High Gloss Urethane 1 coat single application, (Not basecoat/clearcoat). Those were my thoughts. The place I got the quote from does an industrial urethane primer and a high gloss urethane top coat. They mostly do work for offshore oil rigs and such. They had a trailer in when I was there (white) and it looked good.

TMCNo1
11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Great knowlege Harold...ya gonna pinstripe it for him for free after he does all of this??

See my location in post heading, Louisiana needs a stripe across it too!:D

I'm lefthanded, so I'll have to do the starboard side of the trailer first!:rolleyes:

Slinkyredfoot
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM
See my location in post heading, Louisiana needs a stripe across it too!:D

I'm lefthanded, so I'll have to do the starboard side of the trailer first!:rolleyes:

Your just to busy being fabulous Harold, since I a righty, I will do the port...

BuzzSr
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd go all red, fenders and all. Then you could pin strip w/grey or white.

Lennyp04
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
The way it is looks nice maybe just an accent pinstripe or two

TMCNo1
11-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Your just to busy being fabulous Harold, since I a righty, I will do the port...

I need a willing student or 5!
We just can't have any scantley clad women around when we work, the paint tends to get hard in our brushes!:rolleyes: :D

BrianM
11-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd go all red, fenders and all. Then you could pin strip w/grey or white.
Not an option. The fenders are perfect. I am not going to the expense to redo them for no reason.

Sodar
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I was thinking of doing my 190 with a green trailer and white fenders.... until I saw my neighbor with the same boat as you who had done a red trailer with white fenders. It really did look bad and was the reason why I decided to go with white on white when I redid mine. The colored trailer and white fenders is much to stark a contrast and really does not coordinate as well as you would think

Do Not Go With A Colored Trailer And White Fenders!!!!

BrianM
11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know. I need a photoshop job. Farmer help me out here. I have pretty much ruled out blue but I a leaning red. I kind of like the contrast.

Sodar
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't know. I need a photoshop job. Farmer help me out here. I have pretty much ruled out blue but I a leaning red. I kind of like the contrast.

I will see if my neighbor is home and take a picture of his. He has the SAME boat as yours, only difference is that it is on a tandem axle

BrianM
11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I will see if my neighbor is home and take a picture of his. He has the SAME boat as yours, only difference is that it is on a tandem axle
That would be awesome! Thanks Sodar.

This is my fairly bad Photoshop job. A photo of the real thing would be SO much better.

Ric
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
that navy color sounds like it would look great with that boat!

Ric
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
whaoh! I was not paying attention... if you are not painting the fenders then this refurb must be white paint on the trailer. End of story. Period.

TMCNo1
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
That would be awesome! Thanks Sodar.

This is my fairly bad Photoshop job. A photo of the real thing would be SO much better.

That looks OK, IMO, but for the extra bucks, I'd paint the fenders too. I just had to see a picture first. Just for the giggles of it, Photoshop the fenders in Red too, on another pic and see how different it will look. Just curious.

east tx skier
11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
whaoh! I was not paying attention... if you are not painting the fenders then this refurb must be white paint on the trailer. End of story. Period.

I'll iterate my first post and second what Ric said. I think it looks great if it's all red, but the two toned just doesn't look as good to me as all white.

stuartmcnair
11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
matching the grey in the boat and painting the trailer like that...would look like a shadow

SDAhockey21
11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Well I must have a good memory because....... I remembered seeing this on New Dimensions site. I could say I photoshoped it..... But I wont:D

I don't Like It. IMO its either all red or all white. No half on half off. But hey its your boat?!?!

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/mastercraft/images/1995-1997_Prostar_190.jpg

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/mastercraft/images/1995-1997_Prostar_190_angle.jpg

SDAhockey21
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Just To Compare!!!:D :D

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2677.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2678.jpg

Sodar
11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Sweet! Guess I am off the hook! It is just as ugly as I remember! :D

TX.X-30 fan
11-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Just To Compare!!!:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2677.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2678.jpg

Where do you sit up front?????????? :confused: 8p

BrianM
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
It is just as ugly as I remember! :D
I agree. After seeing the real thing it looks fuglier than my Photoshop job. Would have to be white. Thanks guys.

SDAhockey21
11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Where do you sit up front?????????? :confused: 8p

I tie tubes to that little ring in front 8p

No need to sit up there when you can RIDE up there!!!:cool:

thijs
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
I retract my vote for navy. I should have looked at the photo first. I now vote White.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
My vote:
White w/White.
Then bring it to TMCNo1 for some custom red pin striping.

JohnE
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
No offense to anyone meant, but I don't like the white trailers. I had one and hated it. I'd go navy. Or red. I don't care for the 2 tone myself. But it looks like you are staying white anyway.

TMCNo1
11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
No offense to anyone meant, but I don't like the white trailers. I had one and hated it. I'd go navy. Or red. I don't care for the 2 tone myself. But it looks like you are staying white anyway.

You said it JohnE!
Us old folks just want White cars and Green AstroTurf on the front porch!:D

Sodar
11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
White is right....

Bruce
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I wasn't going to comment Brian until I saw your decision to go white. White=classy two tone=tacky. Just an opinion. My trailer (which is white) is here when you need it as we discussed.