PDA

View Full Version : Boat US tests fuel filling products

DanC
03-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Super article for all you folks beating on Mastercraft about the lousy fuel filling design. We are not alone.

www.boatus.com/foundation

One very important point. There are two types of filling systems, seperate vent lines and vented deck fills.
Bottom line. The Racor model LG-100 fuel/air seperator worked every time (not the Racor model LG-50) for those with seperate vent lines.
For those of us with newer boats and the vented deck fills, we are screwed. :mad:

The vented deck fill is a good concept, but we only recommend these products if you use them with caution. The vented deck fills did not promote backsplash as much as some of the inline separators did, but we were surprised by the fuel that found its way onto our decks. .........In general, we found that while refueling at 10 gpm, the amount of fuel from the venting process wasn’t significant enough to trip the auto shut-off fuel nozzles. Many times, the auto-stop feature disengaged just as the fuel reached the top of the deck fill, so the spills were contained to only a few ounces. However, none of the devices tolerated the high-speed fuel delivery at 20 gpm and sometimes spilled as much as a cup or more from the deck fill. Fuel would often continue to gurgle up and onto the deck, even after the nozzle clicked off. Additionally, because these deck fills have integrated vents, the nozzle opening was snug which made them prone to misting the deck with fine droplets of fuel.
As with the inline separators, we’ve learned you should never rely on the auto-stop nozzle triggering off in time. You will want to use an absorbent fuel collar, bib or pad to catch droplets, but do keep in mind this will restrict your ability to see what’s happening in and around the vent area. Also, always fuel slowly as you reach the top of your tanks.
unquote

Thrall
03-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Sounds like the official solution is "fill 'er up at half speed, wrap a rag around the filler nozzle, and listen for the tank to top off."

sfitzgerald351
03-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I discovered the hard way that I need to keep an eye on the tank. Now I just fill at the slowest speed and the nozzle clicks off automatically right when it should. I don't think I've ever been able to fuel a boat at high speed.