PDA

View Full Version : Maristar Engine Cover w Electric Lift - Anyone modify it?

jbanczak
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Okay - so we have a 1999 230VRS and pretty much think it is the greatest thing ever, except for the engine cover mechanism. Curious if anyone has ever tried to modify it? Here are my thoughts:

1) Is there anything after-market that can be put in that is faster?

2) Has anyone removed it and just gone manual?

3) Any tips/tricks for maintaining it? lubrication?

We actually pulled it out and did it manually all summer. I tracked down the manufacturer of the gas spring and purchased a couple more powerful springs - worked great for a while... however if you get a powerful enough spring to hold it open, the spring actually pushes hard enough against the cover and over the course of a few months actually bent the hinges.... Not good. So it really wouldn't open or close effectively.

I am thinking that there must be something to make this faster/easier/more fail-safe/etc. like some more powerful hydraulic instead of electric. Would be interested in thoughts.

Bruce
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a 1999 230VRS as well. Like you I wouldn't have anything else. Is you hatch power system original? Mine works great. Not that slow just nice and steady.

dpolen
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Man, I hope somebody has a great fix...I'm with jbanczak, I love my boat, but fixing that inexpensively would be the best thing I could do to my boat. Mine is slow too.

OhioProstar
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.boatownersworld.com/uflex/ap500_hatch_lifters.htm

Google "hatch lifting" or "hydraulic hatch lift" and you should see a number of options.

jbanczak
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Those look like good options - might have to check one out. I'm going to try and find some reviews on them - no point in getting something that is the same speed!

The link that you included does have a big advantage though - can be opened if power goes out...

Bruce
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Again I ask is yours original equip? Have you checked with MC? How slow is slow? If you loose power the battery is accessible without lifting the hatch so that should not be a concern.

jbanczak
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry - yes, it appears to be original. The boat only has 300hrs on it. I am worried about it going bust - it sounds pretty awful right now. I rigged a dual-battery system with perko under the stern port seat so that isn't a problem.

Slow meaning it takes 30 seconds to get it open enough to pull something out, maybe a minute to get it to the point where you can really access it.

Bruce
11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Sorry - yes, it appears to be original. The boat only has 300hrs on it. I am worried about it going bust - it sounds pretty awful right now. I rigged a dual-battery system with perko under the stern port seat so that isn't a problem.

Slow meaning it takes 30 seconds to get it open enough to pull something out, maybe a minute to get it to the point where you can really access it.

Can you tell if it is the hydraulic lift or the motor that drives it? I am mechanically challenged but I am surprised that with all the expertise we have on this board that some one has not come forward with the right answer. Although mine worked fine I have worried the "what ifs" I sometime leave it open a few inches just in case.

Sodar
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
The hatch actuator is a screw type. (Stock MC). Even when the screw type actuators are out of the box, they sound slow and almost like they are whining to get the hatch open. If speed and sound REALLY matters to you, there ARE alternatives and most come from the high performance boat scene. Dana Marine products makes a hinge/hatch lift combo that is pricey, but very fast, quite and solid. (http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=14&catid=145&productid=85&CFID=362371&CFTOKEN=69838147.) Also, what is nice about these, is it comes with a bypass valve, that you mount somewhere hidden in a gunnel or under the rear seat, that allows you to lift the hatch with no power to the boat. If you are not looking to spend $1300 on a new system, they also have the best electrical screw type actuators. They are the quickest and quietest I have seen.http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=14&catid=144&productid=1471&CFID=362371&CFTOKEN=69838147

Bruce
11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
The hatch actuator is a screw type. (Stock MC). Even when the screw type actuators are out of the box, they sound slow and almost like they are whining to get the hatch open. If speed and sound REALLY matters to you, there ARE alternatives and most come from the high performance boat scene. Dana Marine products makes a hinge/hatch lift combo that is pricey, but very fast, quite and solid. (http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=14&catid=145&productid=85&CFID=362371&CFTOKEN=69838147.) Also, what is nice about these, is it comes with a bypass valve, that you mount somewhere hidden in a gunnel or under the rear seat, that allows you to lift the hatch with no power to the boat. If you are not looking to spend $1300 on a new system, they also have the best electrical screw type actuators. They are the quickest and quietest I have seen.http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=14&catid=144&productid=1471&CFID=362371&CFTOKEN=69838147

I knew someone would step up and help him! Thanks Sodar. Like you a little noise would not bother me and speed is relative but, he deserved an answer.

jbanczak
11-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks - appreciate the answer. It didn't bother me for a while, but it has gotten really loud, and slower over time. If I was a betting man, and I am, it sounds like it is going to go out/self-destruct at some point now, and I'd rather replace it before that happens!

I'm going to grab one of the Dana products above - thanks again!