PDA

View Full Version : Trouble loading a 89 PS 190

alletric
11-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Is anybody on here able to drive a late 80's PS 190 on a stock matercraft trailer? The problem that I have is that is does not want to center and the rear wants to come around and put the prop near the protective cage. While it is wanting to do this it is almost impossible to get it to line up with the keeper rolle that has been added on the front of the boat. I am deepin the water to keep the prop from hitting the trailer. Also when I am this deep the nose gets caught under the front roller that was added to the trailer. I just started winching the boat on and have not given it much thought until today when i went with my friend to get his Brendella from the lake. His trailer is a Custom Hauler with the two paddles on the front that center the boat at the rub rail. He ran it right up on there and pulled out without a problem. We had about two inches of fender out of the water. I have tried it with my boat at this same depth with my boat and trailer and it is just impossible to get it in that front roller. The other problem is that on a shallow ramp the prop will hit the tailer as when it is on the trailer the prop hangs below the rear cage. I realize that it came this way but it seems a little silly that it would hit on a shallow ramp. You would think as long as I have had this boat i would have figured this out by now. Thanks for telling dummy what to do.

cbryan70
11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Your prop guard is hitting the ramp or your prop is hitting the prop guard when you are pulling up? you should have the tops of your trailer fenders our of the water. Some times your whole bunk will not be in the water. It seems like you are putting the trailer in to deep to the point where your boat is not hitting the bunks at all to center the trailer.

BrianM
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
You have the trailer in too deep. Depending on how steep the ramp is will determine depth. I used to load my '88 on a pretty steep ramp. I had to have the top 1" of tire out of the water to load right on the ramp. Dunk the bunks completely first and then pull up so that you have a little water lube on the carpet. Those late 80s trailers can be a little finicky.

alletric
11-11-2007, 06:19 PM
If I have the boat that far out of the water so that the bunks center the boat the prop is dangerouly close to the cage. It will scrape it. On his trailer it will not. His bunks sit higher in relation to the frame. Everthing is stock on my trailer. The two options that I see are to lower the cage or raise the bunks. Right now the bunks are mounted to the frame rails. Practicing is hard to do with a $500 prop being the gauge.

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 06:24 PM
We have a '89 and never had any problem what so ever with the bar, or with the Boat Buddy we have now, on steep ramps or shallow. Is your rudder straight when you hit the trailer. Another thing, set your tongue of the trailer up to be approximately 18" from the pavement to the top of the ball, if it's not already. I do not understand how you can get into the propguard or the trailer frame with the prop if the guide bars are straight up and long enough.

alletric
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I'll get it all out eventually. The example today is obiously a very shallow ramp. With the add on keeper/roller when you go to a steeper ramp the tip of the bow wants to come up under the roller. So i have to have the trailer far enough out of the water so that the bunks help center the boat and the tip comes above the roller. Then the boat and the trailer are at the same angle and the prop wants to hit the rear cage. This is getting confusing. I'm thinking that the roller is the problem and is not allowing me to load on a steep enough ramp so that the back end floats enough to clear the rear cage. I will take a picture of my setup and then you can tell me which way to go. Hold on a minute.

alletric
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking that the roller is too high. Tell me what you see wrong. Something is got to wrong with the setup. I'm going to redo the trailer during the winter but today got me thinking that I might just steal my friends. How did the trailers come stock? I don't remember.

alletric
11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
More pictures.

alletric
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
And the cage.

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
And the cage.

Something looks funky about that propguard. Take a picture of it from a angle, including where it bolts to the trailer rails under the bunks. It should be attached as shown in pic below.

The bow roller on your winch stand is in about the same place as my Boat Buddy and the boweye comes up under it to trip the lock. See this post, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112627&postcount=17 to see the BAR (1st picture) that goes up on the boweye and that is the way your trailer came from the factory. You can see in the other pictures how simular your roller is to the Boat Buddy location and in my second picture below.

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Bottom cage

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Bottome cage

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Bottom Cage

André
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Something looks funky about that propguard...
Ditto.
Should have more prop clearance i think...

Edit:Saw the pics.Doesn't look like a factory propguard to me...Harold?

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Ditto.
Should have more prop clearance i think...
My prop thinks so as well. Do I lower the cage or raise the bunks. The cage is already scraping the ground through dips in intersections. When it is sitting on the trailer the prop is lower than the cage. It is a 13.7 Inch prop..

André
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
My prop thinks so as well...
:o

If it's already sitting low i don't know another way but raising the bunks.
But wait,Harold is probably in his garage taking some pics of his!;)
Did you really bend the prop twice? Ouch...!

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I edited my post #10, with some pics. Looks like a original propguard and in the right place too. If you scrape going thru intersections, your ball is too high, making the propguard too low to the ground!
I just don't get it about the prop being lower than the propguard, it really doesn't reflect it in post #13.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree.....from the pictures, I can't see how the prop guard and prop are hitting unless the boat is not staying centered on the trailer. If the ramp is very shallow or a the bow of the boat is coming up high, the prop may be hitting bottom during loading.

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
It's not on the side rails but if you turn the blade straight down it is lower than the rear rail across the back. I will take a picture that shows that but all that being said, what is the deal? If I get to a ramp that is steep enough to clear the rear rail the nose gets teapped under the roller. If you pull it out far enough so the bunks guide the boat on straight the prop is in danger of hitting the rear cross rail. Again I did nothing different and loaded my boat on the other trailer and everything was cool. The other trailer has adjustable bunks so there is a good 3 inches of clearance going down the road.

alletric
11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Something looks funky about that propguard. Take a picture of it from a angle, including where it bolts to the trailer rails under the bunks. It should be attached as shown in pic below.

The bow roller on your winch stand is in about the same place as my Boat Buddy and the boweye comes up under it to trip the lock. See this post, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112627&postcount=17 to see the BAR (1st picture) that goes up on the boweye and that is the way your trailer came from the factory. You can see in the other pictures how simular your roller is to the Boat Buddy location and in my second picture below.

The problem is the roller. Looking at this picture I can see hot the roller is trapping the nose and forcing the trailer to be pulled further out so the trailer and boat are more in alaignment. When this happenas and you go to power on the prop hits the guard. Your setup allows it to clear.

cbryan70
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
It still seems as though you are putting the trailing in the water to deep. your boat should center itself

alletric
11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
The basic problem is the roller is making me be too far in the water or too far out of the water. If I go to load on a medium grade ramp with 1 inch of fender out of the water the nose goes under the arm that holds the front roller. Back futher in and it will not center and is still under the arm. Pull further out the prop will hit the rear rail.

alletric
11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
TMC No 1. Hypothetically if you were to tie your boat to a tree and pull the trailer out from under it would the prop catch the rear rail of the cage? IE does the prop hang below the rear rail on the trailer?

alletric
11-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Prop Clearance

mayo93prostar
11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
alletric, I had an 87 prostar and mc trailer and did not have any problem with prop clearance or loading the boat on a variety of ramps. TMCNo1 is the best resource since he currently has an 89. I upgraded to a 93 last year. two key things that you have that are not stock are the roller on the front and the prop itself. it looks like the roller up front is most likely cause. i recommend you convert to the boat buddy setup like Harold has. He has drawings on how to do this. I have boat buddy on my 93 and it is great. Check your prop size with Harold also. Good luck solving your problem.

TMCNo1
11-12-2007, 01:15 AM
TMC No 1. Hypothetically if you were to tie your boat to a tree and pull the trailer out from under it would the prop catch the rear rail of the cage? IE does the prop hang below the rear rail on the trailer?

Not on mine, but I am only running a 13 X 13 prop. A larger diameter prop might cause problems on it, if it were a PowerSlot, but it's not.

The Boat Buddy set up was posted by ETS in the General Discussion FAQ at the top of the page last week, here it is,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=425858&postcount=48

AZDave
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a 93 S and S and ski on a lake with a 6'' drop on the ramp. If I am in too deep, the boat goes under the roller as you described. You have to get the bunks slick, and don't go in too deep. Or raise the bunks. There is a company that makes a composite bunk cover, that would lift your boat about 3". As usual, TMC1 is right on the money, your propguard looks short. Good luck.

alletric
11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I have a 93 S and S and ski on a lake with a 6'' drop on the ramp. If I am in too deep, the boat goes under the roller as you described. You have to get the bunks slick, and don't go in too deep. Or raise the bunks. There is a company that makes a composite bunk cover, that would lift your boat about 3". As usual, TMC1 is right on the money, your propguard looks short. Good luck.
According to what other people have told me that if you had a Powerslot in this year you would see the clearances I have. My problem was the roller was too far back so when the trailer was at the correct load depth on a medium slope it would bet trapped forcing me to pull too far out and bringing the prop clearance into question. The boat sat too far back on the trailer and seemd to have more pressure on the nose and roller than the keel and v block. All clues to the puzzle that me and No. 1 worked out. If it is the correct depth the boat loads and the rear float just enough to clear it. Then when you pull out it drops in there safely. I moved the post slightly foward and installed a boat buddy and the nose just clear and then comes to rest on the buddy . No clearnce problems at all. A simple questiong that needs to be asked is what does not belong hear. Once I answered that it was a simple solution. No more winching that boat and looking like a Poser with an inboard. Been around boats for 20 years and boy did I look dumb loading this thing.

TMCNo1
11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
You didn't and shouldn't have looked dumb loading it on the trailer. There was a problem and without drama you got it worked out to your satisfaction and that is all that matters. It was a honor to help a fellow member!

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Trailer is TOO DEEP!!!!!

O2BESOHUGE
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Prop Clearance

TURN THE PROP WITH YOUR HAND AND SQUARE IT UP SO THAT THE ONE BLADE ISNT POINTING DOWN.

IS THE BALL ON YOUR HITCH TOO HIGH? THAT WOULD MAKE THE REAR OF THE BOAT CLOSER TO THE GROUND

I HAVE AN 89 PRO STAR 190 AND NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS CENTERING THE BOAT ONTHE TRAILER OR SCRAPING THE PROP.

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 04:24 PM
TURN THE PROP WITH YOUR HAND AND SQUARE IT UP SO THAT THE ONE BLADE ISNT POINTING DOWN.

IS THE BALL ON YOUR HITCH TOO HIGH? THAT WOULD MAKE THE REAR OF THE BOAT CLOSER TO THE GROUND

I HAVE AN 89 PRO STAR 190 AND NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS CENTERING THE BOAT ONTHE TRAILER OR SCRAPING THE PROP.

At first, I thought about doing that, but the wife was driving the boat on the trailer and that would have hurt!

O2BESOHUGE
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
You Do That After Its LoAded You Goof!!:d

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
You Do That After Its LoAded You Goof!!:d:uglyhamme :uglyhamme Scared Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always do that, just because, you never know!