PDA

View Full Version : RC Mastercraft boats

87MCProstar
11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
saw a couple of battery powered MC remote control boat, has anyone ever manufactored a gas powered one? just thought it would be pretty cool

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Sometimes when I run my battery powered X-Star, I have gas!

ProTour X9
11-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Sometimes when I run my battery powered X-Star, I have gas!

Hey how fast does that go?? (THE BOAT!;) )

88 PS190
11-11-2007, 02:08 PM
you want it one in nitro? or a larger scale with a zenoah?

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey how fast does that go?? (THE BOAT!;) )

About like a streak of lightning tied to a snails butt! Not all that fast, looks about like a real one doing 12 mph.

Lennyp04
11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought my friend one for his birthday. Too bad he lost the controller!

SunCoast 83
11-12-2007, 02:22 AM
I have two of them, one large and one smaller one. On the larger X Star, they built it with the prop mounted too high. Corrective Action - Place a bottle of Michelob Ultra on either side of the drive shaft to weigh the prop deeper into the water. It also creates a much larger, realistic wake. Remember to periodically rotate, drink, and replenish your R/C Ballast System :)

JoshBuzz
11-12-2007, 02:29 AM
pictures Jay, pictures!!

I wanna see!!

TMCNo1
11-12-2007, 05:55 AM
I have two of them, one large and one smaller one. On the larger X Star, they built it with the prop mounted too high. Corrective Action - Place a bottle of Michelob Ultra on either side of the drive shaft to weigh the prop deeper into the water. It also creates a much larger, realistic wake. Remember to periodically rotate, drink, and replenish your R/C Ballast System :)

My problem is finding little bitty women in little bitty bikinis to lay all over my R/C X-Star!:rolleyes:

Ryan
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
There was a guy who made one a while back, but from scratch rather than converting a New Brite one.

Ryan
11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Nice Sammy details.

uawaterskier
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
rudder looks way out of proportion lol

agua4fun
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
yeah that was me. It was my first boat (I was 14), from scratch, and never had an RC boat before. I had a few different rudders. but that one worked best. go figure. it was HUGE. Fast boat though, about the same speed as the real thing!

Jerseydave
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Let's see twiggy ski behind that one! (the furry bastidge!!!)

http://www.skiingsquirrel.com/images/New%20Folder/slides/Twiggy%20Santa%20Suit%20Christmas%20Card.html

Lennyp04
11-12-2007, 06:23 PM
There was a guy who made one a while back, but from scratch rather than converting a New Brite one.

Is that Rick James in the drivers seat?

88 PS190
11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Proportion isn't always the way to go when trying to make something work using glow engines, they have a bit of oomph.

Lennyp04
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I forgot to say. That boat from scratch is amazing I wish I would be able to do something like that. I was gonna build a decoration one outta soda cans but havent finsihed collecting them yet.

Ryan
11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
yeah that was me. It was my first boat (I was 14), from scratch, and never had an RC boat before. I had a few different rudders. but that one worked best. go figure. it was HUGE. Fast boat though, about the same speed as the real thing!

How did you do theMC logo/decal and the Sammy signature?

87MCProstar
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
that is awesome...how did you do it?

87MCProstar
11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
that is awesome...how did you do it? that was exactly what i was looking for.

88 PS190
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM
That looks like a balsa hull. So you'd go find balsa sheet and cut out profiles that are the shape of the hull going through the boat. You then mount them all square on a stringer or more likely two stringers. And plank it in thin balsa sheet. You then sand, seal, sand seal, a few times, and finish the balsa to avoid fuel and water absorbtion.

You pick up the radio gear you want to use (two servos, the steering might end up being a high torque depending on scale of boat) a glo engine with a marine head (probably end up with an OS product again match to scale of boat)

Running hardware is available online you'll want a flex shaft with a welded stud on it already for the prop, and there is a collet for the engine.

For MC decals, print it off the computer, then either A: put it on a sheet of cardboard and carefully with a small pin punch out the outlines of the letters, then spray lightly to transfer a dot to the hull in each of the holes. Then you apply liquid mask to the hull, and with an exacto cut out following the dots carefully and square. Peel out the letters from liquid mask. Spray the letters.
B: cut out stencils and hope for the best.
C: cut from vinyl sticker stock and apply.

For the sammy you either just need to practice and get close to being able to write it. OR you can technically project it onto there by printing onto a transparency and shining a bulb through it, reaching in from the side and carefully tracing what you want... could be other ways for that too.

Extras you'll need. Fuel tank, fuel line, Rudder (hardware store metal stock and some soldering/brazing). Starter battery (glow starter), fuel - get a good quality marine RC fuel recommended by the engine maker, they have alot of oil, like airplane fuel, not like car fuel so much.

Have fun!!

You'll need to run the exaust, there are watercooled headers (good for not burning the balsa and also for cooling the exaust so the engine cools more efficiently.

uawaterskier
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
i was just trying to be funny. That is amazing, even more amazing you did that at 14. That looks very professional.:cool:

X2M
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
My problem is finding little bitty women in little bitty bikinis to lay all over my R/C X-Star!:rolleyes:

We have a R/C X-Star too. My girls like to put their 'Polly Pockets' in it and drive them around the pool. They are just the right size and come with teeny binkini's too.

TMCNo1
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
We have a R/C X-Star too. My girls like to put their 'Polly Pockets' in it and drive them around the pool. They are just the right size and come with teeny binkini's too.

All right, if the 'Polly Pockets' ever come East, they have a X-Star to lay around on here!:rolleyes:

SunCoast 83
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Josh Buzz, I have one pic of it in my gallery, however none of the Beer Ballast. I will produce one soon however .

RexDog1
11-13-2007, 08:53 PM
All right, if the 'Polly Pockets' ever come East, they have a X-Star to lay around on here!:rolleyes:

OMG I HATE POLLY POCKET small parts all over the place:mad:

but she looks good in the X Star:D

Monte
11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
OMG I HATE POLLY POCKET small parts all over the place:mad:

but she looks good in the X Star:D

Man I bet GI Joe freaks when she drives his boat:rolleyes: :D

agua4fun
11-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Lenny, It's speed racer :)
USAWater - I know you were kidding, no problem, everyone mentions the rudder.

88PS190 is right on for the correct way to do it.

I was young and hadnt ever modeled before, so its made of 1/8" oak ply with 1/2" ply stringers. I used auto bondo to fair the hull. Its all quite heavy. The engine is an Os pull start, with a direct drive solid shaft. The Mastercraft sticker on the sides were made as a favor by the guy who does alot of MC's printing, and the Sammy was hand done with LOTS of practice. I also hand made the exhaust manafold so it would fit correctly in the engine box, using an aluminum block, a drill, and a file.

88PS190, depending on where you are on elk lake, I made this boat to match the boat from white birch lodge (familiar?). hmm turns out it was a 1995, so i must have been 16.

I will attach a few more pix

agua4fun
11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
The platform even comes off with pins, just like the real thing!

uawaterskier
11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Lenny, It's speed racer :)
USAWater - I know you were kidding, no problem, everyone mentions the rudder.

88PS190 is right on for the correct way to do it.

I was young and hadnt ever modeled before, so its made of 1/8" oak ply with 1/2" ply stringers. I used auto bondo to fair the hull. Its all quite heavy. The engine is an Os pull start, with a direct drive solid shaft. The Mastercraft sticker on the sides were made as a favor by the guy who does alot of MC's printing, and the Sammy was hand done with LOTS of practice. I also hand made the exhaust manafold so it would fit correctly in the engine box, using an aluminum block, a drill, and a file.

88PS190, depending on where you are on elk lake, I made this boat to match the boat from white birch lodge (familiar?). hmm turns out it was a 1995, so i must have been 16.

I will attach a few more pixmy question is, what keeps the engine from hydrolocking if you take a big wave? Also what does it use for a transmission?

uawaterskier
post number 2

uawaterskier
and TRIPLE POST FTW

88 PS190
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
made this boat to match the boat from white birch lodge (familiar?).

Well white birch lodge has had ALOT of mastercrafts, nothing else since the late 70's I believe, starting with this green flake finish.

We're on the east side, further south on the lake. We are about 6 docks south of what's called rex terrace.

On this we're the green mark, white birch is the blue mark.

Great people, but they always have new wakeboarders in the water, and since they loop alot we just avoid that stretch of water.

Nice work on that. I think you'll find bondo is a bit heavy duty for small scale RC stuff. There are sanding sealers that will fill it with out the weight but this is one of those things that gets played with.

nice tracking fins ;)

TMCNo1
11-14-2007, 06:30 AM
All it needs is a LQ9 and it would get up and go,

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
my question is, what keeps the engine from hydrolocking if you take a big wave? Also what does it use for a transmission?
Nothing would keep it from hydrolocking, but it would die immediately. Sometimes you can save it, sometimes you can't.

Transmission = none, direct drive from the looks of it. Transmissions are available, but usually for larger scale and need the torque for a big prop rather the speed. Not much of a selection for nitro motor clutchs in the marine R/C world yet (I have been looking for one myself).

agua4fun
11-14-2007, 10:32 AM
88ps190, I know exactly where Rex Terrace is. I worked at the lodge for 4 summers driving the boats, and still make 3 or 4 trips up a summer.
I always felt bad about creating so much traffic for everyone.

W4T is right - nothing keeps if from swamping, but i run it in a no wake zone, so no waves to worry about. I have filled it a few times, but i was lucky not to wreck anything. No clutch, it runs about 5mph as soon as i drop it in the water. I always wanted to make a working skier for it.

88 PS190
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
What sort of MC do you have?

You didn't happen to be at the paddlebouy race with an anniversary prostar this august did you? If so I also saw you with a skier down south of spencer's bay on a very windy day, but the wind was mostly from the west that day.

88 PS190
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
For nitro clutches. Traxxas has one for their marinized trx engine. So that gives you the option of either running the traxxas engine or attaching the clutch from a TRX to an OS... Which is probably doable, the cranks on the TRX just use a tapered cone and a nut to hold the flywheels on, then the nut is tapped for an allen to hold the clutch on. So it would be doable for sure.

I always have wanted to mount a nitro engine with a differential set mounted in line with very stiff grease in it. And a servo to lock the outer side (planetary gear not ball diff) then if you stopped the outside the output shaft would rotate backwards (reverse!)

Add on, wouldn't be bad to add a waterproof radio box for your reciever in the bow of the boat, servos are cheap for small scale stuff, so i would probably just tape them up, some of these receivers are gettin $$$

agua4fun
11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Nope, i couldnt make the paddlebouy race this year. first time in a while. If it was the stars and stripes with the flag graphics, boat, i know them. Otherwise prob not. I have a 2001 PS190 SammyDuvall. Blue Metalflake.

Good idea about the reverse cluch setup. Id be interested in seeing a detail of it.

a clutch would be great! I just put my radio in a plastic bag up front, with lots of twists. It was a cheap set. couldnt find a box small enough to fit up there. I keep thinking about pulling all of the guts out of it, and fitting it into one of the new plastic MCs. If only they made a Prostar.

88 PS190
11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Um... blue metalflake... hmm...

Do you happen to know a guy who hopped onto a catamaran with his beer and no life vest, sailed out, got a gust fell off, the extension from the rudders got caught behind the tramp and the main sheet was tied off.

And so he sat there in the water while the sail boat took off on him..

And then I grabbed the guy up and intercepted the sailboat, then I recall a blue metalflake prostar pulling up just after interception..

Could that have been yours?

agua4fun
11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Wasn't me. What a mess!! Good thing you were there. Thats a big lake to try to swim to shore! I hope he wasn't from WBL.

kvalve
11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Barts has xstar RC boats

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/RC_Toys/Mastercraft_17%94_Radio_Control_Boat/index.asp

88 PS190
11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Wasn't me. What a mess!! Good thing you were there. Thats a big lake to try to swim to shore! I hope he wasn't from WBL.

oh he was, the people in the MC that came out knew him for sure.

if you're drinking its gotta be pretty hard to handle a cat like that, i mean it wasn't one of those 13's and he has the jib out too.

Just have to get the sheets loose before you go over.

I'm gonna figure out which MC you have and i'm sure I have a story about you too.

uawaterskier
11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Nothing would keep it from hydrolocking, but it would die immediately. Sometimes you can save it, sometimes you can't.

so you have to buy a new internals for that motor everytime you take a wave? Sounds like that would get pricey if i had one:D

88 PS190
11-19-2007, 09:02 PM
so you have to buy a new internals for that motor everytime you take a wave? Sounds like that would get pricey if i had one:D

Not necessarily new internals, these engines are super simple.

Typically they just shut off, then you take the glo plug out, put some marvel mystery oil in there, and pull it over then repeat over and over to coat the internals.

Not much to go wrong in there. If you do break something normally it is the connecting rod from all the momentum and suddenly the cylinder is full of fluid which stops the rotation suddenly.

Those things aren't super expensive.

You could fit a valve that would prevent water entry into the carb. It would basically be a section of tube with a ball bearing in it. In the event of a roll over (remember the carb is up in the engine cover, in order to get a wave to go up in there to the carb it has to flip or flood quite a bit.

If it rolled however the ball would fall towards the end of the pipe and plug it up shutting down the air and killing the engine. You would still need to dry the engine out and put some oil in there to protect the bearings. (I said marvel mystery oil, which is basically atf or after run oil)

Next up full scale mastercraft. What I really wish I had access to were dimensions for width and height in sections through the hull stern to bow. The more accurate the better as at each of those sections a thin plywood cross section would be constructed, and mocked up. Over the form fleece (yes polyester fleece) would be stretched and resined, allowed to harden and then one layer of fiberglass cloth, followed by sanding, and more resin, till smooth. Then sealer/primer, and sand, tinted primer, and sand, where you get through the tinted primer sooner you sand more, where you don't get through the tint you have a potential low spot. So you're just sanding till its smooth and the low spots disappear. Lots of work, but the hard part is still the proper dimensions. Then you rock out a zenoah or a weedwacker you've mutilated and boom... mastercraft RC boat 6' long. or however you like it.