PDA

View Full Version : Extra Speakers in ProStar 190

wats218
11-09-2007, 05:27 PM
It seams that everybody has pretty impressive sound systems on their boats. I simply have a kenwood head unit with two speakers. They sound good when the boat is stopped, but you would never be able to hear them from the rope when you're underway. I have a 96 ProStar 190 and there are only the two speaker locations by the front of the gunnels. Anybody with a similar model, where else did you mount the speakers?

I was thinking about putting them in the rear side of the engine cover or making boxes and putting them in the rear of the gunnels. I don't have a tower so tower speakers are not an option, and space is limited since i store the ski's and boards in the gunnels.

Any suggestions?

stuartmcnair
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
in an enclosure under the dash and aim them to the rear...or build an enclosure that is portable to put behind the driver's seat

BrianM
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
It seams that everybody has pretty impressive sound systems on their boats. I simply have a kenwood head unit with two speakers. They sound good when the boat is stopped, but you would never be able to hear them from the rope when you're underway. I have a 96 ProStar 190 and there are only the two speaker locations by the front of the gunnels. Anybody with a similar model, where else did you mount the speakers?

I was thinking about putting them in the rear side of the engine cover or making boxes and putting them in the rear of the gunnels. I don't have a tower so tower speakers are not an option, and space is limited since i store the ski's and boards in the gunnels.

Any suggestions?
You can put them in the gunnel pads in the rear. The '97s already had the cut outs there. I am running a Pioneer deck and four Infinity Kappa speakers in the stock locations. I also have a 10" sub under the bow. I just run the cabin speakers off of deck power and have a 300w amp for the sub. Nothing crazy or all that expensive and it sounds great.

Here is a pic showing the stock location of the rear speakers.

wats218
11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I think i'm gonna try to mount a pair above the gunnels. Thanks for the ideas.

Memphis Mastercraft
11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
i have a 190 with polk 6x9s and 2 5 inch speakers in the back, but the key to the setup is the 75x4amp. setup sounds great and will get loud

Romanod
11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a prostar 190 1998 and have 6x9's behind the seats and at the rear. I installed the second set behind the seats. The cutouts were there all that was need was to cut the leather with a small X and push the speaker in. You can find the speaker location buy just pressing on the leather.

Romanod
11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a prostar 190 1998 and have 6x9's behind the seats and at the rear. I installed the second set behind the seats. The cutouts were there all that was need was to cut the leather with a small X and push the speaker in. You can find the speaker location buy just pressing on the leather.

wats218
11-12-2007, 07:25 AM

I'm confused, where exactly are your speakers located? Behind the seats, does that refer to behind the driver and observers seats? And where are the rear ones mounted? Do you have any pictures?

Memphis Mastercraft
11-12-2007, 08:58 AM
My 6x9s are right before the gunnels start on the right and left side so you can stick you hands in the gunnels and access the back of the speakers, the other two 5 in speakers are at the rear of the gunnels, be carefull when you put skis or equipment in the gunnels that you do not hit the back of the speakers they can come unhooked.