PDA

View Full Version : Cracked oil-bath bearing cap (plastic)

Jerseydave
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
After my final road trip with the boat, one of my trailer bearings was leaking oil all over my wheel/tire.

The problem was two-fold...........leaking rear wheel seal AND a cracked plastic see-thru cap. Replaced bearing cap with the new style aluminum one. I will be replacing all 4 of them with the new style, since I trailer alot.

Just thought I'd let everyone know the new caps are aluminum with a clear inspection cover, better design.

Roonie's
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I assume when you say new you mean 2008. My 2007 trailer still has the plastic caps. Once one of them crack I will for sure be replacing them with the aluminum ones.

TMCNo1
11-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I assume when you say new you mean 2008. My 2007 trailer still has the plastic caps. Once one of them crack I will for sure be replacing them with the aluminum ones.

Probably not a new trailer, but the new alum. see thru caps he is going to or has replaced the plastic ones with.
Consider a cracked cap could cause oil leakage, water intrusion, seal damage and/or even including bearing damage, I'd consider replacing them over the winter, you have 6 months to do it since the off season.

Jerseydave
11-09-2007, 10:08 PM

My trailer is a 2005, but my dealer just sold me the new alum. caps.
Don't wait for them to crack on the road and lose all your oil, best to take action now in the off season. That's why I'm changing all 4 on my trailer, easy job. Unscrew old one, screw-on new and fill 1/2 way up site glass with oil. They recommend 50W but I used 75W-90 syn. gear oil. Better protection this way, all wheel bearings get warm in the summer.

Roonie's
11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
My trailer is a 2005, but my dealer just sold me the new alum. caps.
Don't wait for them to crack on the road and lose all your oil, best to take action now in the off season. That's why I'm changing all 4 on my trailer, easy job. Unscrew old one, screw-on new and fill 1/2 way up site glass with oil. They recommend 50W but I used 75W-90 syn. gear oil. Better protection this way, all wheel bearings get warm in the summer.

Good point and will do this winter.

jmyers
11-10-2007, 01:34 PM
My caps cracked twice and the dealer replaced all 4 with the aluminum caps! They seem to be much better and purty too! :D